Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi All,

Yet another way for a rookie to learn.
What do you regret doing/what disappointed you
and why.

Old 1/27/06, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I put 20's on mine and although I love the look, they are a bit heavy.

If I could do it again I would go no larger than an 18in wheel.

Also at the time I got my intake and tuner the SCT xcal2 wasn't out yet, so I didn't have the option at the time. If it were however, I would've went that route. There are just more helpfull and friendly SCT tuners on this site than there are for the diablosport predator.
SCT is the way to go if you're looking for a good "canned tune".

Other than that, I've been happy with everything I done so far
Old 1/28/06, 08:27 AM
3rd Times A Charm

I would have focused more on Performance mods than Exterior mods and Engine Compartment mods.
Old 1/28/06, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

BFG 275/35R18 Drag Radials with the new treat pattern. :notnice:

In fairness to BFG, it was me that made the mistake, not them. I did not pay any attention to a very small sentence in the description of the tire that was talking about how great the new tire was. The sentence ended with "..., especially on FWD imports."

When I went to the track, the tire was better than the stock tires, but not much. Any time I tried to drop the pressure below about 25 psi, I would lose the center of the tread. You could see it in the feather pattern after a burn-out. The guys with the old style pattern on 17" wheels (275/40R17) were getting good feathering across the entire tread width with the tire pressure down at 18 psi.

The only reason I can come up with for the difference is 1.) Shorter side wall (40 series vs. 35) and 2.) Stiffer sidewall to support weight of FWD cars.

That was an $800 lesson.

The Boss Hog
Old 1/28/06, 09:16 AM
RPM
GT Member

Off road H-pipe. For me, it was just too loud and for the minimal performance gain not worth it. The car was embarrising to drive. Otherwise, springs, intake, tuner, shifter block and eh2o

Anyone have regrets with 4.10 gears?
Old 1/28/06, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Mild Regret - Went with the Magnaflow axlebacks. Love the sound, would have liked them to be a "wee bit louder". Of course at the time, almost a year ago, there was less to choose from. On the big plus side, everything else I done, I would do again - especially using Doug @ Bama
Old 1/28/06, 11:04 AM
GT Member

The K&N filter was a waste of mony. They called it CAI. What a Joke Air was to hot in engine compartment. Filter was as hot as engine along with the air . With the stock air box with a high flow filter there was no heat at all in airbox it is already a CAI. Look on your car now with the standard airbox and the air intake is from inside the fenderwell where there is no heat. Sure the k&n looked cooler but looks ain't everything. Gas mileage and performnce was betterr with out k&n I also had a xcal2 tune at the time. Now I have only the roush tune that they flashed with the s/c
Old 1/28/06, 11:15 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
flowmasters, too quiet!
Old 1/28/06, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

No regrets..... The H was too loud with SLPs, but now I just have to find another combo that works. No regrets with the gears at all.
Old 1/28/06, 11:44 AM

Interesting comment about the K&N Aircharger... I installed mine w/out a tune and got better gas mileage right away. Since then I've tuned it to 93 added the axlebacks and reset the battery and everything is running much better than before.

My only regret is WHY I got new rims... after I busted one on a curb and had to replace the front subframe. That was an extra $600-800 for a "mod"
Old 1/28/06, 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Only regret was the vinyl rear blackout. Did not like the quality of the appearance. Fortunately, it only cost $20; that's why I tried it. Now I've decided to go with the real thing from SilverHorseRacing (honeycomb panel).
Old 1/28/06, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RPM@January 28, 2006, 10:19 AM
Off road H-pipe. For me, it was just too loud and for the minimal performance gain not worth it. The car was embarrising to drive. Otherwise, springs, intake, tuner, shifter block and eh2o

How was it embarrassing? What mufflers did you have with it? :scratch:
Old 1/28/06, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by S197 GT@January 28, 2006, 9:30 AM
I would have focused more on Performance mods than Exterior mods and Engine Compartment mods.

I have to agree with that!
Old 1/28/06, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Exhaust mod reqrets... First went with the Flowmaster axlebacks, too quiet... :notnice: At the advise of a friend, I replaced the factory H pipe with an X pipe, too raspy... :notnice: Changed out the Flowmasters with straight pipe and Ford Racing 4" tips, looks great, a lot louder and still too raspy... :notnice: Finally, replaced the X pipe with a Mac Prochamber (factory cats), sounds much better... a little throatier but quieter... I give up... Don't think I'll ever get the sound I want out of her...
Old 1/28/06, 02:45 PM
RPM
GT Member

Originally posted by eromzek@January 28, 2006, 2:01 PM
How was it embarrassing? What mufflers did you have with it? :scratch:
I was using the stock mufflers. Embarrassing... sounded cheap. I never did experiment with loads of exhaust options so maybe something out these would sound good.... to me... given enough time & money.
Old 1/28/06, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by u-got-stang@January 28, 2006, 3:00 PM
Exhaust mod reqrets... First went with the Flowmaster axlebacks, too quiet... :notnice: At the advise of a friend, I replaced the factory H pipe with an X pipe, too raspy... :notnice: Changed out the Flowmasters with straight pipe and Ford Racing 4" tips, looks great, a lot louder and still too raspy... :notnice: Finally, replaced the X pipe with a Mac Prochamber (factory cats), sounds much better... a little throatier but quieter... I give up... Don't think I'll ever get the sound I want out of her...

Borla Catbacks---problem solved.....
Old 1/28/06, 03:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally posted by u-got-stang@January 28, 2006, 1:00 PM
Were your straight pipes the same as slp lm's because I have prochamber with slp's and it sound's perfect!
Old 1/28/06, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RPM@January 28, 2006, 2:48 PM
I was using the stock mufflers. Embarrassing... sounded cheap. I never did experiment with loads of exhaust options so maybe something out these would sound good.... to me... given enough time & money.
yeah, i put my stock mufflers back on with the off road H, and darn straight it was embarassing. They came off seconds later. :shock:

SLP Loudmouths have the best sounds, in my humble opinion. I just wanted something a BIT louder. I think Bassani X with cats is next for me.
Old 1/28/06, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

i researched the heck out of every mod ive made, and am VERY happy with every single one of them.

the only thing i regret, well 2 things, have to do with driving the car and self control:
1) i would not of put 30,000 miles on it in the first year of ownership, though it was worth it for the enjoyment i got
2) i would not of ever power-shifted except at the track, cuz i blew out my rear end and now the "fixed" rear vibrates badly when i let off the gas, and is embarassing to take people for rides in it (though they are usually too scared from gettin pinned in their seat to notice)
Old 1/28/06, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No regrets to date. Other than I can't seem to get the money I need to do what I want fast enough!!!!
Scott

Quick Reply: Any Regrets?