GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anybody running Stinger's with an O/R X-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/07, 07:54 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody running Stinger's with an O/R X-pipe?

I am currently running MAC axlebacks with a Bassani catalytic X. I just picked up a set of Stingers and was thinking that since they are a flow-through type muffler that the cats would no longer be needed to help muffle the rasp of the chambered muffler. However, before I go through the ***-pain of converting my x-pipe to catless I figured I'd ask for opinions; good or bad. Let me know what ya'll think.
Old 6/7/07, 08:22 AM
V6 Member

I have Borla Stingers mated to Hooker long tubes and o/r x on my Mach. There is some rasp above 4000. I am looking for an o/r h or prochamber to see if it quiets some of raspiness.

When I was running the stock manifolds and Bassani catted x, I didn't notice much rasp at all. Axlebacks may sound a bit different from the catback but I would image you would have similar results.
Old 6/7/07, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Quikstang, How do the Macs and Bassani catted x-pipe sound? Do you have any soundclips or videos. I'm gonna be ordering the Bassani x for my next mod and I have the Macs already on. Sorry for going off topic just wondering how it sounds together.
Old 6/7/07, 12:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gelstang06
Hey Quikstang, How do the Macs and Bassani catted x-pipe sound? Do you have any soundclips or videos. I'm gonna be ordering the Bassani x for my next mod and I have the Macs already on. Sorry for going off topic just wondering how it sounds together.
Well, it's not that I dislike the sound I guess I just get a little bored. There is a raspy-twang that happems at times with the MAC's but nothing too obtrusive. As for the video clips, I don't have anything as of yet but I can certainly try to capture a few for you this weekend.
Old 6/7/07, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by QuikStang
I am currently running MAC axlebacks with a Bassani catalytic X. I just picked up a set of Stingers and was thinking that since they are a flow-through type muffler that the cats would no longer be needed to help muffle the rasp of the chambered muffler. However, before I go through the ***-pain of converting my x-pipe to catless I figured I'd ask for opinions; good or bad. Let me know what ya'll think.
I have my stingers paired with a bassani x-pipe w/ comp cats and I think it sounds great , Offroad pipes will probably only make it a little louder, which is good to.
Old 6/7/07, 04:24 PM

Cool, I appreciate you getting back to me. I have one more question basicly the major deciding factor on me buying the x-pipe. Do the macs get noticably louder or does it only add rasp and stay somewhat the same level of loudness? I'm looking to make the exhaust louder without going catless. That would be really awesome if you could get clips
Old 6/7/07, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gelstang06
Cool, I appreciate you getting back to me. I have one more question basicly the major deciding factor on me buying the x-pipe. Do the macs get noticably louder or does it only add rasp and stay somewhat the same level of loudness? I'm looking to make the exhaust louder without going catless. That would be really awesome if you could get clips
I have always run o/r pipes on my previous cars. In fact, I ran no cats and flowmasters on my 03 Cobra and it was perfect, so I figured when I first bought this car that I would do the same. So, I installed the o/r X and MAC axlebacks and was horrified as to how loud it was. I quickly removed the catless pipe and threw in the catted X. I have been pretty happy ever since. Although, I am getting a little bored and need to spend some more money on muffler. Who knows, I may end up putting the MAC's back on...we'll see.
Old 6/7/07, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

This weekend I should have the Race pipes installed and I will get videos up soon after...
Old 6/8/07, 04:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
This weekend I should have the Race pipes installed and I will get videos up soon after...
Race Pipes? How do the Stingers/X-Pipe sound that you have now?
Old 6/9/07, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Yea Bassani and SLP both make modular x pipes, of a 3 piece design. You can either run hiflo cats with the x pipe crossover, or you can put in the race pipes, which are just pieces of round tubing which is like running an o/r X.

