GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any not using aftermarket sway bars but do occasional open tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/13, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Any not using aftermarket sway bars but do occasional open tracking?

Just wondering if any of you do some weekend / occasional road racing / tracking with your 05-09 Mustang GT without aftermarket sway bars. I am going to order the following pretty soon. I am on a limited budget but focus is on bang for your buck, mostly daily driver car to handle better in corners, less body roll but not too harsh.
1.Koni SRT shocks.
2.Steeda Sport springs or BMR springs.
3.BMR camber bolts.
4.Ford GT500 strut mounts.
5.BMR adjustable panhard bar.
6.BMR relocation brackets (maybe).
Total setup will set me back, $1075.00.
I have been told by various people to skip the aftermarket sway bars for my situation, since it is not a dedicated track car and I am not going to do autocross. Thanks, Ger.
Old 9/20/13, 10:06 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Brake, Suspension, and Tires are what you are going to need, in that order.
Old 9/26/13, 10:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I track my car a good bit and if I were starting all over again I would get:
Brakes (at least good Hawk pads that can handle more heat)
Koni Shocks (I have srt because I couldn't afford adj at the time but I love them)
Steeda Sport Springs (My Ultralites are great but I'd go with sports had to do over again. I've driven cars with sports and I think they are stightly better.)
Steeda HD Strut Mounts (you won't need the camber bolts then. you also can easily change between track and street camber.)
Adjustable Panhard rod (Steeda, BMR, whatever gets the rear centered from the spring change. I have the steeda one but bmr makes good one too so whatevers cheaper)

Start there and you will like what you get. Just warning you though, it's only a matter of time before you want bars. Once you get a good dose of understeer you'll be throwing your wallet down for better balance.

Last edited by ryan1112; 9/26/13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 9/30/13, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2007 Saleen... so it came with upgraded shocks, springs, sway bars, and brakes. The biggest difference I saw was when I installed a Watts Link, and bought some Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. (Must be the Super Sports... not just Pilot Sports). It was hard to tell what made the biggest difference since I did the tires and watts link at the same time, but it definitely helped my lap times in a parking lot autocross. I'd recommend a Watts Link with your suspension if you had the money, but it would basically blow your budget if you only have about $1k to spend.

Since you are starting from scratch, I'd agree.... do brakes first, then suspension, then tires.

By the way, I have my Saleen shocks, struts, and springs for sale... with the latest GT500 strut mounts, and I have Boss mustang front and rear sway bars for sale too with the revised end links.

If you want to work out a deal PM me.

Last edited by 408Stang; 9/30/13 at 11:10 PM.