GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Attn: GMS CAI (410040 kit) recent customers

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/06, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attn: GMS CAI (410040 kit) recent customers

OK.. this thread is specifically targeted to recent GMS CAI (410040 kit) owners... NOT GMS bashers or the GMS anti-Christ. I like so many others in this forum are very intrigued with /interested in the GMS CAI no-tune solution. I'm waiting to see some dyno results posted from the STL Dyno Day this weekend. Now, to "One Mean Marine", "Stangmania", "Cavero", or other recent buyers of the GMS CAI kit, have you successfully resolved your quality control issues with Granatelli? (i.e., clamps too short, bad wiring harnesses/meters, hole alignment, etc). It would be nice to know that GMS is taking care of these issues and each new customer product malfunction. (as well as modifying their quality control to eliminate/minimize these product issues going forward). PLEASE, NO INPUT FROM "SKI"... don't need the forum moderator pulling the plug on another thread due to your continued ill-will posts.. start your own "misery loves company" thread. I'm here to gather as much user experience/knowledge (and vendor knowledge) as possible before making my purchase decision. Thanks.
Old 11/10/06, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the CAI for about a month. I removed it to go to the dealer for service. When I removed it the wire harness fell apart in my hand. I called Granatelli and they sent me a new one. I had no problems with their customer support.
Old 11/10/06, 11:17 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had mine on for a little over a month now, with no problems. As far as the clamps go, I did have to completely open them up and wrap them around the tubing, feed the loose end back into the screw-end, and tighten it that way, but they worked.

The only other minor inconvenience I had was with the heat shroud, specifically re-using the stock airbox bolt to hold it in place. The bolt wouldn't go completely through the nut, meaning the head of the bolt wouldn't tighten down on the heat shield to hold it tightly, but I just pulled the silver top-hat shaped guide/grommet/whatever it's called out of the stock box, flipped it upside down, and used that as a spacer for the bolt. Works great.

I'll have to check my harness again, make sure it's not disintegrating on me like others have seen, but I might have gotten a piece from before the bad parts showed up.
Old 11/10/06, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have had mine 2+ months. Mine arrived with the GMS label attached to the tube but it was upside down! The item functioned fine and no CEL.
I called them and they sent a new stick on label right away. Very responsive Customer Support. It took me a few minutes to pry the old one off but, I am glad I purchased this model. No complaints. I don't have a tuner but I will in the future. Performance exceded my expectations. I have not had any dyno runs.
Old 11/10/06, 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rfurley
I have had the CAI for about a month. I removed it to go to the dealer for service. When I removed it the wire harness fell apart in my hand. I called Granatelli and they sent me a new one. I had no problems with their customer support.
My wire harness fell apart as well when i removed mine. It was only on for 54 miles and 24hrs. I wonder if the underhood heat had weakened the plastic and bond.
Old 11/10/06, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

When I got my harness it was wrapped in heatshrink tubing, I haven't moved it since install, but it seemed pretty secure when I installed it. I'll be removing my whole system this weekend though to revert back to stock, going to set up a date so thedealership can look at some stuff, but I'll let you know if mine has any of the same problems, I've had mine since August and no problems.
Old 11/10/06, 12:43 PM

I have had mine for almost two months now and no complaints! I have had my car dynoed and although I'm not going to post the results just to be called a liar by certain individuals, I will say that my air fuel ratio was fine throughout the RPM range and the gentleman who dynoed the car said he would'nt have believed it could make that much power with no tune if he "had'nt seen it with his own eyes"! On a side note I had no installation problems other than the guide pin (I call it) that goes into the fender would'nt line up properly, but it did'nt seem to matter once I tightened everything down! Maybe I'm just lucky as I've had my car since April 22nd and have had 0 problems in 10,000 miles, my shaker 500 even works flawlessly! Just to clarify I installed this myself, then the day before the car was dynoed I returned it to stock, took it and the CAI to the dyno where they did a baseline run then installed the CAI and did two more pulls a half an hour apart!
Old 11/10/06, 12:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Machnu2
I have had mine for almost two months now and no complaints! I have had my car dynoed and although I'm not going to post the results just to be called a liar by certain individuals, I will say that my air fuel ratio was fine throughout the RPM range and the gentleman who dynoed the car said he would'nt have believed it could make that much power with no tune if he "had'nt seen it with his own eyes"! On a side note I had no installation problems other than the guide pin (I call it) that goes into the fender would'nt line up properly, but it did'nt seem to matter once I tightened everything down! Maybe I'm just lucky as I've had my car since April 22nd and have had 0 problems in 10,000 miles, my shaker 500 even works flawlessly! Just to clarify I installed this myself, then the day before the car was dynoed I returned it to stock, took it and the CAI to the dyno where they did a baseline run then installed the CAI and did two more pulls a half an hour apart!
Machnu2: glad to hear you've been so fortunate with your stang's mods.. now I'm curious: without posting your dyno (or even rwHP numbers), what was the rwHP increase between stock and your GMS CAI dyno pull?
Old 11/10/06, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I got mine the air box was broken...I received a new one almost the next day...Since they were on the "cheap" side and I so stated to JR, I believe (but don't know for sure) that they have since put out a more sturdy version....I also have the TBody and everything looks good and no problems so far. I don't intend to keep the system forever as I will eventually go a SC or Turbo but this is a great piece in the meantime. If I was not going to do one of these addons, I would have done the Doug/Bama thing because the tunes do add more functions than just the extra HP.
Old 11/10/06, 04:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have had mine for about 6 weeks, 1200 miles, with no troubles. A great improvement over stock, with a "seat of your pants" performance increase! A little tool knowledge required to install, but every add-on I have done so far required more work than the supplier stated (except MGW products)
Old 11/10/06, 05:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've had mine since late August. Absolutely zero problems. Install was simple(30-40 minutes max). I did have some problems with the clamps, however, once I finally realized that it would be easier to back them all the way out, it went on easy(Note this when installing). The only disappointment was that the polished tube was slighty pitted, however, JR explained that it was the nature of process... whatta-going-to-do? No one else has ever noticed, so no big deal.

