Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brakes

Don't get no cheaper than this.....

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...07SHELBYBRAKES

Ordered mine
Old 7/19/06, 09:19 PM

I believe ABS (on a GT and probably V6) won't work with 4 piston Brembos. But I hope to be proved wrong. I'm looking forward to hear how they work!
Old 7/19/06, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Will those work on stock 17" 2005 GT rims?
Old 7/20/06, 08:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

WOW! That's CHEAP!!! ABS will work and you will need 18" rims. These are the same units that SVT is putting on the GT500. I bet we can find them even cheap. I've found the 00R kit in the low 700s. The only difference it seems is larger rotors.
Old 7/20/06, 11:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

FYI...Did a bit of research. GEFracing sells the 00 Cobra R kit for 995: http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...ode=2000COBRAR

The 00 R Kit DOESN'T include rear pads like the GT500 kit does. The rear pads fit the stock GT calipers, but are a more aggressive compound. Now here's the good news! Diversified sells the same 00R Kit for 100 dollars cheaper. Once more companies get their hands on the GT500 kits, I think we will see the price drop.
Old 7/20/06, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
WOW! That's CHEAP!!! ABS will work and you will need 18" rims. These are the same units that SVT is putting on the GT500. I bet we can find them even cheap. I've found the 00R kit in the low 700s. The only difference it seems is larger rotors.
I'm running a 14" disc on the back right now and stock on the front w/no problems. Even this way the brakeing has increased w/no attempt at lock up from the rear.
Old 7/20/06, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by redbullet
I'm running a 14" disc on the back right now and stock on the front w/no problems. Even this way the brakeing has increased w/no attempt at lock up from the rear.
A 14" rear brake? Whom makes a 14" brake for the rears? Steeda makes a 13" rear upgrade that uses the stock caliper. If you are running the stock fronts with 13" brakes, the bias is going to be WAY off.
Old 7/20/06, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

A 14" rear brake? Whom makes a 14" brake for the rears? Steeda makes a 13" rear upgrade that uses the stock caliper. If you are running the stock fronts with 13" brakes, the bias is going to be WAY off.
And yet I've had no problems. Baer makes a 14" rear kit that uses the stock caliper by replacing the anchor w/a new anchor that's offset for the 2 piece 14" rotor.
Old 7/20/06, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

And yet I've had no problems. Baer makes a 14" rear kit that uses the stock caliper by replacing the anchor w/a new anchor that's offset for the 2 piece 14" rotor.
Well maybe you haven't noticed it? It's basic brake 101, that increasing the rear brake size will shift the bias. Here is a good read: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
Old 7/20/06, 01:26 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,350 Posts
Don't get no cheaper than this.....

http://www.gefracing.com/Merchant2/m...07SHELBYBRAKES

Ordered mine
I am Still Verifiying Which Wheels will fit with these brakes. But I think you would Like my Pricing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=50372
Old 7/20/06, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Well maybe you haven't noticed it? It's basic brake 101, that increasing the rear brake size will shift the bias. Here is a good read: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
Is THAT why they make adjustable proportioning valves?

I've been doing this stuff for about 25 years now. I am well versed about brake bias and the effects when it is wrong. I also know about piston sizes, master cylinder bore sizes and pedal ratios.
Old 7/21/06, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Nice...

I mean:

More stuff to buy.
Old 7/21/06, 10:30 AM

I put the Wilwood Superlite 6 kit on my 05 and had zero problems with ABS or anything else. Having big brakes is awesome especially when you have a larger wheel / tire combo. I put a set of 20" TSW THruxtons on and when i did that, the brake performance went to sh*t. That is a **** good price for the Shelby brakes...
Old 7/22/06, 02:40 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
You guys better contact 05stangkc....his price blows GEF out of the water!

And you all better think about wheels because MOST wheels will not clear the Shelby brakes.....I've been testing a few sets and your pickins are slim but I am working with Kevin to see what we can find that works.
Old 7/22/06, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
You guys better contact 05stangkc....his price blows GEF out of the water!

And you all better think about wheels because MOST wheels will not clear the Shelby brakes.....I've been testing a few sets and your pickins are slim but I am working with Kevin to see what we can find that works.
Not to sound like an a$$ but right now GEF has the better price since the last HOTSHEET I recently recieved from Kevin there was no GT500 brake kit listed.

Once he comes out with the new HOTSHEET that may be a different story, but for now........ besides, he'll be getting some of my money next week.

I'm pretty confident that my Hallibrands will fit, and if not, I'll be buying some wheels from Kevin
Old 7/22/06, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's another thread w/some info

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30435
Old 7/23/06, 08:33 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Not to sound like an a$$ but right now GEF has the better price since the last HOTSHEET I recently recieved from Kevin there was no GT500 brake kit listed.

Once he comes out with the new HOTSHEET that may be a different story, but for now........ besides, he'll be getting some of my money next week.

I'm pretty confident that my Hallibrands will fit, and if not, I'll be buying some wheels from Kevin

Well it's not like I'm not speaking from experience since I have a set of brakes here from Kevin and I also received the email from GEF and there was a significant difference in price....but it's your money and it's not my place to tell you how to spend/waste it. I simply relayed info to save you guys some money....I can lead you to the water but it's up to you if you drink or not

As a matter of fact I'll tell you what....I'll sell you the set I have here for $850 shipped to your door(in the continental U.S.)
Old 7/23/06, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
Well it's not like I'm not speaking from experience since I have a set of brakes here from Kevin and I also received the email from GEF and there was a significant difference in price....but it's your money and it's not my place to tell you how to spend/waste it. I simply relayed info to save you guys some money....I can lead you to the water but it's up to you if you drink or not

As a matter of fact I'll tell you what....I'll sell you the set I have here for $850 shipped to your door(in the continental U.S.)
I can see where this is going, but I'll play along.

It's real nice that you have the inside line. Some of us aren't as privileged. My Hotsheet isn't but two weeks old.

If Kevin has the best price he should have included it, but he did not. Therefore I went with what I had.

As a matter of fact, Kevin's first post concerning this upgrade was the 18th of July in another thread. My first was on the 19th and Kevin responded on the 20th in this thread that he was still checking to see which wheels they would fit. That tells me he is not ready to sell what he has, or at the least, sell to someone he doesn't know. Then Kevin posted in another thread that he would sell the parts etc. By that time I had already ordered from GEF.

I'm not blaming Kevin or anyone else. Just stating that with the info I had at the time, and currently published, that GEF had the best price.
Old 7/23/06, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Be wary, these is not a kit designed for a Mustang GT, but rather the Shelby GT500. Perhaps GEF testfitted these brakes on a GT and drove around, but that's probably about it. The GT500 is so new, that I bet they havent had a chance to see what brake componenets are different between the vehicles besides the calipers, rotors, hubs, etc.
Old 7/23/06, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

YOU ARE CORRECT LOKIUS!!!

In looking into this mod further I found some more info.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30435

I guess there would be more needed than just the gefracing kit to make it all work properly. Post #9 gives good description of possible parts needed to complete the switch. But I still might consider it.

Sorry, I guess I was the second to post this link. But the info does make you think it is not such any easy 1-2-3 swap.

Quick Reply: Big Brakes