GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/06, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by creedog
CORRECT ARE CORRCT LOKIUS!!!

In looking into this mod further I found some more info.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30435

I guess there would be more needed than just the gefracing kit to make it all work properly. Post #9 gives good description of possible parts needed to complete the switch. But I still might consider it.

Sorry, I guess I was the second to post this link. But the info does make you think it is not such any easy 1-2-3 swap.
This isn't any different than the brake kits offered by any of the big brake companies, or companies like Steeda, Saleen or Roush.
Old 7/23/06, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's funny you mentioned Steeda, Saleen, and Roush, because all their brakes are made by Stoptech, which make all their brake kits based on custom specifications, so the calipers, rotors, piston size, etc. all vary between vehicles. For instance when they release there GT500 Big Brake Kit, it will be different than the Mustang Gt Big Brake Kit, because although the vehicles are similar in bolt patterns and other main components, much of the vehicles are actually different, and when it comes to brakes, something that can be quite costly, both financially and to those you love, it might be smart to get something designed for your vehicle.

Just my two cents, just so you know, I have a Stoptech Silver Big Brake Kit in my house, waiting to be installed
Old 7/23/06, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

They're all 14" rotors, 4 piston calipers. Once I get home tomorrow I will post the piston size and we can compare.

I'm truthfully not concerned. Just adapt new braking techniques as you would in any new car and enjoy the additional braking when needed.
Old 7/23/06, 09:17 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by redbullet
I can see where this is going, but I'll play along.

It's real nice that you have the inside line. Some of us aren't as privileged. My Hotsheet isn't but two weeks old.

If Kevin has the best price he should have included it, but he did not. Therefore I went with what I had.

As a matter of fact, Kevin's first post concerning this upgrade was the 18th of July in another thread. My first was on the 19th and Kevin responded on the 20th in this thread that he was still checking to see which wheels they would fit. That tells me he is not ready to sell what he has, or at the least, sell to someone he doesn't know. Then Kevin posted in another thread that he would sell the parts etc. By that time I had already ordered from GEF.

I'm not blaming Kevin or anyone else. Just stating that with the info I had at the time, and currently published, that GEF had the best price.
I have no inside line...be careful what you assume as it usually ends up backfiring on you. The simple fact is that the brakes were purchased by one of my customers to put on his car....they would not fit with his already purchased wheels so they are available for sale. But don't blame Kevin for not putting them on his sheet....equal blame is available simply because you didn't even ask him.....but really honestly it makes no difference to "me" where you spend your money....this is all about people trying to help learn more about a product before selling it.

Kevin has not jumped the gun to make a buck like GEF because he simply wanted to know everything he could about selling a product rather than just put it out there and leave you the customer holding the bag...my customer bought them knowing they might not fit but wanted them anyway. I can assure you and bet good money that GEF hasn't even attempted to install these on a non-shelby as I was doing for Kevin...I have no stake in this but Kevin wants to know exactly what wheels will fit so that he can give you an option...he also wants to be certain it will work because of the liability involved....I guess everyone else is so quick to rush to market for a buck that they don't care if it will work for you or not...apparently that is your problem. Kevin was waiting on me to test fit a few wheels before he offered them up for sale so that he could offer an alternative wheel and let his customers know what he knew would not fit.

Rule of thumb to save yourself aggravation and disappointment is do not be in such a hurry to buy a brand new product...there are people out for a fast buck and those who actually care if the part they are selling you will work for you....my first time speaking with Kevin was in this particular case and I can tell you that he is actually interested in knowing if a product will work for you BEFORE selling it to you. Call GEF and ask them about this and they won't be able to tell you a thing...I can say that pretty confidently considering what I do for a living and how many times I have seen this sort of thing in the past.

Patience often pays off....you might find yourself in the same position as my customer who has a set of brakes to sell...or you might be buying a new set of rims(I already know that answer). I now know after talking to Kevin why he didn't list them...simply because he is trying to save people the disappointment of spending a large sum of money only to find out they either can't use them or must buy new wheels.

This isn't my first rodeo either...one of the things I specialize in is performance brakes and I've already been through the PSH Baer brake install and test fitting many wheels before settling on what we did and I can tell you the Brembos are once again just like they were with the 2000 R brakes...hard to find a wheel that fits.

There are some of us who although we don't have to, do things to try to save others money and aggravation...it's a thankless job and Kevin knows that nobody apreciates him waiting to go to market in search of more information and I know that nobody cares that I donate my time to install them multiple times and test fit multiple wheels....it all boils down to "I gotta have it first" and "These guys are the cheapest"....in the end though when you are disappointed because it's not what you expected you cannot blame anyone else. I will tell you that there will either be a lot of people with Shelby brakes boxed in their living rooms or a lot of new wheels sales once it is discovered what wheels actually will work other than the New Shelby wheels....

