GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

ARH Headers/H-Pipe/Stingers -> ARH Headers/H-Pipe/GTAs

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/07, 11:10 PM
JGT
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARH Headers/H-Pipe/Stingers -> ARH Headers/H-Pipe/GTAs

I recently installed American Racing Headers and an H-Pipe, to go along with my Borla Stingers. The headers made a really nice improvement in the exhaust sound, but I am starting to think it is really just too loud for my tastes. The headers, even with the cats, definitely turned up the volume quite a bit. Plus, I am getting trumpeting at 2500 RPMs. I didn't think I would with the cats, but I am.

I don't know how some of you guys do it. These cars don't even make that much power in lower RPMs, so I have to make all sorts of noise just to keep up with the minivan next to me. Having 3.73 gears doesn't help, since that only puts me in a higher RPM range for a given speed. It sounds like my car is working really hard just to keep up with other cars out on the road. I think I have finally tired of it. The drone was a concern for awhile, but I kind of just got used to it.

Anyway, it's been a wild ride, but I think I am tired of having a loud Mustang and ready to go back to something a little more subtle. Even with the headers, these S197s don't compare to older Mustangs, so why even pretend? Problem is, I don't want it to be TOO subtle. I have spent way to much money to end up with a stock sounding exhaust.

It seems a lot of people are real satisfied with the GTAs, even though many agree it is not that much louder or deeper than stock. I am hoping with my headers, they will sound even better, but sometimes mufflers can be unpredictable as to how they respond to the additional flow. Will the GTAs sound raspy with the longtubes? Will they cover up all the wonderful sounds that I uncapped by adding the longtubes? Anyone have any personal experience, especially in comparison to the Stingers?
Old 7/16/07, 10:11 AM
GT Member

add resonators, I have the same setup. It will take away most of the drone but keep that loud deep rumble.
Old 7/16/07, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by chabbz182
add resonators, I have the same setup. It will take away most of the drone but keep that loud deep rumble.
+1 ^^^
Old 7/16/07, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

any vids?
Old 7/16/07, 11:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry you sound that way. For me, I would NEVER go back to a stock sounding exhaust, after hearing my car with the AR L/Ts and Stingers. I have gotten so many compliments at shows, and turned heads with my exhaust. Now, I won't lie, it is very loud (I pulled 104 dbs at a show), but I wanted something that sounded threatening and I have it. Let me ask you, when you are cruising in 5th on the highway, hows the sound? Is it still intolerable? I have cats with an H-pipe, and in 5th, its very mellow. When I open her up, watch out, lol! I have very little trumpeting in my car. I have the drone, but its at the 1,700 to 2,000 RPM mark with all Borlas have, but do not mind it. Plus, the power I gained from the tune and the headers is just icing on the cake!!
Old 7/16/07, 12:34 PM
GT Member

I don't know about him but it's very tolerable in 5th gear. It's hard to describe how the resonators tone it down without hearing it for yourself. I have removable cats so sometimes i'll cat it if I want to lower the volume and remove them to blow people away.
Old 7/16/07, 12:35 PM
GT Member

thats it? 104 decibles? try it without the cats its even louder.
Old 7/16/07, 02:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know how you feel.... I have been through many mufflers and had my cats off for a while I loved the sound but I got sic of all the noise so now I just have the stingers with a prochamber and stock cats and I am definantly satisfied with the volume and tone. It's so nice actually being able to have a conversation while driving but anyways I think those headers and the gtas would be a good combo. I want some clips
Old 7/16/07, 03:45 PM
GT Member

I guess if you want a wimpy sound exhaust then go with the Gtas. The guy that started the thread is talking about with the headers. If you added headers to your prochamber setup it would be alot louder.
Old 7/16/07, 04:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

thats it? 104 decibles? try it without the cats its even louder.
Buddy, the car was RED HOT (you know the exhaust is MUCH louder when cold, vs really warmed up), the day was close to 100 degrees, and I have cats, so its fully emissions legal in my state. I'll take that number any day. Heck, I was the same db level as a '32 hotrod with open headers!
Old 7/16/07, 09:46 PM
GT Member

im not debating the legality of emissions here I'm just saying that if you want it really really loud to take of the cats.
Old 7/17/07, 03:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

im not debating the legality of emissions here I'm just saying that if you want it really really loud to take of the cats.
And I don't want it stupid loud and not be legal in my state, thats my point!! I wanted it loud and aggressive, but not off the wall! I have the sound I wanted, it happens to have cats, and I'm thrilled with how it sounds. Plus, most people at shows tell me after they hear my car, its nice, loud, but not obnoxious (a.k.a exhaust w/o cats).