GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Auto tranny - Tune / Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/05, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, i have tested 2 SCT files for the Auto Tranny. The current version out there works well for the auto tranny. The 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are much firmer and much quicker. I, however, have been wanting hard shifts, more stall and possibly less drive train loss.

Does anyone have any inside info on a stall being sold or in R&D ? Does anyone know know of a company that have been focusing on the auto tranny for the 05 ?

* BTW, no need to suggest http://www.alternativeauto.com/. I called them and they will not give our their settings NOR will they sell you a XTR file with the settings in there. I guess you have to live in Mt. Clemens, Michigan to get their tune

-Bryan
Old 4/27/05, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2005RedGT@April 27, 2005, 8:58 AM
Hey guys, i have tested 2 SCT files for the Auto Tranny. The current version out there works well for the auto tranny. The 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are much firmer and much quicker. I, however, have been wanting hard shifts, more stall and possibly less drive train loss.

Does anyone have any inside info on a stall being sold or in R&D ? Does anyone know know of a company that have been focusing on the auto tranny for the 05 ?

* BTW, no need to suggest http://www.alternativeauto.com/. I called them and they will not give our their settings NOR will they sell you a XTR file with the settings in there. I guess you have to live in Mt. Clemens, Michigan to get their tune

-Bryan
bryan, look up www.converter.com
they were in the making of finishing up a stall converter for the 05 2 weeks.call them to see where they stand now.
Old 4/27/05, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks
Old 4/27/05, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Bryan, is the last version you are referring to the one Andre did for us at HPE when John and I added the JLT?
That tune does seem to shift harder but I don't like the way it down shifts at slow speeds. It seems like it has trouble finding the correct gear to be in for that speed. Also it idles at about 900-1000 RPM. Is yours doing this also?
I had to take my car in for scheduled service so I put it all back to stock. When I got home I just took the HC trap out and went back to the JDM tune I had before for now. I did notice about a 3 MPG increase in gas mileage, so I may run with that unless I go to the track for now. Gas prices are insane.

Steve
Old 4/27/05, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, it is the same tune from few weeks ago. The downshift is a result of SCT still testing (I assume these are tests since no-one will give me a clear answer on their forums) the clutches, etc in the tranny. The idle can be changed by downloading the Extreme Tune. Then, using the file that Andre sent, lower the idle, flash the XCal then your stang - it is very easy.

Sad to hear you went back tot he JDM tune, since you got 20+rwhp from Andre and the JLT kit.

If you dont have the Exteme Tune software, get it here: http://www.sctflash.com/software/Xtreme.exe

-Bryan
Old 4/27/05, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SC67Stang@April 27, 2005, 11:56 AM
Hey Bryan, is the last version you are referring to the one Andre did for us at HPE when John and I added the JLT?
That tune does seem to shift harder but I don't like the way it down shifts at slow speeds. It seems like it has trouble finding the correct gear to be in for that speed. Also it idles at about 900-1000 RPM. Is yours doing this also?
I had to take my car in for scheduled service so I put it all back to stock. When I got home I just took the HC trap out and went back to the JDM tune I had before for now. I did notice about a 3 MPG increase in gas mileage, so I may run with that unless I go to the track for now. Gas prices are insane.

Steve

I had the same problem, and Andres sent me a tune without any tranny mods. It seems to work a lot better now.
Old 4/27/05, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm waiting for the XCal2 to come out and I'll get it from Alternative. That way I get the tranny shifting/torque managment thing and still be able to change things.

Chris
Old 4/27/05, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

My BLue Heaven, you going to their location to get tuned? They told me they don't sell their XTR files so I would assume they wont sell / give them away via a mail order purchase. Nor have I found if they will do a mail order sale ... do you know for sure they will sell it to you ?

heck , maybe I spoke to the wrong person - but I was for sure blown off

-Bryan
Old 4/27/05, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I talked to Lidio a couple of weeks ago. They'll sell you an xcalibrator with their tune in it, they just won't let you have the file for modifications for an auto. He's done a lot of R&D for the autos and I can understand him not wanting the base file to be compromised.

If you already have an xcal my understanding was to send it in, they update it, and send it back to you.

My issues with this was for any future mods you're sorta out of luck. Hence I'll wait for the XCal2, buy it from them, and as I do other mods I can tweak my own a/f and spark timing via the unit.

That's my plan anyway.
Chris
Old 4/27/05, 03:23 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@April 27, 2005, 11:03 AM
Yes, it is the same tune from few weeks ago. The downshift is a result of SCT still testing (I assume these are tests since no-one will give me a clear answer on their forums) the clutches, etc in the tranny. The idle can be changed by downloading the Extreme Tune. Then, using the file that Andre sent, lower the idle, flash the XCal then your stang - it is very easy.

Sad to hear you went back tot he JDM tune, since you got 20+rwhp from Andre and the JLT kit.

If you dont have the Exteme Tune software, get it here: http://www.sctflash.com/software/Xtreme.exe

-Bryan
bryan , i also got my tune at JDM and love it so far. its not a bad tune my stock # were 254/268 after mods 286/309. nice gains i think.
Old 4/27/05, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Alternative Auto tune and it will bark the tires in second and almost 3rd. They have done alot of work on the auto and you should really consider them. There is a ton of part throttle performance along with WOT. Oh and I don't live anywhere near Michigan (Texas)

They also can have your convertor loosened, but I decided to wait on the actual convertor itself because of down time. They fixed me up with a tune for it also so I'm reafy to go as soon as it is available. If you need more info pm me and I'll give you my phone number.

