GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Big Newb Question Here?????

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/07, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Newb Question Here?????

Can someone please try and define drone for me? Is it something when accel or when coming out of the rpm range?

Let the Ball Breaking commence
Old 1/13/07, 04:45 AM

Old 1/13/07, 04:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Most people will agree that "drone" is a constant resonance, noise, vibration, humming sound, etc. when you're cruising at a certain RPM. With some different aftermarket exhausts, some will drone right at 1900rpm. It effects some people more than others......some like it, some don't mind it, and others hate it.

Just don't ask about trumpeting though yet newbie- your head might explode.

LOL!
Old 1/13/07, 04:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberEater
Can someone please try and define drone for me? Is it something when accel or when coming out of the rpm range?

Let the Ball Breaking commence

I take a shot at it. Drone is a constant resonance sound that comes from certain mufflers around the 1800-2100 rpm range when cruising. Most cars with stock gears it will be when you are running 55-65 mph. Drone is a very annoying to most as it sounds like it is in your head. You can create droning by sticking your fingers into your ears and humming loudly. Try it. If you like this constant annoying sound then we all can suggest about 6 or 8 types of mufflers to buy. The problem is it happens at a speed range most of drive alot in. 55 to 65 mph. I believe since the mufflers are at the rear of our cars that the trunks act just like sub woofer cabinets. I have a Vert and it is even worst since the hole for the top is in the trunk. Did you try the fingers in the ear trick yet? That is what drone sounds like.
Scott
Old 1/13/07, 11:14 AM

Thank you Trumpeting?
Old 1/13/07, 11:22 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't let drone be the reason you don't get an exhuast. It's most of the older guy's that it annoy's I like the drone except when the window's are up for a long period of time. With the window's down it's like music.
Old 1/13/07, 11:46 AM
GT Member

I have the drone in a couple of my cars with FlowMasters. It's not too bad so I've never done anything about it. But I was warned about the Mustang by my exhaust shop so I got Magnaflows instead, and just as the shop said, no drone and still sounds sweet under a load. I'll admit sometimes the kid in me thinks it's too quite at idle and no-load conditions but I think over time, the drone might get old and anyways, the mufflers will get a little louder over time so maybe the kid in me will be satisfied. We'll see. Either way, I'm told that on the dyno, there's no difference between the two.
Old 1/13/07, 11:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Don't let drone be the reason you don't get an exhuast. It's most of the older guy's that it annoy's I like the drone except when the window's are up for a long period of time. With the window's down it's like music.

Rubbereater... The young guys just have too much testosterone and not enough soft tissue between their ears. This is coming from my friend Adaaammm who is looking into high flow cats and resonators to tone his system down some. Good thing he lives in southern California, cause if he lived here in Ohio in January he wouldn't be driving around with his windows down to help with the drone. So what end of the age spectrum are you on?
Scooot
Old 1/13/07, 11:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RubberEater
Thank you Trumpeting?
I'll let Tom281 explain what trumpeting is. It's not as bad as drone but it is close.
Old 1/13/07, 12:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Rubbereater... The young guys just have too much testosterone and not enough soft tissue between their ears. This is coming from my friend Adaaammm who is looking into high flow cats and resonators to tone his system down some. Good thing he lives in southern California, cause if he lived here in Ohio in January he wouldn't be driving around with his windows down to help with the drone. So what end of the age spectrum are you on?
Scooot

Gotta love this California wheather
Old 1/13/07, 12:20 PM

I'm 25!! This is not my first 8cyl car, but it is the first one with some *****. I already have the exhaust set-up, UPR o/r x, Pypes street-pro mufflers, and soon to come, BBK ceramic coated shorty's. I love the deep muscle sound at low rpm's, and when it goes WOT, it sounds like a @#$%!&' race car at the strip, I absoulutly love it I got a video of my dyno run, my local speed shop , Tillman Speed, will be posting it soon. That way you guys can check it out
Old 1/13/07, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scoot and Adaaam sittin' in a tree......lol . Both of these guys are right- like I said "drone" all depends on not only your own definition of it but also your tolerance to it.
Old 1/13/07, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Scoot and Adaaam sittin' in a tree......lol . Both of these guys are right- like I said "drone" all depends on not only your own definition of it but also your tolerance to it.
Tommmmy,
This coming from the guy asking about resonators just this morning. We are just hopeless!! Aren't we?