GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BamaChips R O C K S !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/06, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ttbit
How much has gas mileage suffered with Doug's or Brenspeed tunes? I have been getting 20.5 mpg for the last 5000 miles or so with mixed driving on 87 octane. Not looking for more speed as a primary(traffic stinks here anyway), but the throttle response might be worth it alone if it doesn't kill gas mileage while I am forced to go to 93 octane on top of it.
I just did 200 mile trip in 06 GT auto I'm running brenspeed 93 octane performance tune with a C&L CAI set cruise control between 75-80 averaged 24.9 miles per gal... hard to tell in town I can't keep my foot out of it!...
Old 11/29/06, 08:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the city and in traffic i'm lucky if i get 15mpg...

on the freeway i get pretty good mileage (LA to San Diego and back on one tank)
Old 11/29/06, 09:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
I just did 200 mile trip in 06 GT auto I'm running brenspeed 93 octane performance tune with a C&L CAI set cruise control between 75-80 averaged 24.9 miles per gal... hard to tell in town I can't keep my foot out of it!...
How many miles have you driven it in town with your tune? I am serious when I say I haven't reset my fuel counter in 5000 miles. I keep my foot in it also. I don't beat on it, but I don't egg shell it, that's for sure. My Lincoln LS got around 17-18, the 5.0 Ranger I built did about 17, and my '95 GT got about 17 N/A and about 18-19 with a Kenne Bell and my home-made EEC-Tuner tune.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I got about 24 mpg when I drove to MI and back which was about 1200 miles total. I am not concerned with trips though. I will take one of those a year max with this car. If I get less than 18, I would be pretty ticked as my 5.0 with the Kenne Bell got that.
Old 11/29/06, 09:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwBOOST
in the city and in traffic i'm lucky if i get 15mpg...
Whoa. I never got that low in my 95 GT with the KB even after a day at the strip. You may have some really bad city traffic though...
Old 11/29/06, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

How many miles have you driven it in town with your tune? I am serious when I say I haven't reset my fuel counter in 5000 miles. I keep my foot in it also. I don't beat on it, but I don't egg shell it, that's for sure. My Lincoln LS got around 17-18, the 5.0 Ranger I built did about 17, and my '95 GT got about 17 N/A and about 18-19 with a Kenne Bell and my home-made EEC-Tuner tune.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I got about 24 mpg when I drove to MI and back which was about 1200 miles total. I am not concerned with trips though. I will take one of those a year max with this car. If I get less than 18, I would be pretty ticked as my 5.0 with the Kenne Bell got that.
On my 06 GT build date 06/01/06 I,ve got 2700 miles its been on and flashed for 1700 of that! if your getting 18 in town your doing something right! I never did that good even before the CAI and flash! I think I'm around 15-17 but I kid you not! I get on it pretty good!
Old 11/30/06, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Whoa. I never got that low in my 95 GT with the KB even after a day at the strip. You may have some really bad city traffic though...
well you are in TN.. I live in North Jersey, aka suburbia / city environment. I got 13.8 mpg on the last 3 tanks running the 93 tq tune from bama. but thats just driving around btwn my house and the train station, running errands, and very rarely on the highway for more than 5 minutes. i've been to knoxville, its a whole different layout of roads.. with higher speed limits.. when i took it out for a trip to Allentown PA on route 78, i got about 20mpg and that was still occassioanlly blasting by some folks on the highway (i don't like being behind 18 wheelers, rock chips scare me ) so its all about where you're driving... and how spiritedly you like to drive it! i definitely stretch her out quite a bit.
Old 11/30/06, 07:49 AM
RPM
GT Member

Both tunes are great. I do get better gas mileage with the Brenspeed tune though without any noticable loss in performance. Throttle response between the Bamachip 93 Race tune and Brenspeed 93 tune is the same.
Old 11/30/06, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 on Bamachips being awesome. I run the 93 race tune pretty much all the time and I get around 18.9 mpg mostly city/country driving.
Old 11/30/06, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

How is the 93 race tune on wet pavement? Do you have to use extra care to feather the throttle?
Old 11/30/06, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

How much has gas mileage suffered with Doug's or Brenspeed tunes? I have been getting 20.5 mpg for the last 5000 miles or so with mixed driving on 87 octane. Not looking for more speed as a primary(traffic stinks here anyway), but the throttle response might be worth it alone if it doesn't kill gas mileage while I am forced to go to 93 octane on top of it.
I can only compare as follows:
My stock ford tune on 87 octane I typically averaged 19.5 to 21.5 MPH on my daily trips to work.

With my 93 Octane Brenspeed Tune, I average 19.0 to 20.5 on the same trip.

On the other hand, on the highway, stock I could see 25-28. I can get the same mpg on the highway with the 93 octane Brenspeed tune.

