GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

B&M...ANYONE?

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/05, 10:53 AM
jlb
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have real-world feedback on this shifter??? Thanks!
-jb
Old 9/29/05, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I'd be interested in this setup as well.
Old 9/29/05, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had a B&M shifter on every Mustang I owned. I trust them 100%. Great shifter, I'll be definately getting one.
Old 9/29/05, 03:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Its on my to do list.....
Old 10/12/05, 12:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just ordered it today!
Old 10/12/05, 05:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@October 12, 2005, 12:07 PM
Just ordered it today!
Just curious, but why did you pick this one over the Hurst and Steeda Tri-Ax? I just ordered the Hurst one today
Old 10/12/05, 05:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by schmads@October 12, 2005, 7:21 PM
Just curious, but why did you pick this one over the Hurst and Steeda Tri-Ax? I just ordered the Hurst one today
just wanted to be the test mule again for something no one had, like when I did the jet T/B spacer, plus I've had other friends with Mustangs and 2 of them actually had B&M shifters in them and they felt very nice! THe group buy for the Hurst Sux cause of the extra 6-8% i have to pay cause I live in NJ, I don't know why CJ Pony Parts does that, it just doesn't seem right, then I read some others on here had to do some kind of fabrications or alterations in order to get the Hurst shifter in, plus the Steeda shifter has gone up to almost $300 which is rediculous. Overall, I wanted to be different and go with B&M
Old 10/12/05, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@October 12, 2005, 5:46 PM
just wanted to be the test mule again for something no one had, like when I did the jet T/B spacer, plus I've had other friends with Mustangs and 2 of them actually had B&M shifters in them and they felt very nice! THe group buy for the Hurst Sux cause of the extra 6-8% i have to pay cause I live in NJ, I don't know why CJ Pony Parts does that, it just doesn't seem right, then I read some others on here had to do some kind of fabrications or alterations in order to get the Hurst shifter in, plus the Steeda shifter has gone up to almost $300 which is rediculous. Overall, I wanted to be different and go with B&M
Cool and thanks for the response. I hope you're happy with yours and that I'm happy with mine! I believe that the extra 6-8% in NJ is because they have a physical store presence there, so they have to charge sales tax. They aren't doing it because they dislike New Jersey It's the same thing when you order from Dell in Texas, and get charged sales tax on the internet orders (ouch). I know that I will NOT be making any modifications to get my shifter in. If it won't go in properly as it is, then it's going back. Good luck to us both! Oh, and as for the T/B Spacer, I am considering that because of your post, so thanks for putting it up.
Old 10/12/05, 05:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by schmads@October 12, 2005, 7:58 PM
Cool and thanks for the response. I hope you're happy with yours and that I'm happy with mine! I believe that the extra 6-8% in NJ is because they have a physical store presence there, so they have to charge sales tax. They aren't doing it because they dislike New Jersey It's the same thing when you order from Dell in Texas, and get charged sales tax on the internet orders (ouch). I know that I will NOT be making any modifications to get my shifter in. If it won't go in properly as it is, then it's going back. Good luck to us both! Oh, and as for the T/B Spacer, I am considering that because of your post, so thanks for putting it up.

no problem, thats what I'm here for.....
Old 10/12/05, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

Real interested in this too, but kinda academic - I got the Hurst already and just to set the record straight - no, there were no alterations or modifications to get it put in, whatsoever. I fussed with mine some afterwards but I like to tinker anyway. But B&M is a good product also and I'm just curious, becuase a lot of people have since asked me for feedback on what to get. Ought to work out real well, looking forward to how it goes.

No matter what brand you go with, make sure you get a deep, DEEP-well 10mm socket for the two stupid nuts that mount the rear of the stock shifter as'sy to the bottom of the floorpan underneath. In typical Detroit fashion, the nuts are on studs about 10 miles long for no reason, and the thread is tight so fingers can't get 'em off, and room is tight in the trans tunnel there for a wrench. Otherwise you'll be doing the usual 1/8-turn with the little dinky wrench, remove, turn wrench over, get wrench back on nut, turn 1/8 again, lather, rinse, repeat, for about a half hour on each...
Old 10/13/05, 09:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

here's the install guide, no need to drop the drive shaft!
Old 10/13/05, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stoopy@October 12, 2005, 7:28 PM
No matter what brand you go with, make sure you get a deep, DEEP-well 10mm socket for the two stupid nuts
would an extender work just as well?
Old 10/14/05, 04:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by nonsensez9@October 13, 2005, 8:36 PM
would an extender work just as well?
You'll need an extension for sure to get the socket to reach up there....but the other problem is the two 10mm nits are on long studs that a socket won't fit over, a regular socket will "hit bottom" on the lug before reaching the nuts. Those nuts are also in an awkward position to work with on a wrench, and although it can be done, it's far more time consuming than having the right socket. Just my advice. When you get under there have a look, and maybe be prepared for a trip to the hardware store....I picked up a deep 10mm socket for a few bucks at Lowes, well worth it.

Hey, this is a real interesting setup on this shifter!!! I see it re-uses the stock rubber bushings - that should make it a little less harsh/tight than the Hurst and Steeda maybe?? I had wondered a while back what the Hurst would be like with the stock rubber bushings instead of the hard poly ones, maybe this will be a good indication?

Looks like it ends up at the stock height as well?
Old 10/14/05, 06:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Stoopy@October 14, 2005, 7:01 AM
Hey, this is a real interesting setup on this shifter!!! I see it re-uses the stock rubber bushings - that should make it a little less harsh/tight than the Hurst and Steeda maybe?? I had wondered a while back what the Hurst would be like with the stock rubber bushings instead of the hard poly ones, maybe this will be a good indication?

Looks like it ends up at the stock height as well?

Yea I was amazed by that too and was thinking about ordering the steeda bushings later on if I want more of a firm feeling to the short shifter, I dunno its an idea, but can't wait for the shifter to arrive today!!
Old 10/14/05, 03:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Its Here!!! Here are some out of the box photos......will be installing it Sunday.....

Old 10/14/05, 03:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@October 14, 2005, 3:34 PM
Its Here!!! Here are some out of the box photos......will be installing it Sunday.....

Wow... that looks well made and nice and sturdy. Stop trying to make me rethink my Hurst purchase, 'cause I'm getting it Wed! I'll have to make sure to take pics when I get it too
Old 10/14/05, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

That does indeed look extremely high quality, very nice. Gotta be hard to stop playing around with it the night before installing it!!!

This will be interesting. From what Ive seen I think the consensus that either way you go with the different brands metioned, it's actually hard to be unhappy. They're gonna have their small unique plusses and minuses, but all are gonna end up being better than stock, this one too no doubt!

TASTY!!!!
Old 10/14/05, 07:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll keep ya updated.....
Old 10/16/05, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

B&M is getting installed today, be back later with some pics and an update! Will be installing it with forum member "Cheese302"
Old 10/16/05, 01:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's Installed!!!!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=36653