GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: Are aftermarket throttle bodies worth it if the car is NA?
Yes
22.22%
No
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

BBK Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/07, 02:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK Throttle Body

Hey guys...completely stock 2006 vista blue GT here (not completely stock, but mostly visual mods and no CAI or tune).

I noticed this BBK Throttle Body:
http://www.brothersperformance.com/c...oducts_id/3489

Wondering if some of the more knowledgeable folks could chime in on whether the reported gains are realistic (15-20 HP) and what this mod could mean as far as engine error codes, warranty voids, rough idle, general concerns. Or if it really is a simple (and seemingly inexpensive) upgrade that will not harm anything else i'd love to know that as well.

Side note: Big upgrade weekend coming up for me next weekend. Springs, rotors, painting calipers, short throw shifter, exhaust, and a few styling mods so i'm excited. I'll post some pics afterwards if there is interest.
Old 8/12/07, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

search the forums first, i hate to burst your bubble but any aftermarket throttle body besides the one off the GT500 is just an expensive paper weight. 95% of the people that have used it have reported either moderate or serious problems with tuneing the TB or the engine just not accepting it, i say spend the $300+ on something better
Old 8/12/07, 02:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

you would get alot better performance with a JLT intake and tuner from Bamachips or Brenspeed
Old 8/12/07, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
you would get alot better performance with a JLT intake and tuner from Bamachips or Brenspeed
+1 i agree completely
Old 8/12/07, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Assume no tune or CAI until after warranty is up (Dec. 2008 for me)...what will this throttle body (or any other) do for me? Is there anything that i can do that is warranty-froof that will give me a performance gain?
Old 8/12/07, 07:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I cai and tune is pretty much warrenty proof.....

1) If you ahve a problem with the car, the dealer has to prove that it was caused by the cai and/or tuner.

2) If you're that worried about it, most cai installs are a 20 minute job; you could always remove it and reflash the original tune (2 minutes) before taking it to the dealer.

I'm telling you, a cai and tune on these cars is the biggest improvement you can make besides gears and a blower.
Old 8/12/07, 08:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonimac
Assume no tune or CAI until after warranty is up ...what will this throttle body (or any other) do for me?
Throttle body left on can VOID your warranty
A tune and CAI can be switched back to stock faster than a TB and no one will know.
Old 8/12/07, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by karman
Throttle body left on can VOID your warranty
A tune and CAI can be switched back to stock faster than a TB and no one will know.
I hope you're right...but i was under the impression that even when you flash back to stock and drive for more than 50 miles the dealership still knows you've flashed. I've read many posts that say that the assumption that the dealership will only see dead battery code is false. Can someone clarify?

I would definitely consider CAI/tune if i could be assured that the dealership could not tell if i flashed back to stock a replaced OEM intake. I've thought about getting a CAI that does not require a tune (like K&N or some other one) so that when i flash back to stock i don't have to swap out the intake.

But back to throttle body...if not BBK, are there other throttle bodies that will improve performance? I've read some posts about the GT500 one but that kit is $399. Thoughts?

Appreciate it...
Old 8/12/07, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

A 281 cubic inch motor will need approximately 450 cfm of airflow at W.O.T.
The stock throttle body is easily capable of flowing more than 450 cfm.
A larger throttle body is simply not required. Waste of money, period.
Old 8/12/07, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Plus the BBK throttle body has been phone to some quailty issues from what I have read.

The best basic performance mod for these cars is a CAI and tune! PERIOD
Old 8/13/07, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Assume no tune or CAI until after warranty is up (Dec. 2008 for me)...what will this throttle body (or any other) do for me? Is there anything that i can do that is warranty-froof that will give me a performance gain?
ANY Engine Mod will Void that parts Warranty.
You replace the Thorttle Body (TB) and you have TB issues, Warranty Void on TB. But not the whole car, just the part replaced. if you replace the TB and the engine blows, the Dealer MUST Prove that the TB caused the engine to blow and if they can't then they must replace it "Except the TB" but they will require you to provide the stock one for testing.

There are no Warranty Proof Performance Mods. anything you replace or change voided the warranty on the part. CAI and TUNE is your best bet period, because it's the easiest to put back to stock.

I hope you're right...but i was under the impression that even when you flash back to stock and drive for more than 50 miles the dealership still knows you've flashed. I've read many posts that say that the assumption that the dealership will only see dead battery code is false. Can someone clarify?

I would definitely consider CAI/tune if i could be assured that the dealership could not tell if i flashed back to stock a replaced OEM intake. I've thought about getting a CAI that does not require a tune (like K&N or some other one) so that when i flash back to stock i don't have to swap out the intake.

