GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bamachips Tune Track Test---> Very Disheartened.

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/07, 10:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bamachips Tune Track Test---> Very Disheartened.

First off, let me say that I am NOT bashing Bamachips. Excellent customer service, Doug is a great guy work with so far, it was the testimony of many here that steered me his way. After seeing the gains many of you all had made with Doug, and taking into account what a standard SCT or Diablo Sport tune can offer, I was geeked.

Two weeks ago I went to the track with my 100% bone stock 2007 Mustang GT. Dirty paper filter and, 3,000 mile old Motorcraft 5w20 oil. 3.31 gears, 5-speed manual, 18" polished stock Bullitt rims.

Temperature: High 50's
Humidty: Very low, 30%
1/2 tank of 93 octane
Shift point- 6300rpm

Best Time:

60ft: 2.131
330ft: 5.890
1/8th: 8.922 @ 81.20mph
1000: 11.521
1/4: 13.692@ 104.34mph

A week later I ordered a JLTII Cold Air Kit, and Bamachip's 87 Performance, 93 Torque, and 93 Performance Octane Tune with SCT X-Cal 2 tuner.

When I installed the performance tune with the kit last weekend, it felt great. Felt like it was running stronger than before. Over that last few days it has been a bit warmer and humid, and has felt a little less heroic. I figured that might be to me just getting used to it.

Today is was much cooler, 70 degrees for a high. Went to the track tonight. By the time I got there it was in the mid 60's, humidity around 40%. Sun was going down, and it was getting cooler. By the time it was dark out, it felt as if it had cooled down a bunch. This time I had about 1/4 tank of gas, mabe a little bit less. Figured less weight.

Here are the results of the best rune with each tune, allowing 20-30 minutes cool down between runs. I would run two runs back to back, then let it sit for 20-30 minutes. All shifts were made at around 6300rpm:

87 Octane Performance Tune:

60ft: 2.098
330ft. 5.928
1/8th: 8.973 @ 80.97mph
1000: 11.585
1/4: 13.765 @ 103.92mph

Car ran SLOWER than it did without the kit and tune.

93 Octane Torque Tune:

60ft: 2.114
330: 5.841
1/8: 8.824 @ 82.72mph
1000: 11.388
1/4: 13.539 @ 105.18

An improvement of .16 and .84mph over stock. How much of that is a credit to the improved 60ft time, it's anyones guess.

93 Octane Performance Tune:

60ft: 2.077 (got a good launch, hooked nicely)
330: 5.839
1/8: 8.848 @ 82.07mph
1000: 11.430
1/4: 13.593 @ 104.67mph

An improvement of .10 and .34mph over stock. All of the gain should be attributed to the better 60ft time.

Extrapolating this data from my past runs in factory stock form, I have added about 5hp.

After seeing what improvements others have gained with a tune and a cold air kit, I would call my results atypical at best.

Anyone have any ideas? Have you experienced similar "results" from a cold air kit and tuner? Is there anything I could be doing during the loading process that would be affecting it? The car runs fine, idles fine, no pinging, etc. It just feels...well, not that fast now for some reason. On one run tonight, it just felt like it just fell on it's face when I hit 3rd gear.

I plan to e-mail and/or call Doug on Tuesday to see if there's any suggestions he has or if he can e-mail some tunes or something. Looking at my old time slip to this one, it just dosen't make sense.
Old 5/25/07, 11:08 PM

Doug is a stand up guy and I know he will make it right, I can’t even begin to tell you how much time he spent on the V6 X-Charger tunes and as he makes them even better he sends them out at no charge.

He is very devoted to our cars but I heard he is out and about traveling w/the Dyno so be patient he will get back with you.
Old 5/26/07, 03:16 AM
Bullitt Member

in oklahoma i think....

I love his tunes and I am sure you will get everything worked out.
Old 5/26/07, 05:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Well first of all I think his best tune is the 93 octane race tune. So I would suggest trying that one. The torque and performance I like but not like the race tune. Well this car is way more responsive than stock with tune and cai, It shifts crazy and can break the tires through 3rd gear and mine is an automatic. There is no way my car is slower than stock. so I would say you got something going on if your slower than stock. Either something with the tune or your foot, or the car good luck.
Old 5/26/07, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by howarmat
in oklahoma i think....

