GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BBK Throttlebody.. can't get out of failsafe!

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/06, 02:55 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BBK Throttlebody.. can't get out of failsafe!

i'm helping a friend of mine install the BBK TB on his 2005 Mustang GT, and we're running into all kinds of problems

we followed BBK's instructions step by step, made sure the spring was rotated counter-clockwise, so when you open the throttle by hand, it closes when you let it go.

we checked all the obvious, tried with a new sensor.. to no avail.. the moment you crank it up, the car idles beautifully, but in failsafe mode

the DTCs i picked up are Throttle stuck closed and Throttle forced idle.

i'm sure many of you believe an aftermarket TB isn't even worth the money or the hassle, but that's besides the point
there has to be a way to get this working

any thoughts?
Old 10/25/06, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you put the old one back on to make sure there is not a short or a broken connector. Maybe it is a bad Throttlebody!
Old 10/25/06, 03:32 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

yup.. car is running fine as we speak with the stock TB..
Old 10/25/06, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I think there is something that you have to rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise....... try reversing it from how you have it now.
Old 10/25/06, 04:14 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

That's the plastic capped spring you're referring to..
it has to be rotated counterclockwise for the throttle to spring back shut if you open it.. i've double checked that one
Old 10/25/06, 05:13 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Send me your email and I'll get you over a trouble shooting guide. It has helped us with every TB problem.
Old 10/25/06, 05:18 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Troubleshooting Guide
If you are having issues with your BBK 1763 '05+ throttle body causing a FAILSAFE mode or CHECK ENGINE light, try the following procedure-

First be sure that the plastic capped spring is hooked into the gear and rotated approx 180° COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until it pops into locked position.

If that is verified and correct and you are still having issues then follow the directions for checking TPS voltage.

CHECKING TPS VOLTAGE
To check the TPS voltage you must have a DIGITAL voltmeter.

1. Re-assemble and install the stock throttle body.

2. LEAVE THE THROTTLE BODY MOTOR UNPLUGGED (the small connector on the driver side of the throttle body).

3. Ground the black wire of your meter and poke the probe of the red wire on the meter into the YELLOW wire of the TPS sensor which is the bottom wire on the plug located on the passenger side of the throttle body. You DO NOT need to break the wire to read voltage. The best way to probe the yellow wire is to poke the probe into the plastic harness plug (while it’s plugged in to the TPS). You will need to penetrate the blue insulator the goes around the end of the yellow wire (hidden inside the harness plug) to reach the bare metal end of the yellow wire. Touch the probe to the bare metal end of the yellow wire

4. Turn the ignition to the ON position but do not start the car.

5. Read the meter display. You should see a voltage reading between 1.19-1.31 volts. Write the voltage down.

6. Now re-install the BBK throttle body and repeat steps 2-5.

7. If the TPS voltage on the BBK throttle body varies from the stock TPS voltage then follow the next steps to adjust the BBK to stock settings. This is easily done with the throttle body bolted to the car.

ADJUSTING TPS VOLTAGE
1. Remove the motor housing from the throttle body and loosen the tiny Allen headed set screw that locks the brass plunger into place.

2. Hook the plastic capped spring back into the gear and mount the motor housing cover onto the throttle body with a few of the screws to hold it in place.

3. Rotate the plastic capped spring approx 180° COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until it pops into locked position.

4. Using a pair of pliers or Vise Grips while watching the meter, turn the brass plunger clockwise to increase voltage or counter clockwise to decrease voltage until the meter displays the same voltage reading you noted from the stock throttle body.

5. Once the correct voltage is achieved and verified, you may remove the motor housing cover and tighten the set screw back into place then re-assemble the BBK throttle body for driving operation.

6. Plug the throttle body motor in.

7. Turn the ignition key to the ON position, then to the OFF position 4 times to allow the car to check the throttle body for proper operation.
If the throttle body is correct then the CHECK ENGINE and FAILSAFE warnings should be gone when you turn the key on for the 4th time

If the throttle body is sticky or rough feeling in it’s opening and closing action with the motor off of the throttle body-

Remove the T.B. from the car.

Remove the motor housing and spring.