But back to throttle body...if not BBK, are there other throttle bodies that will improve performance? I've read some posts about the GT500 one but that kit is $399. Thoughts?

Appreciate it...
1) When you reflash the PCM it looks like the Battery was disconnected because all codes were erased. If you are having a specific Check engine light or error then you will have to drive the car a bit to get the problem to reacure so the dealer can resolve the issue. I went through this with them, my car was in the shop for about a month total and it turned out to be a CAM Phaser Gear problem, but they never knew are cared that I reflashed the PCM because the problem was happening when my car was stock. All the dealer cares about is that when they are testing or working on the car that it is stock. They told me that if I have Mods that it would cost extra for Diagnostic time because thay have to deveate from there testing routine and it cost them in man hours to work around mods.
thats why they don't like it. Warrenty work is a fixed price for them and mods cost them in man hours.

DO NOT BUY A THROTTLE BODY, I wasted 500 bucks on them.
I first bought the Granatelli bullitt one, and BBK NO PERFORMACE GAINS Whatsoever unless you are going FI but for NA nothing but problems.

Buy the JLT II CAI and Tuner Best Bang for the Buck, and if you need to take the car in for service, Put the stock box and reflash. Read the "Magnuson Moss ACT" The Dealer must prove that a Mod caused the problem, and it would cost more for them to persue that avenue than to just fix the car.
Old 8/13/07, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Look for a dealer that is a FRRP dealer and they won't care if you have a CAI and a tune. Get a Steeda CAI which has been developed along with Ford engineering as have many of Steeda's offerings.
Old 8/13/07, 06:47 AM
GT Member

Appreciate all the great advice...i think i understand the throttle body concerns now and definitely don't think i'll be getting one.

Re: Magnusson (sp?) act...i'm aware of it and i know it's supposed to protect me i just wonder if the dealership can hassle you enough where it's basically a huge headache to ever fight with them about it...thoughts?

If i do get a CAI do you guys have any opinions about brand? I know everyone loves bamachips/doug and that sounds like the way to go for the tune, but any preferences about CAI brand? I know there are numerous threads about it and i've read them but i'm wondering if the people who have answered this thread specifically have any preferences? (plastic vs. metal...i know there are some differences of opinions there) And what do you guys think about my idea of getting a CAI that does not require tune (but still get a tune) so that when i flash back i don't have to swap out the intake? Aren't the actual CAI's for the most part all the same, aka. it's the tune that makes the performance?

Thanks.
Old 8/13/07, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

The first thing you need to do is talk to your dealer - your servide rep - and find out what they think about after market parts. At least then you will know the what you are up against if anything. Some dealers sell S/C and will add aftermarket parts to your vehicle w/o any warranty problems. Don't waste your money getting a CAI that doesn't need a tune; you may be happy initially but you won't be for long.
Old 8/13/07, 09:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

JLT is the best bang for the buck because it is cheap, gets the same performance as the C&L street kit and close to the racer kit by C&L and Bamachips sells all three kits
Old 8/13/07, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Ran the JLT series 2 kit and tunes from Brenspeed, loved both of them.
Old 8/13/07, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Appreciate all the great advice...i think i understand the throttle body concerns now and definitely don't think i'll be getting one.

Re: Magnusson (sp?) act...i'm aware of it and i know it's supposed to protect me i just wonder if the dealership can hassle you enough where it's basically a huge headache to ever fight with them about it...thoughts?
All Dealers are different, like someone else said, talk to the service manager and find out how they feel about mods, treat it like you are interviewing them to see if there good enough to work on your baby.

If i do get a CAI do you guys have any opinions about brand? I know everyone loves bamachips/doug and that sounds like the way to go for the tune, but any preferences about CAI brand? I know there are numerous threads about it and i've read them but i'm wondering if the people who have answered this thread specifically have any preferences? (plastic vs. metal...i know there are some differences of opinions there) And what do you guys think about my idea of getting a CAI that does not require tune (but still get a tune) so that when i flash back i don't have to swap out the intake? Aren't the actual CAI's for the most part all the same, aka. it's the tune that makes the performance?

Thanks.
The only two CAI that I would even consider... C&L and JLT II Most Power Gains.. You could keep it safe and find a Dealer that is a Motorsports (FRPP) Dealer and let them install the CAI and Tune then you are covered 100% warranty wise...

As far as Tunes...
The Best Mailorder Tuners Are Brenspeed, Evolution Performance, BamaChips and VMP Tuning. you will not go wrong with any of them.
each have little differences with there tunes, so you need to choose one you are comfortable with support wise. I have a tune from each of them and there all good, but so far the best support has been from VMP Performance. he datalogs his tunes.