Positives: Easy installation. It looks great. Noticable performance gains, to include: better throttle response, better acceleration, and better "top-end". Increased exhaust volume. Good customer service. Reasonable Price.

Negatives: Really none. "Clamps", but they do work, just remember to back them all the way out. Finish was not what I expected, but it's fine.

Conclusion: Awesome product. I highly recommend it!
Old 11/10/06, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had mine on the car for about a month now. I had the same problem with the clamps. They were very tight, I loosened them all the way out as well and it worked fine. I also have the metal box and had to leave everything loose until it was installed then tightened everything down. Since the install I have had absolutely no problems with the system and I would buy it again. No regrets and I love the power and the sound that it added.
Old 11/10/06, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have two questions:
  1. Is anyone getting any measured improvement in fuel mileage?
  2. For those that experience better throttle response, please explain.
I don't feel like my throttle response is poor on acceleration, my problem is the disconected feeling when trying to downshift. Sometimes I have to depress the pedal several times before I get any revs at all and by that time it's to late. This does not make for a smooth downshift. Improving that would be my main reason to go with a tune IMO. Otherwise I'm leaning towards the GMS unit but the jury is still out.
Old 11/10/06, 10:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have an auto tranny in mine, less throttle lag with the CAI. I won't call it instant response, but much better over stock. Gas milage may be a bit better if speed control on at 65mph...but why???? I push mine hard on a couple of 50mile one way trips each week, ave speed 80-85mph with 20-22mpg rate. Very acceptable. My F-150 aves about 12-14mpg on same trip.
Old 11/10/06, 11:06 PM
GT Member

Granatelli was very copereative on my issues with the faulty wiring harness and sent me a new one via ups as soon as i got off the phone with them! Truly A+ customer support! When i called them about the clamps being too small they asked me to read size on the side of the clamps and had their tech try to fit the exact same size clamps over the silicon sleeve and realized the were the wrong size so instead of waiting 4days for two 3 dollar clamps i went to local autoparts store and bought some to fit. The 80mm to 129mm size clamps are the perfect size for the silicone sleeve not much excess sticking out after tightening down. I'm still installing my cai this weekend at the dyno day with doug in st. louis using the stock maf. I will post results as soon as i get back. I will do a stock run with a bone stock 06 Gt auto only with FRRP Borla Stingers and then a run with the granatelli cai and dougs tune. Unfortunately i can't do a run with just the granatelli cai since i sent the bad plug back in to be replaced with a working one. Sorry guy's! I know people were wanting to see results of just adding the cai. But i'm excited i gotta get off here and get to bed so i can get up and drive 3hrs to st. louis tommorow and my dyno day isn't till sunday but i'm goin to meet and hang out with everyone tommorow. I will be takin pics of the event with my digital camera and hopefully get them posted by sunday night if i feel up too it! If not for sure by monday.
Old 11/11/06, 05:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by rfurley
Exactly what do you mean, "fell apart"? Thanks
Old 11/11/06, 09:42 AM

I've had the GMS CAI on my wife's daily driver 06GT for a month without a single problem. There's a deffinite power increase !!!

So far, it has proven to be a great mod to the car.
Old 11/11/06, 10:18 AM
Cobra R Member

I installed mine, and right away it felt stronger, sounded better, looked great, a little bit of a tight fit for all the components, but I think a great CAI, I used the jumper for like a week. Ran great and took it off when I got dougs tunes and put on the regular maf, now this thing is a beast, getting 2-3rd scratch with an auto. Tommorrow is the day for my dyno time so will post results asap. Have a great weekend all

Ended up with 259/283 hp/tq on a dynojet with an automatic.
I love my granatelli, but I am glad I had it tuned to the optimum a/f.
Old 11/11/06, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Better gas milage, it's a good theory, but I enjoy the power gain and play too much. Will let you know if I ever drive like I'm trying to get better milage.
Old 11/12/06, 07:18 PM

I have the GMS CAI and also found the hose clamp to be a little tight but other than that the install was painless. With the GMS 2.5" exhaust and their CAI I made 283 hp. Don't believe the naysayers, this thing works great without requiring a tune.

Quick Reply: Attn: GMS CAI (410040 kit) recent customers