Swing the blades closed with your finger hard enough so the gear bounces off the plunger and back open a few times to make sure they are free moving. They should at least bounce all the way open and back closed and open again 1-1/2 times or more. If it stops abruptly then follow the instructions on centering the blades in the bores.

Slightly loosen the screws that hold the butterflies in place (just enough for them to slip around, but no more than that).

Hold the gear so it pushes the plunger all the way down and forces the blades closed in the bore.

Use the handle of a screwdriver and lightly tap the blades as if you were trying to force them closed even further (this basically centers them in the bores).

Now swing the blades once again to see if the action is now smooth.

Tighten the screws back up but don't over tighten them.

Reassemble the throttle body and install on the car, be sure to check the voltage again with your meter according to the TPS setting instructions
Old 10/25/06, 05:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by G.T

any thoughts?
Sell the BBK, and cut your losses.

I dyno'd one and got 1hp out of it. Not worth the money for a cosmetic mod, IMO.
Old 10/26/06, 06:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hatchman

what he said...... ^^
Old 10/26/06, 06:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

bump..
Old 10/16/07, 11:38 AM

wouldnt it be easier to just go ahead and get the voltage reading before ya uninstall the factory TB then ya dont have to go thru the uninstall , install uninstall reinstall process?????
Old 10/16/07, 11:41 AM

voltage

get your voltage reading before ya unistall the factory TB save a couple steps
Old 10/16/07, 12:08 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

that's a year old thread you're replying Grant
turned out the TB was faulty.. we got a replacement that worked right away
Old 10/17/07, 12:52 PM

What kind of HP gains did you get from the TB?
Old 10/17/07, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman

I dyno'd one and got 1hp out of it. Not worth the money for a cosmetic mod, IMO.
This is why we dont offer any aftermarket throttle body for 2005+ Mustang GT's.

People call us all the time on throttle bodies and are surprised we don't offer or recommend them. I'm sure even after we tell them that some people go out and buy them anyway. I hope this thread serves to educate more consumers on this. The stock throttle body flows plenty of air for stock and even supercharged applications.

Gus
Old 10/17/07, 01:52 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by underdog65
What kind of HP gains did you get from the TB?
none

it wasn't my car anyway.
it was my friend's naturally aspirated car.. he got a really good throttle response but that's about it.

now for me, i will be considering a throttle body upgrade once i cross 16PSI on my stang.. but that's a long term plan for now.
even then, i will probably go for a GT500 throttle body
Old 10/17/07, 05:01 PM

installed my BBK throttle body today , not a single problem runs great no codes nuthin was easy as pie an the sound WOW
Old 10/17/07, 08:48 PM
Former Vendor

I have had problems with every BBK throttle body we've ever sold except ONE. I just don't like them. If you must get a throttle body, go with the GT500 throttle body.

There's someone in this thread whose whole history of posting looks like a BBK commercial.
Old 10/17/07, 08:50 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
This is why we dont offer any aftermarket throttle body for 2005+ Mustang GT's.

People call us all the time on throttle bodies and are surprised we don't offer or recommend them. I'm sure even after we tell them that some people go out and buy them anyway. I hope this thread serves to educate more consumers on this. The stock throttle body flows plenty of air for stock and even supercharged applications.

Gus
+1

DING DING DING DING DING!

That's it!
Old 10/17/07, 11:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by G.T
i'm helping a friend of mine install the BBK TB on his 2005 Mustang GT, and we're running into all kinds of problems

we followed BBK's instructions step by step, made sure the spring was rotated counter-clockwise, so when you open the throttle by hand, it closes when you let it go.

we checked all the obvious, tried with a new sensor.. to no avail.. the moment you crank it up, the car idles beautifully, but in failsafe mode

the DTCs i picked up are Throttle stuck closed and Throttle forced idle.

i'm sure many of you believe an aftermarket TB isn't even worth the money or the hassle, but that's besides the point
there has to be a way to get this working

any thoughts?
My two cents is that the very best thing you could do is throw it in the trash can. Your friend should have read the forums first.

Quick Reply: BBK Throttlebody.. can't get out of failsafe!