GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone know who can refurbish this?

Search this Thread

Old 8/10/10, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know who can refurbish this?

Hi all

I bought a GMS Twin 62mm Aluminum Throttle Body with spacer from American Muscle (http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-20...y-natural.html). I ended up not wanting and returned it. It was repackaged carefully in the original box and sent back to American Muscle. They contacted me saying it was damaged and that it couldn't be returned. The damage was the throttle actuator spring and retaining nut were broken off of the throttle body. They also claimed that it was not damaged in shipping.... I contacted UPS (who shipped it) to have it inspected and they told me the original boxing was not per their boxing standards and said it most likely was damaged in shipping due to the thinness and softness of the box. I am certain it was not damaged when it left me but whatever.

So I asked AM who could fix it and they sent me to GMS. I called GMS and they said that the TB itself was a FORD GT500 TB and not something they can do. Only the spacer is actually made by GMS. So I called AM back and asked for a Ford parts contact. I called that number and the Ford tech was convinced that it was a GMS TB and not Ford! I asked him if I could email him pictures because Ford is stamped right on the TB. I got his email and have since emailed 3 times and left several voice mails with no call back. This has been over a 2 month period....very disappointing.

SO I now have this TB that I'd like to fix and resell. Does any body know what it would take to do that? I've attached images of the TB, spacer and damage.

I appreciate your time
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know who can refurbish this?-tb1.jpg   Anyone know who can refurbish this?-tb2.jpg   Anyone know who can refurbish this?-tb3.jpg   Anyone know who can refurbish this?-tb4.jpg   Anyone know who can refurbish this?-tb5.jpg  

Old 8/10/10, 10:08 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talk to your local dealer and see if those parts are available for purchase. They may only be part of the TB assembly but if you get lucky they will have separate numbers. Then use an easy out to back out the broken part of the nut and install the new one. This is the best I can suggest.
Old 8/11/10, 06:39 PM

You wont find that part at your local dealer, its sold with as an entire throttle body or nothing. That is the Ford GT500 TB just the holes are enlongated to work with the spacer and such. I have a stock throttle body here that I can take the plug out of and install in that one. I'll have to get the old threaded portion out of that one first though.

Just let me know if I can help. If you're willing to cover shipping to and from me then I'll gladly do it for nothing. It wont take 10 minutes tops I'm sure..

Chip...
Old 8/13/10, 09:55 PM

Hi guys and thanks for the comments.

Chip, if you are willing to do that, it would be awesome. I can defintely send it if you are willing and would be happy to pay for shipping or labor. Is there any testing to ensure that the TB fix worked or is it not that complicated?

Thanks!
Old 11/16/10, 08:46 AM

Just posting an update on this. I sent the damaged TB to Chip at Diablo. After fitting it into his busy schedule, he repaired the unit and send the TB back. In case anyone is interested in it, its up on ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT
Sorry for the shameless plug...

I really wanted to comment on Chip. What a great guy! I really felt like I was in a pinch on this and it seemed I couldn't get anyone to help. It would have been a huge loss if I weren't not able to get it repaired. Chip stepped up and helped me. It was great dealing with him and his communication was excellent. When all was said and done, I have a working TB again. I would recommend Chip and Diable to anyone....and I certainly will be going to him when its financially feasible to get a tuner and tune for my GT500. THANK YOU CHIP!