GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/07, 02:55 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?

I'm shipping the new Coast Driveline & Gear aluminum driveshafts for the 05-07 Mustang GT, and I wanted to get the consensus of what people think. These guys claim 15RWHP with the piece, and it looks like it's a great quality add on. They made this thing so that you can bolt it on underneath the car in your driveway if you wanted to in about 40 minutes. It works with all mustangs and is a DIRECT bolt-on for those with stock vehicles or standard suspension mods, and VERY little modification (about 5 minutes worth of work) is neccessary on EXTREMELY lowered 3+ inches applications.

This thing is only 17 pounds rather than stock which I believe is 39lbs. It's a T6061 Aluminum with heavy duty Dana Spicer 1330 U-Joints and it can handle serious power! These have been tested up to 135 mph, and the shifter is smooth as can be!!!

The price on them is $569 plus freight, and they are seriously the nicest driveshafts I've seen. These things fit PERFECT. Their machine cuts them to 0 precision! And they're balanced to within 1/8 of a gram!
  • Fits 2005-2007 (Gen-5 Mustangs)
  • Constructed of tough, lightweight T6061 Aluminum
  • Simple, direct bolt-on installation, with supplied adapter plate and included factory bolts
  • Half the weight, compared to the factory steel shaft
  • Dana Spicer 1330-series u-joints
  • Fully balanced and rebuildable

Old 2/2/07, 03:12 PM
GT Member

looks like a nice piece.

why did Ford go with a 2 piece driveshaft in the first place?
Old 2/2/07, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mtchstng
looks like a nice piece.

why did Ford go with a 2 piece driveshaft in the first place?
I believe it's because automatics have vibration issues with a one piece driveshaft.
Old 2/2/07, 03:24 PM
3rd Times A Charm

A lightweight Aluminum Driveshaft is a great mod to get! It lowers your rotational weight, therefor freeing up some HP lost in the stock driveline.

The modifications that would be needed is an adjustment in the pinion angle to avoid making contact with the tunnel. You should set your angle to -3*. This can be done with an Adjustable UCA or Adjustable LCA's.

I think that's a great looking shaft, and a really good price.

Is this a 4" shaft? Have you verified that the same shaft will work on both an auto and a manual? Have you confirmed that this shaft will also work with all shifters?

You may want to check on these known issues with other shafts to get your customers exactly what they are looking for...the first time.

Good luck, and again, great product and a great price!
Old 2/2/07, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a nice unit! But, I already have one.

BTW, the stock shaft is a hefty 48lbs!
Old 2/2/07, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by S197 GT
A lightweight Aluminum Driveshaft is a great mod to get! It lowers your rotational weight, therefor freeing up some HP lost in the stock driveline.

The modifications that would be needed is an adjustment in the pinion angle to avoid making contact with the tunnel. You should set your angle to -3*. This can be done with an Adjustable UCA or Adjustable LCA's.

I think that's a great looking shaft, and a really good price.

Is this a 4" shaft? Have you verified that the same shaft will work on both an auto and a manual? Have you confirmed that this shaft will also work with all shifters?

You may want to check on these known issues with other shafts to get your customers exactly what they are looking for...the first time.

Good luck, and again, great product and a great price!
Yes this is a full 4" shaft all the way through. This has been tested on a manual car, and will be confirmed on the Automatics as well as on GT500's this upcoming week!!! This will work with all shifters, because it accepts the stock flange up front. There is no modifying anything, it's a direct bolt in right where the factory one bolted up!!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/2/07, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice looking piece. Glad to see some more competition to start driving down the price. I know this is a great mod to have as I have had them on other stangs. But I am a cheap b*****d so I will still wait for the price to get in the $400 range which I am sure will happen in a year or so. It's already come down 200 bills in a year.
Scott
Old 2/2/07, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Looks like a nice unit! But, I already have one.

BTW, the stock shaft is a hefty 48lbs!
You have your stock one laying around... right?? I thought I read somewhere the stocker weighs in as much a 57 lbs. Put that puppy on a scale for us Don.
Scott
Old 2/2/07, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor

These are actually about as low as they're going to get. With the price of R&D, tooling, and the price of 6061 in any form other than a sheet is getting quite expensive. Then you have This is probably as low as it gets, unfortunately. On top of that you have the parts cost from Dana Spicer, the boots, etc. I think 575 is fair, IMO

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/2/07, 04:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
These are actually about as low as they're going to get. With the price of R&D, tooling, and the price of 6061 in any form other than a sheet is getting quite expensive. Then you have This is probably as low as it gets, unfortunately. On top of that you have the parts cost from Dana Spicer, the boots, etc. I think 575 is fair, IMO

CR
Tillman Speed
Well... I am plant manager for a tool and die shop and I can buy that 6061-T6 tubing for around $60 in small quanities. I figure there is no more than $125.00 in total materials in that driveshaft. Materials are usually 1/3 the cost of the final product for most things produced in this country. Powerhouse started selling theirs for $799.00 if memory serves correctly. Look at it now a year later. Lets revisited this thread in a year to see where the price is. Please... don't get me wrong Tillman. It's a great price TODAY. Remember what the 1st 05 Mustangs were selling for verses today? We'll see.
Scott
Old 2/2/07, 05:09 PM
Former Vendor

Oh I'm not arguing with you, there's a profit. But you have to factor in time, R&D, packaging, electric bill, employee health benefits.

They probably have about $300 dollars into these things, with all factors included.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/2/07, 06:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
I am wiping the drool away right now...

Nice... nice... nice...

Too bad something like this will have to wait until around tax season...
Old 2/2/07, 06:22 PM
GT Member

You've got to be kidding me! I just ordered and installed a PH drive shaft (which I love by the way) but I could have saved a hundred dollars?

Figures!

Nice deal though.
Old 2/2/07, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Somebody dyno with and without one of these things and let's see some numbers. Seems like a great idea and will free up some power, but really someone prove how much.
Old 2/2/07, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
This will work with all shifters, because it accepts the stock flange up front. There is no modifying anything, it's a direct bolt in right where the factory one bolted up!!

CR
Tillman Speed
doesn't the PowerHouse unit accept the stock flange up front, too?
Old 2/2/07, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
what kind of hp can it handle I guess the question should be how much tq can it handle
Old 2/2/07, 08:01 PM
Cam Tease

900? A **** load.
Old 2/2/07, 08:08 PM
Former Vendor

It was on a car that I know of as a prototype last week making 560rwhp. I think it could handle a HELL of alot more than that...

It's so much nicer than the old FRPP ones for the Foxbody's, etc. This piece when we first got it in last week I thought it was too nice to install on a car.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/2/07, 08:11 PM
Former Vendor

Yes, the powerhouse is a direct replacement, and uses the stock pinion flange. I think this unit's nicer, personally. Not knocking the powerhouse stuff... its a great product as well. I'm just saying it doesn't get much better than this Coast Gear one.
Old 2/2/07, 08:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Now if say on my 07 manual tranny if I did swap, do you think that a service tech would have anything to say about that it is not a factory part & all ? I am very interested , but not if there is a risk of a warrenty denial. Also you install does that mean you will fly & or drive to BC Canada to do this LOL I'm kidding .
It's the uncertanties in life that make ones decissions difficult !

Quick Reply: Anyone like aluminum driveshafts?