GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

auto owners with mods what dyno #'s w/ mods do

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u have now? and what mods? and what times at track? .......took my car in to JDM ENGINEERING today for installment of JLT kit. cant wait to see results!!!
Old 5/25/05, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with 300 miles on the car I went 13.6@99 all stock
I just installed the JLT/DTP, and have to get back to Atco to see what difference they made
Old 5/25/05, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by bigaloz@May 25, 2005, 6:05 AM
with 300 miles on the car I went 13.6@99 all stock
I just installed the JLT/DTP, and have to get back to Atco to see what difference they made
let me know next time u are heading to atco. im think of tomorrow if i get my car back
Old 5/25/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I'll let you know tomorrow, very possible if it doesn't rain
Old 5/28/05, 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

my new numbers 5/27/05

293.36 hp/ 315.12 tq
Old 5/28/05, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

See my sig for mods and dyno results. Mine are a LOT lower than yours, I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Also, here's my question. We did the dyno pull in third gear since that's the one that gave us a steady predicatable acceleration. Putting it in "D" even with OD and TCS off resulted in it jumping gears all over the place. How do you do a dyno pull like that? Is third the wrong gear to use? And how much are my results off if so?

Gah! Feel like I'm just spinning my wheels (no pun intended).

Alright, pun intended, but regretted!
Old 5/28/05, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@May 28, 2005, 8:49 PM
See my sig for mods and dyno results. Mine are a LOT lower than yours, I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Also, here's my question. We did the dyno pull in third gear since that's the one that gave us a steady predicatable acceleration. Putting it in "D" even with OD and TCS off resulted in it jumping gears all over the place. How do you do a dyno pull like that? Is third the wrong gear to use? And how much are my results off if so?

Gah! Feel like I'm just spinning my wheels (no pun intended).

Alright, pun intended, but regretted!
are your dyno #'s with the mods? or stock? my stock #'s were 254.73hp/268.79 tq..... regarding doing dyno pull i think my guy originally would have a problem with the spike kicking in 4th gear but he mastered it now. i would post my dyno sheet but my darn computer just wont upload. my chart shows a real nice uprise in hp/tq with no spikes!! good luck.
Old 5/28/05, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by elvism@May 28, 2005, 8:46 PM
are your dyno #'s with the mods? or stock? my stock #'s were 254.73hp/268.79 tq..... regarding doing dyno pull i think my guy originally would have a problem with the spike kicking in 4th gear but he mastered it now. i would post my dyno sheet but my darn computer just wont upload. my chart shows a real nice uprise in hp/tq with no spikes!! good luck.
Those numbers are with mods. How did you master doing the dyno? I think my numbers are off because of using third gear instead of fourth.
Old 5/28/05, 10:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@May 28, 2005, 10:09 PM
Those numbers are with mods. How did you master doing the dyno? I think my numbers are off because of using third gear instead of fourth.
i didnt do the dyno myself. it takes some practice w/ an automatic. your dyno guy should practice but most importantly your tune has to be right. those number are bad for what you've done to your car. they should be alot higher. good luck, mike
Old 5/29/05, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The spike you see in 4th gear pulls is when the torque converter locks up. 4th gear pulls usually result in higher HP readings than 3rd gear pulls.

Be cautious when comparing HP between vehicles. In order for results to be accurate the same dyno must be used on both vehicles. For example Mustang, Dynojet and Superflow will all yield different HP results.

I always have my vehicle dyno'd at the same location - DiabloSport. Minor differences in ambient air temp, humidity, etc. can all affect HP results even on the same vehicle.

HP readings are also deceptive if not SAE corrected.

Lastly don't believe manufacturer's claims of HP gains. Those gains are usually on a stock vehicle with no other mods. For example: If you add pulleys, CAI, Custom Tune, Headers and each claim HP gains of 10 RWHP that doesn't mean you will see an increase of 40 RWHP. Usually the actual results are much lower.

HP should primarily be used as a point of reference on your vehicle to determine if a mod improved your performance. Not necessarily to compare one vehicle to another.

Remember what Carrol Shelby said:
"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races"
Old 5/29/05, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

tmcolegr,

Understand completely. So, tell me if this process that they had me go through was wrong, then, if you would:

They strapped the car down on the dyno, had me crank it, and we put it in "D", TCS off, OD off. We slowly worked it up, counting as it shifted gears. As soon as it went into 4th gear at around 2000 rpm, they had me floor the gas. The car immediately dropped down at least one, probably two gears, and went to redline in a matter of seconds, where I let off the gas at about 6,000 rpm and it coasted down. Very difficult to get a reading from. The next run they had me put it in 3rd, which stayed in that gear. Much more predictable pull, very even. It "felt" right, if that makes any sense.

Is this how you are supposed to dyno an automatic, or did we do it wrong? That's mainly what I'm concerned about. I know it's comparing apples to walnuts to compare two cars in different states, different mods, etc. I just want to know if I'm getting a fairly accurate reading for my car. Dyno racing proves nothing, only the track does. I just want to know what my car is doing for me, not in comparison to anyone else.

Elvism, I'm sorry if I have hijacked your thread, it was not my intention.

Eric
Old 5/29/05, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have personally never ran the car myself on the dyno - the tuner always has. However, I have seen my vehicle pull no less than 35 dyno runs. (I add one modification at a time to determine if the results were positive or negetive and by how much. Also helps to reduce time pinpointing the root cause of a problem if all does not go as planned.) Normally the tuner would rapidly accelerate the vehicle from about 3200 RPM being careful not to allow it to downshift. Much easier to dyno in 3rd gear but HP is lower. Another issue - engine temp must be consistent between pulls. Heat soak will greatly reduce HP.
Old 5/29/05, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I seem to be doing everything wrong... Well, I'll talk to my dyno guy and see if we can get it straightened out. Thanks for the advice!

Eric