GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BamaChips Cam(s) install has begun...with pics..

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/06, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BamaChips Cam(s) install has begun...with pics..

The Cam install has begun!! Yes I know its been a while but please, I just got my car out of the bodyshop just over 2 weeks ago from a 4 month stay.

I started by going to the dyno and having a new baseline done on the car yesterday. With the C&L, X-pipe and UDP's I'm making 278rwhp and 285 rwtq, mind you this is an auto that started life around 250rwhp. Also I have 20" wheels that are heavier then the stock wheels.

From there I thought I had everything..Cams, Retainers, Springs, Ford Special tools($300), and compression tester lead to pump up the cylinders with air while I replace the valve springs. Well I got into it and started pulling everything down and thought about it, pulled a spark plug and sure enough Ford has decided to go with a new Thread spark plug different from every plug for the last 50 years. Instead of being a 14mm or even 18mm it is now a 16mmx1.5. Something I dont have and I'm not going to find in Alabama on a Saturday night or even Sunday.

I went online and found a few new special adapters and run one down locally, of course the store isnt open until Monday so that put a huge stop on things. I had a guy from Comp Cams coming down to degree everything for me to ensure proper cam timing with my special grind but atleast I stopped him from coming before it was too late.

Still, I got it all torn down and I'm to the point of needing the adapter to air up the cylinders to hold the valves in place. It took about 4 hours total to get this far just taking my time and doing everything in GREAT detail as you'll see in the pictures. I labeled the location of every cam follower and spark plug coil pack along with the plug. I always keep some cardboad boxes around for use with bolts as I've shown you in a photo below, this is a great way to keep up with what bolt goes where.

I hope to have this all together in the next few weeks, the guy from Comp can't come down this weekend but the following. I dont know, maybe I can wait? Probably not....hahahahaa..

thanks, Doug.

Before Picture http://users.wildblue.net/bamachips/cam1.jpg

Valve cover removed http://users.wildblue.net/bamachips/cam2.jpg

Special tool used to compressor the springs http://users.wildblue.net/bamachips/cam3.jpg

Parts in order http://users.wildblue.net/bamachips/cam4.jpg

Front cover bolts in cardboard http://users.wildblue.net/bamachips/cam5.jpg

Where I stopped http://users.wildblue.net/bamachips/cam6.jpg
Old 8/13/06, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug904
Instead of being a 14mm or even 18mm it is now a 16mmx1.5.
Might as well get the colder HT0 plugs if you're changing them... especially if forced induction is in the plan.
Old 8/13/06, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Might as well get the colder HT0 plugs if you're changing them... especially if forced induction is in the plan.
Yeah I thought about it but I dont really wanna stray to far from stock. I plan on installing my stock air box and seeing what kinda power I can make from it with that too. The plugs are very simple to get to so I think I'll wait, besides these only have 5K miles on them.

I also took about a minute of video of the idle as it is now stock to compare it to afterwards.

thanks, Doug
Old 8/13/06, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

yo Doug it Joe offtopic, put i think the RACE tune you sent me was 93 oct. not 91...si if u can send it to my email again with the 91 oct. that would be awesome!!
Old 8/13/06, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Hooray!! Progress!!!

Too bad about the adapter... there is always one little thing that is unavoidable.

hope you don't run into anymore problems like that

oh and lets see some pictures of this frikkin 4 month paint job.... did they paint it with a one bristle brush or something??
Old 8/14/06, 03:26 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by atomic_il
Hooray!! Progress!!!

Too bad about the adapter... there is always one little thing that is unavoidable.

hope you don't run into anymore problems like that

oh and lets see some pictures of this frikkin 4 month paint job.... did they paint it with a one bristle brush or something??
Well you must have missed the thread......
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=50679
Old 8/14/06, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Burke0011
LOL... I guessed I missed it too. I just don't even look at the other subforums at all.
Old 8/14/06, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011

ya i didn't even look there...
Old 8/14/06, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Glad to hear the project is underway, Doug. Now I can quit bumping the other thread. Which cam are you installing (on of the five from Comp or Bamachips/Comp Special Grind)? I'm following this closely and depending on results, I may volunteer my car for further experimentation. I'll be back down South at the end of next month, so you should be done by then. Any guesses about what you think this car will turn? I like the idea of staying NA, and Whipple has strung me along for too long

Frank
Old 8/14/06, 08:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by wsmatau
Glad to hear the project is underway, Doug. Now I can quit bumping the other thread. Which cam are you installing (on of the five from Comp or Bamachips/Comp Special Grind)? I'm following this closely and depending on results, I may volunteer my car for further experimentation. I'll be back down South at the end of next month, so you should be done by then. Any guesses about what you think this car will turn? I like the idea of staying NA, and Whipple has strung me along for too long

Frank
No speculation here, as sure as I say 25-35rwhp I'll loose 10 so no Murphy's law here . This is the BamaChips grind, Comp didn't wanna do this so I'm doing it myself.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/15/06, 07:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug904
No speculation here, as sure as I say 25-35rwhp I'll loose 10 so no Murphy's law here . This is the BamaChips grind, Comp didn't wanna do this so I'm doing it myself.

Thanks, Doug.
Are they regrinds or new billets?
Old 8/15/06, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

They are Billets
Old 8/16/06, 06:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
They are Billets
Exactly! They start with a brand new Billet core not a regrind and they require new valve springs because anything with a lift more then .450 lift do. These are dang near .500

Later Doug904.
Old 8/16/06, 02:05 PM

Are ya done yet? Are ya done yet? j/k. Good luck and SWEET looking paint job!
Old 8/16/06, 08:10 PM

Hey Doug is your custom more or less agressive than these..intake 241 and exhaust 251 @.050 ?
Old 8/16/06, 10:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jumping in on this thread!
Old 8/17/06, 01:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interested
Old 8/17/06, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by canuck power
Hey Doug is your custom more or less agressive than these..intake 241 and exhaust 251 @.050 ?
Less, mine are more around the mid to upper 230's on the intake and upper 240's on the exhaust.

I've started replacing the springs this week as I just got the adapter in yesterday to pump up the cylinders with air. OMG, this is a PIA even with the right ford tools. So far I've got two cylinders replaced, 6 springs. It took me about an hour per cylinder. If you are quoted $800 to install the cams, springs and retainers then dont think you're getting took, it's a very time consuming process and trying not to drop the tiny keepers into the oil pan doesn't make it any easier.

I'm going awy for the weekend so I wont have much done on it this weekend but I hope to have it all completed by next and go to the dyno next Saturday with it.

thanks, Doug.
Old 8/17/06, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

yup, those valve springs were a ***** and a half to do.
Old 8/18/06, 02:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just get me for 400 whp with a N/A set-up Doug, and I will be in your debt and you'll have my money

Quick Reply: BamaChips Cam(s) install has begun...with pics..