GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Another TBS question

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/05, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After installing the TBS last week, the butt-dyno definitely registers better throttle response, and the computer is telling me I'm getting two or three more MPG. But I'll be durned if I understand the physics behind this little piece of machined aluminum.

Can someone please explain to me just how it makes such an improvement in response and mileage?? And use small words where ya can.....
Old 12/12/05, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is made out of forged anodized magic pixie dust!!

Old 12/12/05, 02:17 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

I'm an engineer here, so I'll keep it simple.

Fluids, either liquid or gas, flow better through a orifice (the TB opening and valve heads) or a conduit (the intake and intake manifold) if the fluid is swirling around. The grooves on the TB spacer, swirl the air around. Effectively getting air to the cylinders with a lot less resistance and more efficiently. This gives you better throttle response and more MPG.

I took fluids classes in college.
Old 12/12/05, 03:01 PM
JLH

I can't tell you how it works for you as far as gas mileage improvement is concerned, it showed no improvement for me.

I put the TBS on my car after I did a 25 mile loop and checked the mileage before the install. I then installed the TBS and did the same 25 mile loop at the same speed etc. I live in a rural area so traffic is not an issue. The mileage was the same within .1 mpg. (TPS installed mileage was less).

After the mileage test I drove around and did not notice any throttle responce difference.

I then removed the TBS and did the mileage loop again and got the same mileage as I did on the first loop.

It may be that my CAI (WMS 90mm w/ram air tray) already is efficient enough that there is no improvement to be gained by the venturi effect of the spacer.

I would sell my spacer to someone on a good deal if they are interested.

JLH
Old 12/12/05, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@December 12, 2005, 5:20 PM
I'm an engineer here, so I'll keep it simple.

Fluids, either liquid or gas, flow better through a orifice (the TB opening and valve heads) or a conduit (the intake and intake manifold) if the fluid is swirling around. The grooves on the TB spacer, swirl the air around. Effectively getting air to the cylinders with a lot less resistance and more efficiently. This gives you better throttle response and more MPG.

I took fluids classes in college.
Thanks, Dustin, that actually makes sense to me!
Old 12/12/05, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm not arguing with anyone who says they see an improvement in mileage, and feel an improvement....I didn't, so I sold mine.
Old 12/12/05, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone calculated the increase in plenum volume from the TBS which may be a reason there's sometimes a perceived increase in torque? (Trucks use long runners, right?) I had fluid mechanics in college too, but I fail to see how the short spiral striations (rifling?) on the interior surface of the bores in these spacers can overcome the turbulence caused by the air tumbling past the throttle plates and impart any rotational movement to the incoming air. I used some big words, sorry.
Old 12/13/05, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by outdoorstom@December 12, 2005, 8:28 PM
I'm not arguing with anyone who says they see an improvement in mileage, and feel an improvement....I didn't, so I sold mine.
Yeah Tom, I bought yours from you and it has been in my car for months now, NO noticable difference at all
Old 12/13/05, 08:27 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by davids2toys@December 13, 2005, 6:44 PM
Yeah Tom, I bought yours from you and it has been in my car for months now, NO noticable difference at all

Ditto - haven' noticed squat from mine - and after Doug from Bamachips dyno test, it is coming off this weekend......
Old 12/13/05, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since my exhaust is back to stock now, I can hear "The Whistle".

+1 cool point