GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bassani Drone

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/06, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my Bassani axle-backs. I love them and I don't think I have heard anything this deep for a while. I love 'em. Although, I now know what drone is. :-/ . It is just within tolerance, but I'm worried if I ever have passengers that it will annoy them. Is there anything to quiet that JUST a tad? I was reading bout Dynamat, but that's a bit expensive for something that I could actually live with.
Old 4/20/06, 08:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just don't drive in that range [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

No money needs to be spent [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

If your going slow, rather than putting the pedal down, downshift and bring it above that range, then upshift.
Old 4/20/06, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

YEah that's what I've been doing. It's not bad at all though, the drone.
Old 4/20/06, 08:46 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the bassani axlebacks as well

If you want to limit the drone, one way of doing it is using cruise control, at least I have found.

I think the drone is very manageable with this setup. No one I have driven has complained about it.
Old 4/20/06, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ April 20, 2006, 10:49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have the bassani axlebacks as well

If you want to limit the drone, one way of doing it is using cruise control, at least I have found.

I think the drone is very manageable with this setup. No one I have driven has complained about it.
[/b][/quote]

:-) Sorry, I'm not complaing. I love them. And I do agree it's very managable. This is just my first experience with drone. Never had aftermarket before. But I'd never go with anytihng but Bassani cuz I'm in love with them....so deep....mmmmm [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 10:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

You just have to learn to drive around it. Dynamat does NOT help drone. I dynamated my entire trunk and on the back of the the door speakers. Although it helped with road noise and the sound system is much better, the drone was still there.
I added the bassani x-pipe and that helped the drone a little but it did not eliminate it.
Old 4/21/06, 12:17 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ April 20, 2006, 10:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
:-) Sorry, I'm not complaing. I love them. And I do agree it's very managable. This is just my first experience with drone. Never had aftermarket before. But I'd never go with anytihng but Bassani cuz I'm in love with them....so deep....mmmmm [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Glad you love them. I love mine. You can shift around the drone, although I kind of like it sometimes. One thing I noticed is when I took the cats off and put the Pro Chamber on, the drone was decreased tremendously for some reason. Anybody know why??
Old 4/21/06, 12:31 PM

Two scoops get 4.10 gears ... you will be out of that low RPM (that creates the drone) will quick [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Heck you can order the gears and get them installed for less than 450 bucks ... but, then again i keep forgetting you don't have the x-cal 2 yet (to correct your speedo) ... hmm ... i guess just try alternatives to dynamat ... there might be other solutions out there that won't allow as much sound to come through the trunk.
Old 4/21/06, 01:35 PM
V6 Member

Dont mean to hijack your thread but .....

I'm planning to get the Bassani X-Pipe w/ cats, and Bassani Axle-backs in future and I've got 2 Questions.

1. At what RPMs do you hear the drone?
2. How would this affect an Auto?

Shifting out of the drone zone is not possible since I have the auto. Hence I'm concerend if I should go this route. Please let me know.

PS - I know I'm asking for too muc but, if anyone has some audio clips of the drone, it would help.
Old 4/21/06, 01:50 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Screamer @ April 21, 2006, 2:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I'm planning to get the Bassani X-Pipe w/ cats, and Bassani Axle-backs in future and I've got 2 Questions.

Shifting out of the drone zone is not possible since I have the auto. Hence I'm concerend if I should go this route. Please let me know.

PS - I know I'm asking for too muc but, if anyone has some audio clips of the drone, it would help.
[/b][/quote]

As for the drone you will hear it most likely between 1500 and 2000 RPM ... with the 3:23s or 3:55s thats in the 60 - 70 range.

Secondly, I don't have an audio clip, but i have something you could compare it to. Find a song with deep bass ... turn the bass up ... and put the treble all the way down ... now turn up the music ... you hear how it resonates and echos inside of your car ... yeah that's dang near close to a drone. Or another thought ... imagine your gf/wife whining about something else you could care less about ... just as annoying [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]. Or end of all else ... put in some Boston - More than a feeling ... turn it up ... you will not even notice the drone. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 4/21/06, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

If my passengers dont like the drone, they can drive themselves around. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Patience?!? @ April 21, 2006, 2:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Two scoops get 4.10 gears ... you will be out of that low RPM (that creates the drone) will quick [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] Heck you can order the gears and get them installed for less than 450 bucks ... but, then again i keep forgetting you don't have the x-cal 2 yet (to correct your speedo) ... hmm ... i guess just try alternatives to dynamat ... there might be other solutions out there that won't allow as much sound to come through the trunk.
[/b][/quote]

