GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/06, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06tungstenstang
it seems like certain people dont appreciate others trying to save them the money and aggravation.i appreciate all your help
Some people don't see it as an aggravation but as a challenge and actually enjoy it. Some people don't rely on others to tell them what works or doesn't. They go out and make it work.

If some people paid more than others, so what. Some people drive Lincolns, some drive Pinto's, but they both get you to where you are going.
Old 7/26/06, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by redbullet
If some people paid more than others, so what. Some people drive Lincolns, some drive Pinto's, but they both get you to where you are going.
...Some people **** in the wind....Comments like this make me wonder if you belong on this car enthusiast's board.
Old 7/26/06, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ignorance is bliss
Old 7/26/06, 05:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
Ignorance is bliss
I stopped following this thread when I tried to point out that increasing the rear brake torque(14" rears) would throw off brake bias when using the stock 12.4 Front Brakes.
Old 7/26/06, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
...Some people **** in the wind....Comments like this make me wonder if you belong on this car enthusiast's board.
Ditto
Old 7/26/06, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lokius
Ignorance is bliss
Apparently it likes company
Old 7/26/06, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
I stopped following this thread when I tried to point out that increasing the rear brake torque(14" rears) would throw off brake bias when using the stock 12.4 Front Brakes.
Matco makes a nifty Brake Torque Gauge, try it and note the difference between the front and rear.

The fronts do nearly 80% of the braking force on the car.

Adding 14" rotors to the rear doesn't upset it, and yes, I have tried.

And the reason only the rears are completed is because Baer, who makes the 14" rear disc, has been having problems with their supplier for the front brake kits. You can call Dutch to verify this since what I say seems to be diminished.

Some of you here talk down to others or make snide remarks that aren't called for. I made a statement based on the info I had on hand at the time. Instead of someone saying 'hey, ck with ...' I get business 101 and customer service 102.

So I'll continue to mod my car my way, spend my money the way I see fit and you guys can sit and wait for someone else to tell you what to do.
Old 7/26/06, 06:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by redbullet
Matco makes a nifty Brake Torque Gauge, try it and note the difference between the front and rear.

The fronts do nearly 80% of the braking force on the car.

Adding 14" rotors to the rear doesn't upset it, and yes, I have tried.

And the reason only the rears are completed is because Baer, who makes the 14" rear disc, has been having problems with their supplier for the front brake kits. You can call Dutch to verify this since what I say seems to be diminished.

Some of you here talk down to others or make snide remarks that aren't called for. I made a statement based on the info I had on hand at the time. Instead of someone saying 'hey, ck with ...' I get business 101 and customer service 102.

So I'll continue to mod my car my way, spend my money the way I see fit and you guys can sit and wait for someone else to tell you what to do.
I think you should go back to brake bias 101. Your tone has been snide from the get go, hence why everyone is treating you like a child. Spend money how you want it's a free country. FYI....Rear Brakes are a waste of money. I don't need anyone to tell me that. The GT500 and FR500C use the OEM rears with special pads, that should tell you something. I guess you will come back with some comment that goes against Multimatic or Ford Racing, but in this case I'll let the engineers tell me what to do.
Old 7/26/06, 07:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
FYI....Rear Brakes are a waste of money. I don't need anyone to tell me that. The GT500 and FR500C use the OEM rears with special pads, that should tell you something.
How do you feel about Power Slot rotors for the rear with better pads combined with a 13" SBCC Front Force 10 3-Piston Aluminum Caliper Disc Brake Kit?
Old 7/26/06, 07:27 PM

Anyone looked at the AP Racing brakes? For those who dont know AP supplies many Formula 1 and Nascar teams.

http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=AP4100

Old 7/26/06, 07:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
How do you feel about Power Slot rotors for the rear with better pads combined with a 13" SBCC Front Force 10 3-Piston Aluminum Caliper Disc Brake Kit?
Sounds like a good combo. You might want to consider the GT500 spec pads for the rear.
Old 7/26/06, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by muscle_man
Anyone looked at the AP Racing brakes? For those who dont know AP supplies many Formula 1 and Nascar teams.

http://www.stillen.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=AP4100
My friend runs AP racing 6 piston calipers on a few of his race cars. AP IMO is the best in the business when it comes to calipers. Stillen is also a well known name too. The price is a bit high though for my liking.
Old 7/26/06, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

AP Racing makes great stuff, my friend ran some of their race systems on his car, but he said Alcon was better and switched to them, and he said he hasnt been happier. For a street car like this mustang, I dont think you can go wrong with AP Racing, Rotora, Stoptech, Brembo or anything else, just make sure you get something that works with the ABS, has a good warranty, and is well made
Old 7/27/06, 07:11 AM
Service Manager

Received 445 Likes on 221 Posts
Originally Posted by pumpkinfish
Power Slot/Power Stop rotors are garbage...cast in China rotors that are inferior to American cast rotors. EVERY set of those rotors I have seen have cracked....ANY rotor can crack given the right conditions but those are more prone to do so due to the inferior castings/material. Don't waste you money on those.

Also remember that the more aggressive your brake pad, the more they are going to tear/wear the rotors.
Old 7/27/06, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Power Slot/Power Stop rotors are garbage...cast in China rotors that are inferior to American cast rotors. EVERY set of those rotors I have seen have cracked....ANY rotor can crack given the right conditions but those are more prone to do so due to the inferior castings/material. Don't waste you money on those.

Also remember that the more aggressive your brake pad, the more they are going to tear/wear the rotors.
Absolutely correct, cracked two sets for fronts and one set of rears on my 2005 track car. Went back to the stock rotors and saved $50 per rotor.

They are CRAP!!!
Old 7/27/06, 03:21 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep stock rotors on rear and just change the pads.
Old 7/27/06, 10:25 PM
GT Member

Has anyone heard comments about SSBC's Force 10 V8 kit? Or the matching rear kit?
Old 7/28/06, 05:52 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by daleksarewimps
Has anyone heard comments about SSBC's Force 10 V8 kit? Or the matching rear kit?
Yup, it's not been officially released yet.
Old 7/28/06, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Yup, it's not been officially released yet.
Thanks. Is SSBC any good compared to StopTech, Baer, Brembo and other big name brands?
Old 7/28/06, 10:16 AM
Service Manager

Yes, I would put SSBC up there along with Baer, AP & Brembo....I've never personally used or installed Stoptech so I have no opinion on them at this time.

Quick Reply: Big Brakes