I love his tunes and I am sure you will get everything worked out.
Give Doug a call on Tuesday, He's not leaving to go on his trip till late Wed evening or early Thursday. In fact he's going to be doing my Dyno tune on Wed evening. He'll take care of you! He is a very stand up-guy...
Old 5/26/07, 07:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely a great run with the 3.31's stock
Old 5/26/07, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know how you feel. I posted in the timeslip thread but, ran mine for the first time last night.15.16@99.0
Old 5/26/07, 07:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm as perplexed as you . It doesn't make sense... I'm sure that there is a simple resolution that will be worked out amongst you and Doug.
Old 5/26/07, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is a classic example of a canned tune result. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that every car is different. What's good for most may not be good for you. We are now in the early stages of electronic tuning for the S197 and the ability to electronically tune our cars ourselves is basically non-existant. The only exception that I know of is the Advantage III (Pro Racer) software from SCT. But let me ask, how many here have purchased this software? I'm willing to bet it's less than five percent. I'm one within this minority. So, ruling out this exception, we all become dependant on canned tunes.

(History has a tendency of repeating itself. >>>)
I'm a third gen Camaro lover. Not only did I marry into a GM family back in 1984, I've owned these cars since GM began production in 1982. I have owned a dozen or so since, new and used. I currently own two. In the mid-80's, tuning these cars was solely accomplished by canned tunes. Only a handful of companies were involved and we had no choice but to purchase these. Sound familiar to today's S197??? Over the years, owners started to learn more about how to tune themselves. Today, there are numerous software packages, some of which are open sourced, that allow the end user to tune their own cars. Personally, I use Tuner Cat, Tuner Pro and Promgrammer to tune my own twin turbo IROC-Z. And the *.bin files (called tune files here) are also free.

Fast forward 20 or so years. We are in the same boat today with the S197. As I read on this forum about tuning, I'm reliving history. I feel very strongly that everyone should learn to tune their own cars for maximum performance simply because, as I stated earlier, every car is different and not always respond the same as their friend's S197.

Slowly but surely as hackers start learning about how to create and modify tune files, open sourced software (and hardware) will emerge which allow the end user to tune their own cars. Off on a tangent, approximately seven years ago, there were ZERO wide-band air/fuel ratio gauges. I discovered a website where guys were trying to design / assemble one. Based on the info I read, my good third gen friend and I built a couple and installed them in our cars (see pic of display & box). Since then, practically every gauge company has developed a WB O2 gauge.

I believe that everyone should learn to tune themselves. Not only does it exercise brain cells but it's in the best interest to learn as much about their cars as possible. This is why when I installed my Whipple, I did not use the included canned tune from Ford. Instead, I bought the software and a base tune that I requested in *.mtf format which is modifiable with the software. I do NOT have any experience with Ford tuning but I have a TON of experience tuning my IROC-Z. Based on my general knowledge and a willing to learn something new, I am slowly learning how to tune Ford products. It's all about asking the right people the right questions.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I feel very strongly about this subject.

I know how you feel. I posted in the timeslip thread but, ran mine for the first time last night.15.16@99.0

Awake,

SIR has traditionally been a slow track. Also, I'd suggest you factor into your E/T and mph the NHRA altitude correction -- this allows us to compare, apples to apples, times with others not at altitude. For SIR at 3,070 feet, the correction factors are:

E/T * 0.9727 = Corrected E/T
mph * 1.0262 = Corrected mph

For supercharged / turbocharged vehicles:

E/T * 0.9863 = Corrected E/T
mph * 1.0131 = Corrected mph

Don't be discouraged. Everyone who runs at SIR the first time has expectations based on what others at lower altitudes run. I am no exception. When I ran my (then) stock 305 IROC-Z, factory rated at 190 hp, for the first time at SIR in 1998, I ran a 15.91 @ 82 mph!! Since then, my best run with a D1SC (ProCharger) at 14-psig, is 12.004 @ 117.62 mph (still a 305). I have yet to run it with my current setup -- twin turbos / progressive methanol and a completely built 305.
Attached Thumbnails Bamachips Tune Track Test---> Very Disheartened.-instrument-cluster-wb-03.jpg   Bamachips Tune Track Test---> Very Disheartened.-wb-box.jpg  
Old 5/26/07, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

As far as you guys with a tune from Doug, I'm sure he can tweak your tune file. I've heard only good things about him and his willingness to help. Please keep in mind that it will take several iterations before success is achieved, especially when the tuner has no access to your vehicle.