I attribute the difference to the A/F ratio at full throttle between stock and the 93 tune. Full throttle or the brake is just about all I use in stop and go traffic and with street lights going back and forth to work...
Old 11/30/06, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Average driving on a throttle cabled car, I would think a tune would give the same mpg results or darn close as you would mostly be in closed loop, but because they change the tune to throttle more aggressively, I guess that even when not using the lead foot, you are still beating on it more than a stock tune because of the more aggressive curve. I can understand why people say it is night and day as it is like you automatically added 10 pounds to your foot.

I just have to decide whether I am going upgrade the suspension or do the CAI/Tune first. I would love to get rid of that understeer, but don't want to upset the balance or lower it where I have to worry going up my driveway.

Thanks for the input all. Don't want to hijack the thread, but thought that if there was a MPG difference in the two tunes, that might be something to compare, as the HP, feel and quality appears to be very close between the two tuners.
Old 12/1/06, 04:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by neil07gt
How is the 93 race tune on wet pavement? Do you have to use extra care to feather the throttle?
In a word yes...you need to be carefull, it can get real dicey in the wet
Old 12/1/06, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mot250
OK, Bamaheads. I'll just continue to skim through your so-far-unsubtantiated-ravings-that-Doug-is-so-much-better-than-everyone-else. If I see some real data, I'll take my

I was just wondering if there was any real data out there proving that Bamachip tunes are all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips compared to Brenspeed. I don't feel the slightest bit slighted by my Brenspeed tunes. Sure, we all know of Evo users converting to Bamachips (and Brenspeed for that matter) but pah-lease.

Until then, let's all be freinds...
I ran Brent's tunes for about 6 months and was happy with them. A friend told me about Bamachips and said I should try it out. I called Doug, and he let me try out the Performance tune for free. I didn't notice much difference, but was happy with that tune as well. I paid a small amount of cash for the TQ tune, and was really happy with the response over the Brenspeed tune. The next week, my local Mustang club had a Dyno day....so I ran 3 pulls. Brent's 93 octane v. Doug's 93 TQ v. Doug's 93 Perf tunes. Both of Doug's tunes were 7RWHP above Brent's, with even better TQ across the entire RPM range. Not saying anything bad about Brent's tunes...just that the data shows that Doug's get me more power.
Old 12/1/06, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Question

What is a reasonable amount of time to let Doug reply to two voicemails (1 week apart) and one email (48 hours ago)?
Old 12/1/06, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Doug is in Orlando picking up his dyno from VMP. Seems that he won't be back until Sunday. I'm sure he responds when he gets back.
Old 12/1/06, 09:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Cruehead
I ran Brent's tunes for about 6 months and was happy with them. A friend told me about Bamachips and said I should try it out. I called Doug, and he let me try out the Performance tune for free. I didn't notice much difference, but was happy with that tune as well. I paid a small amount of cash for the TQ tune, and was really happy with the response over the Brenspeed tune. The next week, my local Mustang club had a Dyno day....so I ran 3 pulls. Brent's 93 octane v. Doug's 93 TQ v. Doug's 93 Perf tunes. Both of Doug's tunes were 7RWHP above Brent's, with even better TQ across the entire RPM range. Not saying anything bad about Brent's tunes...just that the data shows that Doug's get me more power.
Yeah Baby!!! lol.
Old 12/1/06, 12:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mvon919
Doug is in Orlando picking up his dyno from VMP. Seems that he won't be back until Sunday. I'm sure he responds when he gets back.
Yeah I saw that on his website but it stated that he was leaving yesterday. So I thought over a week with no responce when he is in town was a little on the lenghty side.
Old 12/1/06, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

He will get back to you, he is a little slow sometimes and he has had a lot going on lately.
Old 12/1/06, 05:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by thecarguy
Yeah I saw that on his website but it stated that he was leaving yesterday. So I thought over a week with no responce when he is in town was a little on the lenghty side.
You can send him an email. He regularly check his messages
mailto:info@bamachips.com
Old 12/2/06, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Yeah Baby!!! lol.
Thats a big differance..
Originally Posted by Cruehead
I ran Brent's tunes for about 6 months and was happy with them. A friend told me about Bamachips and said I should try it out. I called Doug, and he let me try out the Performance tune for free. I didn't notice much difference, but was happy with that tune as well. I paid a small amount of cash for the TQ tune, and was really happy with the response over the Brenspeed tune. The next week, my local Mustang club had a Dyno day....so I ran 3 pulls. Brent's 93 octane v. Doug's 93 TQ v. Doug's 93 Perf tunes. Both of Doug's tunes were 7RWHP above Brent's, with even better TQ across the entire RPM range. Not saying anything bad about Brent's tunes...just that the data shows that Doug's get me more power

Quick Reply: BamaChips R O C K S !!!