GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any How-To on Installing SS Brake Lines ?

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/07, 07:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any How-To on Installing SS Brake Lines ?

I have puchased some Earl's SS Brake Lines for my 05 GT as I do some track days now and then. I haven't received them yet but I was wondering if anybody had some tips on installing them.

Are these products necessary/recommended when installing them or just some marketing crap:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...4846476+400041

Is there any instructions on replacing brake lines in the Ford manuals. If so, does anybody have a pdf copy ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Old 7/17/07, 06:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do not need any of those products. Those products are for making your own An Fitting Stainless Braided hoses for fluid transfer. The brake lines are complete and ready to install.

Richard
Old 7/17/07, 07:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just a quick note on the lines. I just installed them about 3 weeks ago, no problems but the lines were marked wrong. Lefts were rights and rights were lefts. Just look at them before installing. All hardware came with them as well.
Old 7/17/07, 07:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mine were marked incorrectly as well. It's an easy job. Make sure to have a buddy on hand in order to bleed the brakes. I just did mine and used Valvoline Synthetic fluid. The OEM fluid came out pretty nasty looking
Old 8/17/07, 04:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm purchasing these as well--does anyone have an EDU on the installation?
Old 8/17/07, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Mine were marked incorrectly as well. It's an easy job. Make sure to have a buddy on hand in order to bleed the brakes. I just did mine and used Valvoline Synthetic fluid. The OEM fluid came out pretty nasty looking

Procedure? Pics?

I've never bled brakes or played w/ the lines at all...although I have replaced rotors and pads myself before.
Old 8/18/07, 03:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Procedure? Pics?

I've never bled brakes or played w/ the lines at all...although I have replaced rotors and pads myself before.
I do not have any pics but they are quite easy to install. Just make sure you have some line wrenches so you do not strip the hard line. My Earl Brake lines came with some instructions but it was really simple. Also, make sure you use the crush washers that are provide instead of reusing the old one; they make sure your system is 100% leak free.

Good luck !
Old 8/20/07, 01:10 PM

Line wrenches, eh?

I don't have any of those Where can I get them, and what sizes are needed?

Also, since you are track crew:
1--What brake fluid are you running?
2--How difficult is it to flush the brake fluid, and not screw up the ABS box? Procedure?
Old 8/20/07, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Line wrenches, eh?

2--How difficult is it to flush the brake fluid, and not screw up the ABS box? Procedure?
Line wrenches are readily available from any tool outlet, Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, et al... I would buy a small set, ranging from 8mm up to 15mm, and also buy a set of crowsfoot sockets while you're at it (essentially the line wrench end, with a 3/8" drive hole in it in place of the handle) in the same sizes, plus 18mm. You'll really appreciate it when doing suspension work and installing a one-piece driveshaft.

For the brake stuff, I use Motul RBF600 DOT4 fluid, and doing a flush is simplicity itself. First, buy 2 sets of Earls Solo Bleeders and a bleeder buddy, they make this absolutely painless. The Solo Bleeders are replacement bleeder screws with a spring-loaded seat that acts as a one-way check valve. The bleeder buddy is just a small plastic bottle whose cap has a magnetic holder and a small tube that plugs into the bleeder screw.

Once you have all the parts installed, start bleeding at the RR caliper. If you're changing fluid, cycle the pedal SLOWLY seven times, and check the fluid level in the bottle, emptying as it starts to get full. Keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir but don't do anything other than take the cap off until the fluid level gets to the point where the reservoir is getting REALLY low, but don't let it run dry! Add fluid, and keep going on the RR caliper. Once the color of the fluid in the hose of the bleeder buddy changes to a nice, clean golden color, close off the bleeder screw, top off the master cylinder reservoir, and test your pedal. It should be nice and firm. Then bleed the other three calipers in order: LR, RF, LF. Top off the reservoir frequently, and close off the bleeder and test your pedal when the fluid in the tube changes to the nice clean gold. Once you have done all four corners, double-check your pedal feel, do a visual inspection all the way around for leaks, top off your fluid level, and take it for a test drive. The whole thing, lines, solo bleeders, and the flush, will take you around 1.5hrs, including jacking time, by yourself. Less if you jack one corner at a time. No buddy is required.
Old 8/21/07, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Line wrenches are readily available from any tool outlet, Snap-On, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, et al... I would buy a small set, ranging from 8mm up to 15mm, and also buy a set of crowsfoot sockets while you're at it (essentially the line wrench end, with a 3/8" drive hole in it in place of the handle) in the same sizes, plus 18mm. You'll really appreciate it when doing suspension work and installing a one-piece driveshaft.

For the brake stuff, I use Motul RBF600 DOT4 fluid, and doing a flush is simplicity itself. First, buy 2 sets of Earls Solo Bleeders and a bleeder buddy, they make this absolutely painless. The Solo Bleeders are replacement bleeder screws with a spring-loaded seat that acts as a one-way check valve. The bleeder buddy is just a small plastic bottle whose cap has a magnetic holder and a small tube that plugs into the bleeder screw.

