GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Auto shifter- i want to build one

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/07, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto shifter- i want to build one

Okay, I'm done waiting for the MAN to build an auto shifter handle.
I have taken mine apart and have a GOOD idea of what I want to build.

Heres what I have in mind, I want to design and build a custom shifter handle.
It will mostly be for looks BUT I will add a third button that will activate a selinoid for another function. NO2, line lock,etc.
I need a used auto shifter from a 05-to 08'Mustang, it can be any style and in working condition. It is okay if it is marked up or scratched.

If you have one and don't need it , i will take it.

Here is what you get.......
When I am finished with the design, build and testing you will get a
a duplicate of the shifter.

If you are interested please PM or email me.
Old 12/26/07, 10:58 PM
Bullitt Member

bump
Old 12/27/07, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

hey man i dropped you a PM a few days ago, long story short i have a non-iup shifter i would be glad to donate to this cause. . .hit me back and we will discuss further

-Lonnie
Old 12/27/07, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

You may be better off getting the shifter from the new T-Bird and modifying it to work than to use the existing auto shifter. From what I have read the T-Bird has the same tranny as our cars.
Old 12/28/07, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Twisted
You may be better off getting the shifter from the new T-Bird and modifying it to work than to use the existing auto shifter. From what I have read the T-Bird has the same tranny as our cars.
I was thinking something along those lines like the explorer or aviator. don't they have a 5r55s trans too. My wifes new edge has a cool shifter....much nicer than our stock POS. Please post when you're finished I'd be interested also.
Old 12/28/07, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looking at the Edge and MKX I am planning to use the MKX shifter as a replacement for the wife's auto shift handle. I have an idea to make a spacer to accommodate for the difference in geometry near the base.

I couldn't get my local dealer to look up the part and price last year as they didn't have replacement info. Maybe better luck this spring.
Old 12/28/07, 09:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've been kicking around the idea for a little while, since the b&m one will, eventually, be based off of a Quicksilver shifter, and I sure the TCI on will be based off of some already engineered piece, with the necessary changes to make it fit our cars. There was a picture in some thread of a B&M Hammer shifter in an '05+ car in the UK, might have been somewhere in Subzero's b&m autostick thread.
Old 12/29/07, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twisted
Wait...would that even work?

I think someone with the secret ingredients (ie - time, money) needs to try that out. If it works, all we'd need is a nicer mounting solution.
Old 12/29/07, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
Looking at the Edge and MKX I am planning to use the MKX shifter as a replacement for the wife's auto shift handle. I have an idea to make a spacer to accommodate for the difference in geometry near the base.

I couldn't get my local dealer to look up the part and price last year as they didn't have replacement info. Maybe better luck this spring.

Could you share more info about the other shifters?
thanks
Old 12/29/07, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I might have miss spoken...
This shifter will only be cosmetic......
I think the shifters in are car look like crap.... and the view aftermarket shifters out there look either too lame or way over the top.
i just want something a bit better looking.

Please feel free to give any positive input or design ideas that you might have.
Thanks for listening.
Old 12/29/07, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

can you share some more of your thoughts and ideas on this subjest?
Old 12/29/07, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, this ****es me off. I just typed out a five paragraph description with images and the **** site logged me off.

So...

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32329424-2-300-DT4.gif

I'm going to adapt this to my vert in March. I have a plan for an adapter and I will have it CNC machined and tripple chromed. The adapter would be used to make the rectangular base of then new shift assembly match the "H beam" of the S197 base.

If you want to get working on this sooner, I will not have access to my cars until then, so I cannot take mine apart and get dimensions and such. I will need parts, so either patience, or we need to get other pieces.

I have CAD and can generated a 3D file for upload to a CNC. This should make things easier. I know a couple of manufacturers that would be interested in making this once they find the demand great enough.

I just want one and if it is a purchaseable item, I'm going to be lazy. If I don't see anything similar to what I want by March, I'll have mine made and installed by June.
Old 12/30/07, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun_beauchamp
OK, this ****es me off. I just typed out a five paragraph description with images and the **** site logged me off.

So...

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/32329424-2-300-DT4.gif

I'm going to adapt this to my vert in March. I have a plan for an adapter and I will have it CNC machined and tripple chromed. The adapter would be used to make the rectangular base of then new shift assembly match the "H beam" of the S197 base.

If you want to get working on this sooner, I will not have access to my cars until then, so I cannot take mine apart and get dimensions and such. I will need parts, so either patience, or we need to get other pieces.

I have CAD and can generated a 3D file for upload to a CNC. This should make things easier. I know a couple of manufacturers that would be interested in making this once they find the demand great enough.

I just want one and if it is a purchaseable item, I'm going to be lazy. If I don't see anything similar to what I want by March, I'll have mine made and installed by June.

Hey Shaun,
Maybe I can help also. I have a 2005 Performance White Vert with auto trans and am plant manager of a tool and die shop to boot. Also, I have 32 years experience as a toolmaker. I can have anything put on Autocad, 3D solids, reverse engineered or CNC machined if required. So making stuff is easy. I would like to help out with this project. Let me know if I can help. I also have a great interest.
Scott
Old 12/30/07, 01:54 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
There was a picture in some thread of a B&M Hammer shifter in an '05+ car in the UK
I remember that too, but it wasn't a 5R55S in that car, it was an 4R70 AOD
Old 12/30/07, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

I didn't realize that, Tony!! I just remembered the picture, thats all. I'm with you guys on making something that looks good, but I'd like mine to function well too. I don't have to have something where you push it over to the side and then shift it up and down, just something with better detents so i can bang it up or down without worrying about it skipping thru a gear. I'm not able to manufacture anything, I just "rig" things to work how I want them to, according to my friends!!!LOL!! Anyway, I'm suscribing to this thread and want to see something happen in this area, just to tick those big companies off!!!
Old 12/30/07, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

when you guys are doing the CAD work can you design a gate mechanism similar to a quarter stick or prostick with a reverse lock out?? I know a lot of people like ratchets but IMHO ratchet shifters.....um.. suck. I've had two and both jammed from day one. I switched over to gated shifters and never looked back....or messed up a shift(which BTW is a bit embarrasing in an auto....especially when it's a f'n powerglide) I like the looks of the new TCI shifter but once i found out it was a ratchet shifter i'm not interested.
Old 12/30/07, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

couple pics of the aviator shifter. just can't quite see what the front looks like though. I still like the shifter handle in my wifes Edge.
Attached Images      
Old 12/30/07, 10:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Here's a pic of a 2005 f150 shifter (don't flame me if its not for our trans!!) that is on ebay rt now. Looks a lot like the aviator/edge style shifter.
Attached Images  
Old 12/30/07, 10:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Spyder, I've never used either type in anger, but I have used both and which ever works best, reliably, works for me, I got the Quicksilver recently, sold the pro-stick just as soon as I put the Qsilver in, IMHO, its easier for the wife to use, less complicated. I've used the stock shifter in my car manually, and have gotten it into Neutral w/out much effort, thankfully NOT while I was really pushing it!!!
Old 12/30/07, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool

Here's a shifter for an Edge on ebay.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Auto shifter- i want to build one