GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bamachips Torq Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/07, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bamachips Torq Tunes

Hello-

I have been researching the different tuners and cold air kits available for some time now. Still waffling between Bamachips and Brenspeed. Here are my questions.

**The Torq Tune:

Has anyone dynoed this against the basic 93 octance performance tune? Just wondering what makes it feel so meaty down low. Is it just manipulation of the electronic throttle? In essence, opening the throttle father and faster than your foot is actually calling for, or is it changing the variable cam timing, etc. Was just wondering as that seems to be a big selling point for Bamachips, is the torq tune. I also have a manual transmission, NOT an automatic. Everything else I have read shows the 93 performance tunes between Bama and Bren to be nearly identical, with the Torq tune usually tipping the scales to Bamas favor; even more so with automatics.

**Cold Air Kits other than JLT and C&L:

Is Doug able to sell the Steeda kit? I see he does tunes for it, but does not offer it on his website. For some reason, I really like the Steeda kit. I think the heat shield on it is money, and the new elbow, if Steeda's claims are to be believed helps a bit more than using the stock intake tract. I think the 90mm MAF opening is plenty big for a stock car. Was leaning twoards the C&L Racer, but the 95mm opening seems like overkill. The street kit seems okay, but I'm not going to tap it for nitrous, and I can't justify spending THAT much money on a piece of metal that's just going to get hotter than plastic.

I saw on C&L's website that both are within 1-2hp of eachother, the street being 1-2 higher in the mid range, and the racer 1-2 stronger up top. Personally I think the racer is better, because during driving (not dynoing with the hood open and a fan blowing on it), the plastic should stay a little bit cooler and negate any advantage of the street kit. Am I wrong in this mode of thinking?

JLTII seems like a good compromise. It's plain, not the prettiest thing in the world, I am skeptical of that heat shield, but it works, and it's a lot less expensive. Besides, I don't go driving around with my hood open. I'd only really see the cold air kit during oil changes and washer fluid refills.

Thanks again for the help! I'm waffling more than an Eggo.
Old 5/15/07, 04:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your ideas about the plastic being cooler than the metal are incorrect. The metal piece may *feel* hotter, but it probably is the same actual temperature as the plastic. The plastic piece would probably provide a cooler air charge due to the insulating effect of plastic vs. metal. The metal piece would transfer more heat to the air vs. the plastic piece.
Old 5/15/07, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Just call him and all your questions he will be happy to answer them.
Old 5/15/07, 04:37 PM
Cobra Member

I may not be able to answer your questions completely. I have an auto, never been dynoed. I use Dougs 91 torque tune and an AEM intake. I have swapped back and forth from the performance and torque and decided I liked the torque better. The performance tune was easier to get used to the throttle response improvement, so maybe the torque tune is a bit touchier. I don't know that anyone tunes using new VVT perameters. I would suggest you email Doug himself regarding that. Be patient he's a busy guy but he is very helpful and his customer service is second to none in my book. But there is more to his tunes that just throttle improvement. Put it this way, I get a second and third gear chirp out of my auto, thats more than just throttle response.

He says he runs his own torque tune on his ride, having the option to run any tune he wishes and choosing that says alot.

Another differance I "felt", with no way to prove it, the torque tune feels more agressive, more seat of the pants excitement with each shift. Where the performance feels like it pours the power on more evenly as you accelerate, less "pin you to the back of your seat each gear shift" if you will. But still feels good.

Good luck on your choice, I think you will be happy with either tuner but since I'm so happy with my Bama tunes thats who I support and refer anyone who asks.
Old 5/15/07, 04:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The 93 torque tune is nice, but the 93 race tune is nasty The best of both worlds: lower-end torque without compromising high-end pull.
Old 5/15/07, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Torque tune is a entirely different program then the Performance and Race. It is a great deal more then throttle ajustments. I actually use the same throttle adjustments on both the Performance and the Torque tune. Another thing about the torque tune is I can make it for any year model vehicle, even the Pre-Drivebywire cars so that should also tell you that it isn't throttle table adjustment.

The Torque and Performance programs differ in the range they are aimed at for making power. The Torque is more so a daily driver program that focuses in on the 1500-3500 rpm's band. In order to do so well in that range though it does give up a few HP up top and this is why I break it apart from my Performance adjustments. The Performance program is aimed at more of a 3000rpm and up rpm band focusing in more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. This is a great track tune but also works well daily driven. Any of my programs are safe to use for daily driving unless you request a race only tune.

The race tune is a throttle adjustment and it is noted like this on my site. I dont go into detail about exactly what I do for any of my tunes but I guaruntee you I go above and beyond that of any base file from SCT or Diablosport.

Feel free to contact me at BamaChips@gmail.com or 205-302-0231.

thanks, Doug
Old 5/15/07, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

The race tune is by far my favorite so far from Doug. I have switched around from Torque and Race and the Race seems like it starts pulling and just does not stop until redline. It is very fun for backroads. Doug is the Race tune itself still considered safe for daily driving. Is it different from an all out Race tune?
Old 5/15/07, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
The race tune is by far my favorite so far from Doug. I have switched around from Torque and Race and the Race seems like it starts pulling and just does not stop until redline. It is very fun for backroads. Doug is the Race tune itself still considered safe for daily driving. Is it different from an all out Race tune?