Once you have all the parts installed, start bleeding at the RR caliper. If you're changing fluid, cycle the pedal SLOWLY seven times, and check the fluid level in the bottle, emptying as it starts to get full. Keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir but don't do anything other than take the cap off until the fluid level gets to the point where the reservoir is getting REALLY low, but don't let it run dry! Add fluid, and keep going on the RR caliper. Once the color of the fluid in the hose of the bleeder buddy changes to a nice, clean golden color, close off the bleeder screw, top off the master cylinder reservoir, and test your pedal. It should be nice and firm. Then bleed the other three calipers in order: LR, RF, LF. Top off the reservoir frequently, and close off the bleeder and test your pedal when the fluid in the tube changes to the nice clean gold. Once you have done all four corners, double-check your pedal feel, do a visual inspection all the way around for leaks, top off your fluid level, and take it for a test drive. The whole thing, lines, solo bleeders, and the flush, will take you around 1.5hrs, including jacking time, by yourself. Less if you jack one corner at a time. No buddy is required.
Oh, so flushing is just an "extended" bleeding procedure, essentially.

For a guy with only 5 posts, you're pretty knowledgeable!

Thanks!
Old 8/26/07, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Line wrenches, eh?

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation last week. Follow SoundGuyDave's advice ... I would have given essentially the same one except for the Solo Bleeder part 'cause I do not have them ... yet !

I also use Motul RBF600 as braking fluid. I do a lot of track and never had my brake fluid boil or pad fade. I must say that the tracks I run have enough straights to help cool down the brakes.

Apart from the looks, I do not get these people who put big brake kits on the 05+ Mustangs. Removing the brake shield, SS lines, good brake fluid and race pads are well enough for running the Stang on the track. Also, at $40 for 2 front disks (take-offs), it isn't even worth upgrading the front disks ... and the rear pads & disks barely wear !
Old 9/9/07, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info, guys.

One other question--what are you doing about the caliper slide bolts?
The Ford manual says to discard and replace these with new units.

Are you reusing these, or getting the bolts from a Ford dealer or some other source?

Thanks,
Old 9/9/07, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info, guys.

One other question--what are you doing about the caliper slide bolts?
The Ford manual says to discard and replace these with new units.

Are you reusing these, or getting the bolts from a Ford dealer or some other source?

Thanks,
Replace them ? I never replace them; I remove my calipers about 8 time a year ... no use replacing them unless they are damaged.
Old 9/9/07, 07:04 PM
GT Member

Oh, so flushing is just an "extended" bleeding procedure, essentially.

For a guy with only 5 posts, you're pretty knowledgeable!

Thanks!

I have seen this type of comment before and laugh evrytime. Just because someone hasnt posted 100million times does not mean they are new to cars or even new to these cars for that matter just means they havnt posted lol
Old 9/9/07, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
I have seen this type of comment before and laugh evrytime. Just because someone hasnt posted 100million times does not mean they are new to cars or even new to these cars for that matter just means they havnt posted lol
Yeah it's kind of funny how some equate post count with knowledge.

Richard
Old 9/9/07, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MontrealStang
Replace them ? I never replace them; I remove my calipers about 8 time a year ... no use replacing them unless they are damaged.
OK understood, thanks.
Old 9/9/07, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
Yeah it's kind of funny how some equate post count with knowledge.

Richard
Sorry--usually guys that are on this board that have under 50 posts are posting things like "just got 05 GT, where can I find deep dish bullit wheels?/how do I drive manual transmission?/etc etc"
Old 9/10/07, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Drew you have nothing to be sorry about man.

I know what your saying though. Although i have a decent amount of knowledge, I have owned and modded trucks most of my life so when we got the Stang I was one of those asking what CAI Suspension etc because I did not know much about Stangs.

Richard
Old 9/10/07, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry--usually guys that are on this board that have under 50 posts are posting things like "just got 05 GT, where can I find deep dish bullit wheels?/how do I drive manual transmission?/etc etc"
No worries here, either... It's the usual "you never know who you're talking to" deal. I'm a former ASE Master tech, but I've been out of the business for more than fifteen years, so I'm not up to speed on the electronics end of these cars, but I do know the brakes, suspension and drivetrain end of things reasonably well. All you can do is "filter" ANY information you're given though these forums with the basic reality check. There are those who know, those that don't, and those that think they know, and the latter are the most dangerous. Usually, these forums are pretty good at self-policing, where the knuckleheads get called out pretty quick. After a while, you just get to know who does know what they're talking about.

Good luck with your brakes!
Old 9/10/07, 09:32 AM
GT Member

yea didnt mean to bash you or anything just wanted to make a point is all. When it comes down to it there are WAY MORE knowledgable people in this forum(some with lower post counts) and most of what I know is due to these forums except the general know how I have picked up over the years. Jts dont base to much off of post numbers it can get you into real life trouble that you really dont want

Quick Reply: Any How-To on Installing SS Brake Lines ?