Willie
Old 5/26/07, 09:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Custom tune is the best way, I agree. Also, Willie, I feel the same way about learning to tune. I did this with my '95 when I installed a Kenne Bell on it. Great experience! Anyway, being that the '05 and up Mustangs are pretty consistent and I was only going with a CAI, I decided to try Doug for my tunes and have been happy. I wouldn't trust a non-dyno tune with a supercharger, but felt I wasn't going too radical. I have been happy with the results, but I haven't taken it to the track this year yet either. I will finally hit the dyno sometime this year as I feel it is a good idea for anyone to do to make sure everything is in check.

I am not sure that Doug can do anything when someone says, "My car is slower." If you get on a dyno and get some A/F numbers and maybe datalog, I'll bet Doug can take care of it pretty quickly. Too many variables on a track and you are not getting all the data a tuner needs to make adjustments.

Good luck on solving your problem and be sure to post the good news!
Old 5/26/07, 10:22 AM

Something isn't right here. Doug will work with you, just have a little patience and give him a call, He does an outstanding job with these cars and knows his stuff.

The numbers that pop out at me here is you stock run. That seems very fast to me especially with a 60 foot that is on the high side of 2.000 If you posted those other runs with a higher stock run it would seem about the same as what we seen in our car. We never broke 14.0 with our stock car but when we put the CAI and tune in we gained 4/10's and got into that 13.4-13.6 range at the track.

If it was correct you would feel like your driving an entirely different car going from stock to a CAI with Doug's tune. It would feel that way regardless of the temperature or humidity outside. I agree that if you could get a dyno run and get Doug more info he could make it right in a hurry. Don't get discouraged. You bought your tune from the best Mustang tuner there is.
Old 5/26/07, 11:43 AM

Raise the shift RPM another 200 to shift at 6500 and watch your time fall by another 10th or two. You are shifting before your peak power band. I don't have Dougs tunes I have Brenspeed but I think there is more in her.
Old 5/26/07, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

When I got my tune from Doug it was just ok, I took it to my local dyno they tweaked it and I was much happier. They said Dougs was one of the better canned tunes they had seen. There is no substitute for putting your ar on the dyno for a custom tune.
Old 5/26/07, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Raise the shift RPM another 200 to shift at 6500 and watch your time fall by another 10th or two. You are shifting before your peak power band. I don't have Dougs tunes I have Brenspeed but I think there is more in her.
That's something to consider....I will try that next time I go out there. Might go Monday again, they have a 3-day Drag Racing EXTRAVAGANZA going on at the track I usually run at.

I'm judging my performance off of having run in similar conditions with the stock stuff in place. I'm not looking for 12's, I just thought it would mph a bit more than it is, like high 106s. The thing that really has me conceared was the 87 Octane tune was slower than stock, and that was with a better 60ft time too. It seems almost as if all of my gains are soley from getting a better launch, and maybe the cold air kit.
Old 5/26/07, 01:46 PM

Let us know how it works out! Your 60' is good assuming your running on stock rubber. You might make sure your not lifting off the gas too soon at the end of the track. I know here in Tulsa the end of the track is deceptive. There is another 50' or so after you think it's the end (after the lights) and if you lift early your MPH suffers. Air density and altitude play a hand in the MPH and ET as well. Even though its cool air dosen't necessarily mean the conditions are optimal. I feel your pain though, I ran 13.5 in stock trim @ 103 and after CAI, Tunes, Gears, Off road H, UDP's, I only managed a 13.4 @ 104 but I spun hard in 1st and 2nd. I know the car can run a 12 second time with traction. Good luck!