GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Axle Back install help?

Search this Thread

Old 4/20/06, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my frpp borla axle backs, and the dealership wanted to know if I wanted them to install it. I say fine, how much. The guy quotes me at 200 for install, my jaw hit the floor. Ummmmmm no! It looks like just a few bolts. My question is can i install these with out a lift or rhino ramps? I got under my car to see and i fit fine, but i just wanted to no if there is any more than what meets the eye.
Old 4/20/06, 04:57 PM

i installed my flowmasters without any rhino ramps or a jack. It only took about 45min easy install $200 dollars is highway robbery
Old 4/20/06, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

No lifts needed, easy install, just unbolt the stock exhaust and put the new one on. Should take about 30mins.
Old 4/20/06, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

Sweet thanks guys, thats what i thought. Could you guys give me any install tips?
The way it looks like under the car is just unbolting the mufflers from the cat back pipe, them unbolting the plastic things the hangers are on. Is that it?
Old 4/20/06, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

EASY INSTALL. TAKES ABOUT 15 MINUTES A SIDE WITH BASIC HAND TOOLS.
Old 4/20/06, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple bolts on the hangers are hard to see... you have to do it by feel. The best tool I found for them is a rachet wrench... they are easier to get in there than a socket.
Old 4/20/06, 05:15 PM
Cobra R Member

same here, but I cheated and used a set of Rhino ramps.

easy first bolt on.....more to come trust me.
Old 4/20/06, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cmm101 @ April 20, 2006, 4:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The way it looks like under the car is just unbolting the mufflers from the cat back pipe, them unbolting the plastic things the hangers are on. Is that it?
[/b][/quote]

Yep, that's it....easy $200 to spend on another mod [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 05:33 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustangspeeder @ April 20, 2006, 7:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yep, that's it....easy $200 to spend on another mod [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Thats the way I saw it when he said $200, but that was it he said i would need to leave my car overnight or there for a 3-4 hours.

Thanx for all the fast replies everyone!
Old 4/20/06, 05:39 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it's easy to do. I've done it in a junk yard on grave, with no lift at all. There are 2 brackets per muffler, and each bracket has 2 bolts. One on the side of the frame rail, one on the bottom. I've seen some instructions that state you can do it by just removing one bracket per side, but not sure if that's the front or back bracket. I have done it 3 times now, and took both brackets off each time. Rachet wrenches would be perfect for the bolts on the bottom of the frame rails, as they sit just above the muffler.

Good luck and enjoy the new sound!
Old 4/20/06, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cmm101 @ April 20, 2006, 6:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sweet thanks guys, thats what i thought. Could you guys give me any install tips?
[/b][/quote]
I did a write-up of my install (Flowmasters)
Go HERE to download it. (MS Word file)
Should be everything you need to know to get it accomplished.
This is a very EASY modification, and $200 is just BS [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 06:08 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ April 20, 2006, 7:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I did a write-up of my install (Flowmasters)
Go HERE to download it. (MS Word file)
Should be everything you need to know to get it accomplished.
This is a very EASY modification, and $200 is just BS [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I think your link my be dead, the page dosent come up, ill pm u my email, please send it too me if it isnt too much trouble.
Old 4/20/06, 08:50 PM
GT Member

There was a thread on FRPP exhaust a little while ago. Might have been erased in the crash. In it a lot of people (including myself) had problems centering the mufflers. I loosend up the bolts that connect to the h-pipe to center it. I believe most of the people went this route. Some bent the hangers a little.
Old 4/20/06, 10:02 PM
Banned

Ok, so from what yall say the axle-backs are easy. What about changing out the x or h pipe?
Old 4/20/06, 11:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LonghornTX @ April 20, 2006, 9:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, so from what yall say the axle-backs are easy. What about changing out the x or h pipe?
[/b][/quote]

Bit harder, but it sounds very doable. I have an H pipe otw and plan on following THESE DIRECTIONS
Old 4/20/06, 11:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have swapped H pipes out with the car on the curb. it can be done. its tight, but it can be done.
Old 4/21/06, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is the only other piece of advice I haven't seen here yet. When i installed my Flows I couldn't get the tips to center in the rear facia opening. Thanks to (someone w/ a Lime GT) on this site, the trick was to loosening the mid pipe clamp and roatating the aft pipe a little. Everything centered up nicely.
Good luck, and have fun doin' it yourself. It's easy!
Old 4/21/06, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Chris. I did the install about a month ago. Had a detailed write-up with pics, but got wiped out when TMS crashed. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

I would suggest getting the Rhino ramps. Not only will it make things easier (especially getting to the mid-pipe clamps), but you can use it for other things like oil changes.

Here's some tips;
Leave the hanger brackets on the stock muffler after you unbolt them. When you lay the muffler on the floor next to the Stingers, transfer the brackets in the same orientation.

After you get the Stinger in place, check your tip to see if it's centered withing the rear bumper.
If it's off center, loosen the over-axle clamp and the 2 nuts from the mid-pipe clamp (near the 'H').
Have someone center the tip while you tighten the over-axle clamp first, then the mid-pipe clamp last.

Done! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Comparison

Over-axle clamp
Old 4/21/06, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One other thing I did was to take a dremel and cut/grind those stupid little buttons off the stock over-axle pipes. They seemed to get in the way all the time and make installation/alignment harder on some mufflers. Once I got rid of them, I had a lot more adjustability.
Old 4/21/06, 11:54 AM
V6 Member

Awesome tips everyone, I should be undertaking the swap in a few hours. Unfortunitaly I thought i had access to ramps, but my friend sold his set. I guess i will just have to make due without them, I am pretty confident. After all is said and done, I will surly report back and let everyone know how it goes.

O ya TacoBill, your write up was the one i was looking for, I actually did do a search before i post this topic but couldn't find it(I thought I was going crazy, could have swore I saw it awhile back) but i guess it did get deleated.

Quick Reply: Axle Back install help?