GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone have aftermarket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/08, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have aftermarket seats?

One of my biggest pet peeves about my GT is that the seats have almost no lateral support. I'm no canyon carver, but I do like to go for a "spirited" drive every now and then and the seats always leave me sliding side to side...so I've been seriously considering some aftermarket seats. I am a big fan of RECARO seats, but wanted to see what else might be out there and if anyone has any experience putting them in an S197.

Thanks!

Kris
Old 1/4/08, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A while back somebody replaced their stock red leather seats with these in red:
http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_street.asp?id=196

It looked very good
Old 1/4/08, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow...for $1700 I'd hope they look good! Haha...

Very nice, but probably a bit too pricey. I know Corbeaus are pretty nice and good bang for the buck, but not sure if anyone's running them in their '05+.
Old 1/4/08, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

I'm wondering how anybody would be able to replace the seats in a car equipped with the side airbags since they became standared equipment in the 2008's with a non-airbag equipped seat, especially since it is against the law to deactivate a safety device.
Old 1/4/08, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KrisHorton

Very nice, but probably a bit too pricey. I know Corbeaus are pretty nice and good bang for the buck, but not sure if anyone's running them in their '05+.
Are the Corbeaus leather? I am guessing that is what is making the other ones so expencive. I think Spearco offers a similar style but in cloth which would be just as kickass and probably a few hundred less expencive.
Old 1/4/08, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

What bout the Jegs seats that are always in MM&FF Advertisments that are fairly cheap but look nice
Old 1/4/08, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
What bout the Jegs seats that are always in MM&FF Advertisments that are fairly cheap but look nice

Old 1/4/08, 10:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
Maybe you need a refresher course...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...2&autoview=sku
Old 1/4/08, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lodom
...especially since it is against the law to deactivate a safety device.
I think the law applies only to the required standard safety items, which would include only the front airbags. Side airbags, curtains, and all other types, I believe are still considered "supplemental" safety features. So you can deactivate them...although I always like to follow the maxim that my life is worth more than a fancy new seat, so I wouldn't.
Old 1/5/08, 02:30 AM
Bullitt Member

JBailer's running them. Here's his CarDomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396824
Old 1/5/08, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Maybe you need a refresher course...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...2&autoview=sku

Please dont put those in in new car, or ill have to do this
Old 1/5/08, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

hah Sure thing guy
Old 1/5/08, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

One of my biggest pet peeves about my GT is that the seats have almost no lateral support. I'm no canyon carver, but I do like to go for a "spirited" drive every now and then and the seats always leave me sliding side to side...so I've been seriously considering some aftermarket seats. I am a big fan of RECARO seats, but wanted to see what else might be out there and if anyone has any experience putting them in an S197.

Thanks!

Kris
Take your pick from any of these but make sure 05gt approves them first

http://treperformance.com/c-184-corbeau-seats.html
Old 1/5/08, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

The problem with buying seats is that they are seldom available locally which means you can't try them out unless you know someone that has seats. appearance means almost nothing as far as comfort is concerned. I once called Summitt to inquire about their seats. Surpisingly the salesman said they were not very comfortable and would not recommend them. I was at a race last year and a vendor had Sparcos on display. I sat in every one and they were the most miserable things I'd ever seen. I don't remember if they had Milanos but there were at least 8 different models and I hated all of them. The bottom line is I would not buy a seat without first trying it. One company you might contact is Hunsaker Racing. They are not very far from you.
Old 1/5/08, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually it's Hunsakersports.com and they are in Ventura. Probably worth a drive.
Old 1/6/08, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info on Hunsaker. Their seats look to be a little on the cheap side, yet comfortable. I'll have to check them out. The money I save by buying those I could put towards upholstering them with some matching leather.
Old 1/6/08, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info on Hunsaker. Their seats look to be a little on the cheap side, yet comfortable. I'll have to check them out. The money I save by buying those I could put towards upholstering them with some matching leather.
The vinyl looks crappy but the cloth looks pretty good. It's too bad they are only available in black. Probably helps keep the cost down.
Old 1/6/08, 05:30 PM
V6 Member

i have the same problem..i was never really impressed w/ the seats since i got my car new in 6/07..i have the leather and you do slide around a lot..i thought of changing seats..but it seems like a ^&%$#@pain..and$$$..anyway i tried the g lock on my seatbelt..works like a charm..co who makes it,is top notch..after i had it a couple of mo's the spring popped off..i emailed the co on a sat..i got an answer w/in 2hrs..saying they sent a replacement unit that sat sent priority..wow i got it that mon..all they asked me was to send the unit back and they included a prepaid return envelope..they had stated these units should never fail..good co $40 for the g lock..worth every penny
Old 1/6/08, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I don’t know your “budget” but throwing the Recaro name out there gives me an idea. Take a look at these. I’ve sat in them in a friends M5 and love them. Worth every penny IMO.

http://www.cobraseats.com/misano.htm
Old 1/6/08, 08:24 PM
Cobra Member

WOW...Red seats looks sick in that black interior

Good find! Although I bet they cost a fortune

Quick Reply: Anyone have aftermarket seats?