Very few people out there share my mentality on this but at my shop I refuse to sell a product if I cannot tell my customer EXACTLY what they can expect from that product...which means that I have used or tested it myself. This benefits both myself and the customer. It was nice when I first spoke to Kevin that he shared this outlook because I can assure you that it is a minority among parts vendors out there today.
Old 7/24/06, 04:03 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,350 Posts
Paul ,I Really Appreciate you Taking the Time to Help me Out on the Shelby Brake Issues. You are Correct I do Like to Know what I am Selling up Front. While Sometimes I can Pretty Much Cross Reference Part Numbers and be Comfortable that a New Part will Fit In This case there is way to much at Stake to dive in without some Research. I will be Test Fitting Some Selby Brakes Myself as Time Allows.

kc
Old 7/24/06, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

A little off topic, but since these brakes require wheel clearance, any idea when the GT500 wheels will be available to order and any ideas about price Kevin?
Old 7/24/06, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Shouldn't it work with the GT500 Brake ECU/HCU and booster? Sure tacking on those starts to add up, but eh, I'm wondering why exactly they won't work at all with the GT's when you can just buy a Baer big brake kit or whatnot and bolt em right up.

edit -- Ah I misunderstood, it's a wheel issue. Well I do like the GT500 wheels....
Old 7/24/06, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
I have no inside line...be careful what you assume as it usually ends up backfiring on you. The simple fact is that the brakes were purchased by one of my customers to put on his car....they would not fit with his already purchased wheels so they are available for sale. But don't blame Kevin for not putting them on his sheet....equal blame is available simply because you didn't even ask him.....but really honestly it makes no difference to "me" where you spend your money....this is all about people trying to help learn more about a product before selling it.

Kevin has not jumped the gun to make a buck like GEF because he simply wanted to know everything he could about selling a product rather than just put it out there and leave you the customer holding the bag...my customer bought them knowing they might not fit but wanted them anyway. I can assure you and bet good money that GEF hasn't even attempted to install these on a non-shelby as I was doing for Kevin...I have no stake in this but Kevin wants to know exactly what wheels will fit so that he can give you an option...he also wants to be certain it will work because of the liability involved....I guess everyone else is so quick to rush to market for a buck that they don't care if it will work for you or not...apparently that is your problem. Kevin was waiting on me to test fit a few wheels before he offered them up for sale so that he could offer an alternative wheel and let his customers know what he knew would not fit.

Rule of thumb to save yourself aggravation and disappointment is do not be in such a hurry to buy a brand new product...there are people out for a fast buck and those who actually care if the part they are selling you will work for you....my first time speaking with Kevin was in this particular case and I can tell you that he is actually interested in knowing if a product will work for you BEFORE selling it to you. Call GEF and ask them about this and they won't be able to tell you a thing...I can say that pretty confidently considering what I do for a living and how many times I have seen this sort of thing in the past.

Patience often pays off....you might find yourself in the same position as my customer who has a set of brakes to sell...or you might be buying a new set of rims(I already know that answer). I now know after talking to Kevin why he didn't list them...simply because he is trying to save people the disappointment of spending a large sum of money only to find out they either can't use them or must buy new wheels.

This isn't my first rodeo either...one of the things I specialize in is performance brakes and I've already been through the PSH Baer brake install and test fitting many wheels before settling on what we did and I can tell you the Brembos are once again just like they were with the 2000 R brakes...hard to find a wheel that fits.

There are some of us who although we don't have to, do things to try to save others money and aggravation...it's a thankless job and Kevin knows that nobody apreciates him waiting to go to market in search of more information and I know that nobody cares that I donate my time to install them multiple times and test fit multiple wheels....it all boils down to "I gotta have it first" and "These guys are the cheapest"....in the end though when you are disappointed because it's not what you expected you cannot blame anyone else. I will tell you that there will either be a lot of people with Shelby brakes boxed in their living rooms or a lot of new wheels sales once it is discovered what wheels actually will work other than the New Shelby wheels....

Very few people out there share my mentality on this but at my shop I refuse to sell a product if I cannot tell my customer EXACTLY what they can expect from that product...which means that I have used or tested it myself. This benefits both myself and the customer. It was nice when I first spoke to Kevin that he shared this outlook because I can assure you that it is a minority among parts vendors out there today.
Where did I blame Kevin? If Kevin wants to do research before publishing any info or prices that's his prerogative, I was not and am not faulting him.

Did I ask for a dissertation on how Kevin or you conduct business. How you conduct yourselves is strictly up to you guys. It's your business and I have not attempted to tell you how to run it.

Where does it state that I need to call anybody to confirm prices or fitment? That's my decision.