I love it with the HiFlos right now, pretty nice growl when daily driving then it really roars when you get on it. Im putting together a good video right now, but Windows Media Player keeps giving these weird Error messages and won't let me run back the video - Ill keep you posted.
Old 6/9/07, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
review my old thread, there are clips of the borlas with the bassani x with both cats and no cats installed

link: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ht=borla+corsa
Old 6/9/07, 02:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
review my old thread, there are clips of the borlas with the bassani x with both cats and no cats installed

I was wondering if you were going to jump in on this ...I may also tell you guys Tom281 is running resonators to eliminate some of the drone. I can tell you that from following him down the highway it sure has a sweeeeettt!!!! sound to it. He says they have knock the drone down a bunch!!!
Scott
Old 6/9/07, 07:09 PM
V6 Member

Yea Bassani and SLP both make modular x pipes, of a 3 piece design. You can either run hiflo cats with the x pipe crossover, or you can put in the race pipes, which are just pieces of round tubing which is like running an o/r X.

I love it with the HiFlos right now, pretty nice growl when daily driving then it really roars when you get on it. Im putting together a good video right now, but Windows Media Player keeps giving these weird Error messages and won't let me run back the video - Ill keep you posted.
Ahhh....I see. I have the same Bassani modular-X with the cats currently installed. I look foward to the vid.

Dang Tom....that was some impressive reading. It's people like you who take the time to do stuff like that that make forums like this worth while. Thanks for the link and all the knuckle busting.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I was wondering if you were going to jump in on this ...I may also tell you guys Tom281 is running resonators to eliminate some of the drone. I can tell you that from following him down the highway it sure has a sweeeeettt!!!! sound to it. He says they have knock the drone down a bunch!!!
Scott
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to really enjoy the Borla's. Although, you mentioned the need for resonators, is that in addition to the cats?
Old 6/9/07, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

I ended up not even getting to the Race Pipe install...My moms Steeda springs came for her CS/GT and a friend and I ended up installing them tonight. Sorry!
Old 6/10/07, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by QuikStang
Ahhh....I see. I have the same Bassani modular-X with the cats currently installed. I look foward to the vid.

Dang Tom....that was some impressive reading. It's people like you who take the time to do stuff like that that make forums like this worth while. Thanks for the link and all the knuckle busting.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to really enjoy the Borla's. Although, you mentioned the need for resonators, is that in addition to the cats?

Hey Mike,
The reason for the resonators is the drone that is created by the Borla's They do sound awesome but the drone can be pretty bad. If I were you I would just get the Borla's and see what you think. The drone doesn't bother some guys. You can always get the resonators later if it bothers you. They are really cheap.
Scott
Old 6/10/07, 10:10 AM
V6 Member

I ended up not even getting to the Race Pipe install...My moms Steeda springs came for her CS/GT and a friend and I ended up installing them tonight. Sorry!
NP. That's cool as hell your Mom has a CS and is getting mod-happy!

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Mike,
The reason for the resonators is the drone that is created by the Borla's They do sound awesome but the drone can be pretty bad. If I were you I would just get the Borla's and see what you think. The drone doesn't bother some guys. You can always get the resonators later if it bothers you. They are really cheap.
Scott
Thanks Scott. I'll take that advice. Btw, who make the resonators and where do most people weld them in?
Old 6/10/07, 01:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have Dynomax resonators, and have them welded in on the over-axle pipes after the H pipe.

They sound great with Borlas and an offroad H pipe.

Oh, thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it.
Old 6/11/07, 05:22 AM
V6 Member

I have Dynomax resonators, and have them welded in on the over-axle pipes after the H pipe.

They sound great with Borlas and an offroad H pipe.

Oh, thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it.
Hey Tom, do you think a high flow cat would effect the same results as those Dynomax resonators?
Old 6/11/07, 06:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Bassani catted X with Borlas had some drone- not much, but some. In comparison to the offroad H with resonators, there is no drone. Sound-wise between the two, its hard to compare them. The catted X sounded really good, racy but yet refined if that makes sense. The offroad H with resonators sounds more old school, more like a late '60s Mustang- deep and muscular. I'd be happy with either one, mainly I went the way I did because I didn't want to run cats and around here there is no emissions checks.
Old 6/11/07, 06:53 AM
V6 Member

Cool...thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Anybody running Stinger's with an O/R X-pipe?