GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M shifter rubbing noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/05, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I searched and couldn't find anything relevant. I noticed that the top right of the steel plate of the shifter rubs against the floor pan during acceleration and breaking. It seems there is some mild movement of the tranny during these times. I bolted everything down to spec. I put a piece of automotive double-backed tape in the area to resolve the issue. It worked for awhile but it must have rubbed through.

It's getting irritating, and I'd hate to sell the shifter because I love everything about it....besides this.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12/1/05, 06:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

you have the rubber bushing in between the studs and the floor pan? Cause they supply those bushing, it also says to compress those bushings only 1/4 of the way down, did you compress them farther down than that???
Old 12/1/05, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@December 1, 2005, 9:57 AM
you have the rubber bushing in between the studs and the floor pan? Cause they supply those bushing, it also says to compress those bushings only 1/4 of the way down, did you compress them farther down than that???
Yes, I put the bushings in. I also thought of the compressions too. I think it actually says 1/8" so I didn't screw them down even as far as 1/4".

I'm stumped, I read your installation thread and noticed you didn't have a rubbing problem. B&M doesn't have any tech notes on this either.

I'm thinking I should try tightening it down to the floor pan some more, however I don't see how this would improve the situation.
Old 12/1/05, 09:33 AM

I am also having the same issue. I did tighten the back two nuts down more and this helped for about a week or so. Now the rubbing sound is back. It sounds like the rear plate holes rubbing up and down on the stud treads.
Old 12/1/05, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Luthur@December 1, 2005, 12:36 PM
I am also having the same issue. I did tighten the back two nuts down more and this helped for about a week or so. Now the rubbing sound is back. It sounds like the rear plate holes rubbing up and down on the stud treads.

I was also thinking that too. The holes are very close to the threads and minor flex could cause them to rub.

I just spoke with a tech at B&M (who sounded half asleep) and he mentioned that it was probably overtightened.

I just don't see that as the case. If the nuts were any looser they would fall off. I used locktite just to insure this doesn't happen.

Your theory about the stud holes may not be far off. We'll find out tonight.

First, I'm going to use plastic washers to space out the bushings some more. If that doesn't work then.....

Second, I will use some sort of plastic grommet for the stud holes to fill the small gap
Old 12/2/05, 06:23 AM
Bullitt Member

It's the studs rubbing against the shifter plate.

I tightened it down and for a little while there was no noise, but it eventually started "creeeeeking" again.

This thing pisses me off, so I'm selling it. Going with the Hurst.

I've been under the car about 10 times now to make adjustments. Nothing should require this much tweeking if it is designed properly.