I simply stated that the price given from GEF was the cheapest I had seen. If I am proven wrong, then I am wrong, but it is still the cheapest I had seen at that time. Not the next day, or the day after that.

And that was my point. Not all the other BS afterwards.
Old 7/24/06, 07:44 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by redbullet
Where did I blame Kevin? If Kevin wants to do research before publishing any info or prices that's his prerogative, I was not and am not faulting him.

Did I ask for a dissertation on how Kevin or you conduct business. How you conduct yourselves is strictly up to you guys. It's your business and I have not attempted to tell you how to run it.

Where does it state that I need to call anybody to confirm prices or fitment? That's my decision.

I simply stated that the price given from GEF was the cheapest I had seen. If I am proven wrong, then I am wrong, but it is still the cheapest I had seen at that time. Not the next day, or the day after that.

And that was my point. Not all the other BS afterwards.
You seemed to come across that it was Kevin's fault for not putting it on his "hot sheet" when there was a reason for it and all it would have taken was to ask.

Again...it's your money...I was only trying to help save people some money since everyone is out to get the most for their $$$

The point is that just because someone jumps to sell something and they and maybe one or two others list a price and it's the "cheapest you've seen" doesn't mean that it is....it just happened to be what you had "seen"...asking questions can never hurt and you might be surprised as to what you find by doing so rather than relying on only what is presented to you.
Old 7/24/06, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
svopaul,
I have 18 inch American Racing Shelby Razors. Do you think the brakes will fit these wheels?

Earl
Old 7/25/06, 03:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
You seemed to come across that it was Kevin's fault for not putting it on his "hot sheet" when there was a reason for it and all it would have taken was to ask.

Again...it's your money...I was only trying to help save people some money since everyone is out to get the most for their $$$

The point is that just because someone jumps to sell something and they and maybe one or two others list a price and it's the "cheapest you've seen" doesn't mean that it is....it just happened to be what you had "seen"...asking questions can never hurt and you might be surprised as to what you find by doing so rather than relying on only what is presented to you.
Whatever, you're right I'm wrong. Two birds in the bush are worth more than one in the hand.
Old 7/25/06, 06:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Lokius
It's funny you mentioned Steeda, Saleen, and Roush, because all their brakes are made by Stoptech, which make all their brake kits based on custom specifications, so the calipers, rotors, piston size, etc. all vary between vehicles. For instance when they release there GT500 Big Brake Kit, it will be different than the Mustang Gt Big Brake Kit, because although the vehicles are similar in bolt patterns and other main components, much of the vehicles are actually different, and when it comes to brakes, something that can be quite costly, both financially and to those you love, it might be smart to get something designed for your vehicle.

Just my two cents, just so you know, I have a Stoptech Silver Big Brake Kit in my house, waiting to be installed
Can I get a pic of your brakes? I have a Satin Silver car and was thinking of getting a silver caliper
Old 7/25/06, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Still waiting on my wheels until I can install them
Attached Thumbnails Big Brakes-bb_3.jpg  
Old 7/25/06, 07:55 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
svopaul,
I have 18 inch American Racing Shelby Razors. Do you think the brakes will fit these wheels?

Earl
I have not tested those wheels but looking at them there is a possibility depending on how far out the spokes come...an 18" wheel will fit but the clearance issue lies in the clearance with the spokes or center of the wheel. It is 3" from the center of the caliper to the face of it...meaning that you need that much clearance or a little more from the center line of the rotor to the wheel for clearance.
Old 7/25/06, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow, those look nice. Do they come with rear calipers too, or use the stock ones?
Old 7/25/06, 09:03 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,350 Posts
The Only Difference on the Rears are Shelby Specific Pads.

kc
Old 7/25/06, 09:11 AM
V6 Member

hey kevin, have you tried these brakes on the shelby cs67 wheels yet?
and was there any concerns with the brake booster and all that?
im just glad someone is working on this,it seems like certain people dont appreciate others trying to save them the money and aggravation.i appreciate all your help
Old 7/25/06, 09:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06tungstenstang
hey kevin, have you tried these brakes on the shelby cs67 wheels yet?
and was there any concerns with the brake booster and all that?
im just glad someone is working on this,it seems like certain people dont appreciate others trying to save them the money and aggravation.i appreciate all your help
I second that. I'm waiting this one out a little while but these are the ones I want (GT500). I wonder how much the GT500 brake booster is, if that is in fact required/recommended.
Old 7/25/06, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Bro, I am wondering if they will fit behind my Foose wheels. Those are tight as Asian Poon-nany though!!!!

Is that your ride in the avatar? I am awaiting my Shelby bumper right now.
Old 7/25/06, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

No not mine, I am doing my Shelby Front Bumper Last I believe, I really want to do everything else last, and have forced induction before I put that shelby front on

Quick Reply: Big Brakes