Thanks Mike
Old 4/27/05, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Mike, I called them and they brushed me off. I even specifically asked if they would sell me a tune via XTR file and they said no. How did you get their tune ?

-Bryan
Old 4/27/05, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2005RedGT@April 27, 2005, 4:43 PM
Hey Mike, I called them and they brushed me off. I even specifically asked if they would sell me a tune via XTR file and they said no. How did you get their tune ?

-Bryan
i went there and got it done. i live about 1 hour from there. talk to TODD and tell him 'mike w/ the auto 05 gt sent you".
Old 4/27/05, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Bryan, Thanks for the info and download. I have downloaded the files and installed them. I also have the tune file from Andre, but how do I open it and modify that file? I do want to go back to Andres tune, but would like to resolve those few issues first. Maybe I should try the tunes without the tranny mods like Chad did.
Mike, I also like the JDM tune. Let me know if you have any luck getting tunes from them for the CAI. It might be fun to see which tune will give the most gains and performance at the track.
I do want to put the JLT CAI back on the car. I like the extra power it added.
Old 4/27/05, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SC67Stang@April 27, 2005, 9:39 PM
Hey Bryan, Thanks for the info and download. I have downloaded the files and installed them. I also have the tune file from Andre, but how do I open it and modify that file? I do want to go back to Andres tune, but would like to resolve those few issues first. Maybe I should try the tunes without the tranny mods like Chad did.
Mike, I also like the JDM tune. Let me know if you have any luck getting tunes from them for the CAI. It might be fun to see which tune will give the most gains and performance at the track.
I do want to put the JLT CAI back on the car. I like the extra power it added.
steve , the 23hp gain you have . is that with sct,magnaflows and jlt?
Old 4/28/05, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Mike,
The 23 HP gain was with the JLT dynoed after getting a baseline with everything else. It was actually done on a Mustang Dyno at 20 RWHP. The 23 comes from converting to the Dynojet since that is all the other numbers I have.

My car fully stock Dynoed on the Dynojet was at 259 RWHP, after the SCT tune it went to 273 RWHP with the JDM tune. This was with 87 oct gas in the car and the tune was for 93. Also the HC trap was still in. I added the Magnaflows but didn't have it dynoed with them. I don't think these added any HP.

Car with all the above before the JLT dynoed 241 RWHP on the Mustang Dyno and 261 RWHP on the very next run after adding the JLT and Andres tune.

With all that I think my car should be about 293-296 RWHP on the Dynojet.
Andre hit it right on the very first try. Everything looked great on the dyno.
Just had those small issues noted earlier.

Total RWHP gains with all my mods was 37 RWHP.

I really need to go back to the Dyno I had the car done on the first time to get a real comparison.

Mike it looks like our cars are very similar with the mods and even the same color.
Nice choices there if I do say.

The JLT is worth it. If you do get this CAI make sure you read Bryans write up on this. We all had to change out the rubber inserts on the MAF. No big deal just got them from Home Depot for a couple bucks.
I never had any issues with CEL with this intake.

Steve
Old 4/28/05, 10:51 AM
FR500 Member

Bryan, you might want to try Doug at www.bamachips.com for a tune for the auto. Tell him Ian sent you and he might even set you up with a free tune. A while back when I was complaining on here about Modular Depot and how they wouldn't send me my tune file, he stepped in and offered to send me a tune. I gave him my mods and he hooked me up with an awesome tune. I had one from MD and MMR, and neither was anywhere close to the one Doug made me. The shifts are firmed up a lot, and he turned off torque reduction for shifts. Not exactly what that means, but he said it means the world for manuals. All I know is with his tune, this car shifts soooo smooth, it's insane. The first time I had it installed and floored it, I could barely feel/hear the car shifting. It's that smooth. And it got me a tenth of a second faster 0-60 with my g-timer.
Old 4/28/05, 08:48 PM
GT Member

Little late on this one, but I can put in my two cents.

I have both an XCal and Predator, and have ran several different tunes form several different shops in my car. The best tune I have found, thus far, is the DTP tune I received with the JLT intake.

My car baselined, on a Mustang dyno 255hp/259tq and went to 261/260 with the removal of the HC trap

On a different day, on the same dyno, I ran the following:

Baseline was 260hp/280tq
With the Predator 91 octane tune, the numbers were 265hp/283tq
With an SCT tune from DynoLabs numbers were 266hp/281tq
Installed the JLT intake, used a custom Diablo tune 282hp/284tq (With this tune, there were some shifting issues, CE light, etc.)
Installed DTP custom SCT tune 299hp/298tq

I spoke with Jack at Precision Industries and he indicated that the Stallion converter for our cars is still several weeks away. He did say he would send me a unit with a 500rpm greater stall for the car, but would need my core back in exchange. ($395 for the converter;$300 core charge, refundable when they get mine back) That being the case, there would not be any real "down" time.
Old 4/29/05, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will check into them.

I am for sure going to get the 9 1/2" stall when it comes out. I will hope to find someone to knows how to setup an auto tranny. SCT has been working on it - but I dont think they are going to make them bark in 1-2 and 2-3.

-Bryan
Old 4/29/05, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine barks 1-2 everytime and almost 2-3

I'm like you guys on waiting for the true convertor instead of having mine bumped up 500. I was offered that,but I would rather of a convertor designed for the car since that is the most important thing for auto. I can't hardly wait

Thanks Mike

Quick Reply: Auto tranny - Tune / Mods ?