With 4.10 gears, you fly through the RPM ranges alot quicker right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kybosh27 @ April 21, 2006, 2:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Glad you love them. I love mine. You can shift around the drone, although I kind of like it sometimes. One thing I noticed is when I took the cats off and put the Pro Chamber on, the drone was decreased tremendously for some reason. Anybody know why??
[/b][/quote]

Oh yes I LOOOOOOVE them. Sounds so much more muscular now.
Old 4/22/06, 10:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

would resonators help? I have a X pipe.GT take off set on my car and I get a slight drone at 2500 as well. Nothing too bad, but I know its there. It also seems to be more noticeable in colder weather.
Old 4/23/06, 02:03 PM

Two scoops ... yeah you will fly through the RPMs quicker with the 4.10s .. the key thing is most driving speeds you will not be in that rpm that makes the drone ... lets say you are driving 60 in 5th gear .. you will be at 2000 RPM ... which in the 3.55s you are at 1800 rpm, which is right were my drone was ... i wanted to bang my head while driving through rush hour on my way home from work. Other ones like 45 you will be above 2000 (not too much) in 4th gear (3.55s you could be in 3rd, but it was 2600 rpm and 4th gear was 1900 rpm, which equaled drone for me). The other perk about the gears is it really doesn't matter which gear you are in ... you have enough low end power to push you ... heck 5th gear is actually usuable to make a decent pass on people. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 4/24/06, 06:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Any negatives with those gears?
Old 4/24/06, 07:48 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ April 24, 2006, 7:06 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Any negatives with those gears?
[/b][/quote]

Well the warranty on the drivetrain will be gone ... but, you can also hope that any mechanic that works on it may not notice the difference while driving in the service area. Secondly, it will reduce your gas mileage anywhere from .5 to 1 mile per gallon. Lastly, you lose top speed ... a bit, but if i remember right two scoops your car isn't really going to be up in the 130s range that often anyways ... so i wouldn't worry about it too much. The only other thing is that 1st gear is shorter ... but, not that big of a deal in my opinion. Personally, in my opinion ... i was mostly afraid of whining ... and the gas mileage. I have absolutely no whining, and the gas on mine has only gone down .5 mile per gallon. The best thing i love overall is like i said before, in that you can be in any gear and have enough torque to get you movin. Heck friday afternoon i showed my friend that you can start off in 3rd gear (it's not hard) ... and drive around town in third gear most of the time ... never need to down shift ... (i wouldn't suggest doing this of course [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] ). But, he basically said ... "you created yourself an automatic" ... which yeah i guess you could say that in a way.
Old 4/25/06, 10:56 AM

I've got an 05 GT with the Basanni Axle Backs and Bassani X-Pipe with high flow cats. I had a really loud drone between 1500 and 2000 that I know my wife wouldn't like. I completely dynamated the doors and solved the problem. I used dynamat extreme, two full sheets per door. I coated the entire surface on the interior, including the cross bar that Ford installed for side impacts. I think that bar was really resonating quite a lot. I also coated all the area directly behind the door panel as well as the rear of the door panel. I now have no drone. Previously I had coated the trunk, trunk lid, roof, underneath the rear seat, and above the rear wheel wells. Even after all of this I still had the drone. I guess it was the doors that were amplifying the drone. The stereo sounds so much better, and the doors have that BMW "thunk" when you close them. If you do this use care re-installing the door panel as it is very tight due to the thickness of the dynamat. It was definately worth it and when my wife gets the car I don't have to worry about her complaining about the drone!
Old 4/25/06, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good thing my fiance doesn't drive my car or ride with me to work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/30/06, 11:33 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Screamer @ April 21, 2006, 3:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I also have an auto, but with borlas and there is a lot of drone and i like it, but when others are in the car they don't seem to so i just hit the o/d button on the shifter to get out of the drone spot. Also is is only when im going about 55-60 on the hwy which i never do. I find the best way to get rid of drone to just to go faster, at 80-100mph there is no drone just sweet exhaust music.

So basically hit the go peddle harder, or hit the o/d button [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 4/30/06, 11:54 AM

Changing to 4.10s get rid of drone, too. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Bassani Drone