Support on scale 1-10
Brenspeed (Brent)* - 8
Evolution (Fred)* - 4
BamaChips (Doug)* - 5
VMP Tuning (Justin)* - 9

Quality of Tune 1-10
Brendspeed (Automatic)* - 8
__________(Manual ) - 9
Evolution (Automatic)* - 7
__________ (Manual ) - 9
BamaChips (Automatic)* - 8
__________ (Manual ) - 9
VMP Tuning (Automatic)* - 9
__________ (Manual ) - 9

Value $ scale 1-10
Brendspeed (N/A 87-93)* - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
Evolution (N/A 87-93)* - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
BamaChips (N/A 87-93)* - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
VMP Tuning (N/A 87-93)* - 9 ($50.00 per tune)

Note* This Scale is from my own personal Experience not an accurate tally.

The Best Tune you could ever get is a Dyno Tune. (Avg $175.00-$300.00)
Old 8/13/07, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2K05GT

Support on scale 1-10
Brenspeed (Brent) - 8
Evolution (Fred) - 4
BamaChips (Doug) - 5
VMP Tuning (Justin) - 9

Quality of Tune 1-10
Brendspeed (Automatic) - 8
__________(Manual ) - 9
Evolution (Automatic) - 7
__________ (Manual ) - 9
BamaChips (Automatic) - 8
__________ (Manual ) - 9
VMP Tuning (Automatic) - 9
__________ (Manual ) - 9

Value $ scale 1-10
Brendspeed (N/A 87-93) - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
Evolution (N/A 87-93) - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
BamaChips (N/A 87-93) - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
VMP Tuning (N/A 87-93) - 9 ($50.00 per tune)

Edit ****This Scale is from my own personal Experience not an accurate tally.****
You have 2 2005+ mustangs...one auto and one manual??
Old 8/13/07, 10:51 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
You have 2 2005+ mustangs...one auto and one manual??
no I only have the Auto. A friend of mine has a manual
but has only used Brenspeed and Bama. sorry I should
have clarified that. My bad ( But I wish, that would be cool)

I do Have a 2005 Mustang GT - Auto
2003 Mustang - Manual
Old 8/13/07, 11:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2K05GT
All Dealers are different, like someone else said, talk to the service manager and find out how they feel about mods, treat it like you are interviewing them to see if there good enough to work on your baby.

The only two CAI that I would even consider... C&L and JLT II Most Power Gains.. You could keep it safe and find a Dealer that is a Motorsports (FRPP) Dealer and let them install the CAI and Tune then you are covered 100% warranty wise...

As far as Tunes...
The Best Mailorder Tuners Are Brenspeed, Evolution Performance, BamaChips and VMP Tuning. you will not go wrong with any of them.
each have little differences with there tunes, so you need to choose one you are comfortable with support wise. I have a tune from each of them and there all good, but so far the best support has been from VMP Performance. he datalogs his tunes.

Support on scale 1-10
Brenspeed (Brent)* - 8
Evolution (Fred)* - 4
BamaChips (Doug)* - 5
VMP Tuning (Justin)* - 9

Quality of Tune 1-10
Brendspeed (Automatic)* - 8
__________(Manual ) - 9
Evolution (Automatic)* - 7
__________ (Manual ) - 9
BamaChips (Automatic)* - 8
__________ (Manual ) - 9
VMP Tuning (Automatic)* - 9
__________ (Manual ) - 9

Value $ scale 1-10
Brendspeed (N/A 87-93)* - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
Evolution (N/A 87-93)* - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
BamaChips (N/A 87-93)* - 8 ($75.00 per Tune)
VMP Tuning (N/A 87-93)* - 9 ($50.00 per tune)

Note* This Scale is from my own personal Experience not an accurate tally.

The Best Tune you could ever get is a Dyno Tune. (Avg $175.00-$300.00)
You bring up a very interesting point..." The Best Tune you could ever get is a Dyno Tune. (Avg $175.00-$300.00)"...i have a gearhead friend who says don't get a mail tune. He claims that a local tune for a reputable shop will be better. I don't know much about it but i know people rave about bama/brenspeed so i argued with him about that. Thoughts on local (reputable) dyno tune vs. mail bamachips/brenspeed?

Also, i would LOVE to go with FRPP CAI and Tune (was told by local FRPP dealership it will not void warranty and the website clearly says that too), but i wonder how the tune will compare to one done locally or one done by bama/brenspeed. Thoughts on FRPP tune and CAI vs. others?

Quick Reply: BBK Throttle Body