+1 The Race tune is awesome...
Old 5/15/07, 08:05 PM
GT Member

+1 on the race tune. I went up to Jasper this past weekend and Doug Dyno'ed tuned my car and set me up with a race tune. Very pleased with it. Cant go wrong with getting tunes from Doug.
Old 5/15/07, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

My race tune was not tuned for my car on the dyno it was just Dougs race tune... I honestly can say i never thought that 25 to 30 hp in general could feel so awesome! Best purchase I have ever made! WTG Dough You rock!
Old 5/15/07, 09:40 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
I use nothing but Doug's 93 race tune, for both daily and spirited driving...IMHO, it's very safe under any driving condition, with the exception of rainy or bad weather conditions, of course.. But then again, my Stang never gets driven under those conditions, to begin with..
Old 5/15/07, 09:57 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by AWESOMO 4000
Hello-

I have been researching the different tuners and cold air kits available for some time now. Still waffling between Bamachips and Brenspeed. Here are my questions.

**The Torq Tune:

Has anyone dynoed this against the basic 93 octance performance tune? Just wondering what makes it feel so meaty down low. Is it just manipulation of the electronic throttle? In essence, opening the throttle father and faster than your foot is actually calling for, or is it changing the variable cam timing, etc. Was just wondering as that seems to be a big selling point for Bamachips, is the torq tune. I also have a manual transmission, NOT an automatic. Everything else I have read shows the 93 performance tunes between Bama and Bren to be nearly identical, with the Torq tune usually tipping the scales to Bamas favor; even more so with automatics.

**Cold Air Kits other than JLT and C&L:

Is Doug able to sell the Steeda kit? I see he does tunes for it, but does not offer it on his website. For some reason, I really like the Steeda kit. I think the heat shield on it is money, and the new elbow, if Steeda's claims are to be believed helps a bit more than using the stock intake tract. I think the 90mm MAF opening is plenty big for a stock car. Was leaning twoards the C&L Racer, but the 95mm opening seems like overkill. The street kit seems okay, but I'm not going to tap it for nitrous, and I can't justify spending THAT much money on a piece of metal that's just going to get hotter than plastic.

I saw on C&L's website that both are within 1-2hp of eachother, the street being 1-2 higher in the mid range, and the racer 1-2 stronger up top. Personally I think the racer is better, because during driving (not dynoing with the hood open and a fan blowing on it), the plastic should stay a little bit cooler and negate any advantage of the street kit. Am I wrong in this mode of thinking?

JLTII seems like a good compromise. It's plain, not the prettiest thing in the world, I am skeptical of that heat shield, but it works, and it's a lot less expensive. Besides, I don't go driving around with my hood open. I'd only really see the cold air kit during oil changes and washer fluid refills.

Thanks again for the help! I'm waffling more than an Eggo.
If you really like the Steeda CAI ? you could always purchase the Steeda CAI direct from Steeda, just as I did and then purchase your X-CAL II and tunes from Doug separately...In fact, if you decide to puchase the intake from Steeda ? just ask to speak to Jason and tell him, that I referred you and then ask him about, hooking you up at the discounted rate.. He'll then give you a very great deal on the intake..
Old 5/15/07, 11:24 PM
Cobra Member

I've never tried different tunes from Doug because I use Brenspeed, but Id like to load one of the tunes into someones car - Have them drive it then see what they thought the tune was...Then we could see how much of it was in their head and how much was actually happening.

**Doug Don't think I am taking away from your Tuning at all, because I know you are probably one of the best out there are what you do, Im just curious**
Old 5/16/07, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I use nothing but Doug's 93 race tune, for both daily and spirited driving...IMHO, it's very safe under any driving condition, with the exception of rainy or bad weather conditions, of course.. But then again, my Stang never gets driven under those conditions, to begin with..
+1
Old 5/16/07, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been trying to make this decision myself...My does Bama have different tunes for each Octane...while Breenspeed only have one tune for each Octane? Is there a difference with these?
Old 5/16/07, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm running Doug's 91 octane torque tune and I love it!!! My car power mod wise is bone stock except for his tune. The difference was like night and day. The torque tune has more meat in the usable rpm range (1500 - 4000) and you can definitely feel it. It's a blast on a back road now and I don't have to shift as often now. I have yet to try the 93 octane torque tune and I also have his 93 octane performance tune which I've yet to try. Next I'll be getting a JLT CAI and have Doug update the tunes for that. I can't wait!!!!
Old 5/16/07, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JRay05stang
Doug is the Race tune itself still considered safe for daily driving. Is it different from an all out Race tune?
I would also like to hear a answer from Doug about this question of daily driving with a race tune
Old 5/16/07, 01:59 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nothing wrong with daily driving the race tune besides having to use 93 oct all the time.
Old 5/16/07, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry for the newbie question, about to place an order with Doug and want to get it all straight, but when changing from 93 tune back to 87 tune (I know, why would anyone want to do something that crazy!) does octane matter much. Or could I just fill with 87, reflash and go?
Old 5/16/07, 02:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hatchttu
Sorry for the newbie question, about to place an order with Doug and want to get it all straight, but when changing from 93 tune back to 87 tune (I know, why would anyone want to do something that crazy!) does octane matter much. Or could I just fill with 87, reflash and go?
An 87 tune will work fine with 93 remaining in the tank, but not vice-versa--if that is what you were asking.

Quick Reply: Bamachips Torq Tunes