GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Another Successful WMS Install

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/05, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the WMS with tray on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I lined the underside of the tray with Thermo-Shield.

We used the long MAF harness (P/N 3U2Z14S411FJAA) instead of the supplied wires. We soldered and heat shrunk the connections. I think this is currenlty the best option for this install since it reduces the possible bad connections by half.

Observations:

I noticed that the top of the tray edge leaves an indentation in the hood liner. It doesn't look like the tray edge has been stressed at this point. Has anyone else experienced this?

The passenger tray side does rest on one of the hoses but it doesn't look like it will wear into it.

I definitely hear a pronounced growl. Due to all the rain, the butt dyno session will have to wait until tomorrow.

When I turn the car off with the hood up, I can hear the air escape back out of the filter.

Overall, the kit was easy to install. No problems at all.

Here are some pictures:

[attachmentid=34731]
Old 9/26/05, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

[attachmentid=34732]
Old 9/26/05, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

[attachmentid=34733]
Old 9/26/05, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I couldn't have done this without my two friends.

[attachmentid=34735]

By the way, The mustang Dave is leaning against runs nines in the quarter.

This is a closeup of the shirt Tony wore. It didn't provide me with much comfort.

[attachmentid=34736]
Old 9/26/05, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Another happy install completed Its a pretty simple to install.

- The top edges wi/out my gasket does hit the hoodliner, and over time will cut into it. The gasket I put on top really made it a tight fit, and is slightly harder to close the hood. Since I have added the gasket on top, it's not cutting into the liner, but the outline is more visible exposing the "open" area to the engine heat.

- I have noticed a slight stress on the sides, probably due to my tighter fit than others. I simply installed a few screws that came with the kit, and no problems since.

- I also have slight rubbing on the upper rad hose, and it has slightly started to rub away at the hose,again...enhanced by my gasket to seal off the tray entirely.
Nothin' wrong with a 9 sec pony, I have one also Due back from getting 25:2 chassis any week now.

Nice filter....might as well buy a sock for it from Outerwears now to protect it. And while your at it, tell them to ship mine back lol
Old 9/27/05, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks good Mark!

I noticed my filter leaves a partial impression in the hood liner where the contours of it bring it lower and closer to the passenger side of the filter.

One thing I did which may be entirely unnecessary but seems to have helped: This past weekend it occured to me the instructions for the WMS install says to disconnect the negative battery terminal which I did and was very pleased with the response of the car after install. This came to mind because I remembered reading on here that the computer "learns" your driving style and one member mentioned he goes WOT every now and then to keep the computer open to that scenario so to speak. So, I went and disconnected the positve terminal on the battery, reconnected it and took her out for a spin. I was sure to go WOT in 1st and WOT thru all the gears, even if for only a brief second or two (road conditions/speed limit). Man, what a difference!! Now whenever I take the car out going from a normal take off if I go WOT in 1st I will spin the tires which my car never did before and I don't have a lot of wear on my tires either, just turned 4800 miles. The car just really woke up

I don't know if this is something you guys would normally do and I was just being a noob and dumb to this fact and should've done this right after install but I just thought I'd share my experience and pass the word.
Old 9/27/05, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks

I called WMS and asked about the indentation. They told me that is was "normal"

Why did you disconnect the positive terminal?
Old 9/30/05, 09:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Any water build-up in the tray when it's raining? If water gets sucked up in the air filter or the air filter gets wet, would that be bad?
Old 10/1/05, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

It was raining the day I installed it. I drove it in the rain for about 30 minutes. I saw no water in the tray.

I would assume that if water did get sucked into the filter it would bad but I doubt that much, if any water would. That is, unless you drive through a monsoon.
Old 10/2/05, 09:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know . . . and no offense . . . but to heck with the WMS install and the nine second Mustang . . . what's the story with the Superbird ?
Old 10/2/05, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

The two guys in my picture are working on the car. The car belongs to a friend of Tony's. He had some idiot modify the car and now Tony and Dave have a laundry list of items to address.

He also owns a 70 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet and a 71 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet. One of these days I will have a pic taken of my car with those.
Old 10/3/05, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by markski74@October 2, 2005, 1:06 PM
The two guys in my picture are working on the car. The car belongs to a friend of Tony's. He had some idiot modify the car and now Tony and Dave have a laundry list of items to address.

He also owns a 70 Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet and a 71 Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet. One of these days I will have a pic taken of my car with those.
Yeah, get some pics . . . if the Machs are as choice as the Bird it would be nice to see. Man . . . those were the days . . . no jelly bean, cookie cuttter crap !!!
Old 10/3/05, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by markski74@September 27, 2005, 2:00 PM
Thanks
I called WMS and asked about the indentation. They told me that is was "normal"

Why did you disconnect the positive terminal?

I dunno. I realize removing either one breaks the circuit but I guess I was always taught to remove the hot lead first while keeping the ground intact. Again, since removing either breaks the circuit I guess it doesn't actually make a difference?
Old 10/3/05, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a reason to disconnect the ground first (or only if you are just killing power to work on the car). And it is pretty simple. If you are using a big wrench while loosening the bolt on the ground lead and you accidentally contact something on the car that is grounded with the wrench, absolutely nothing happens.

If you are taking off the positive lead first and you contact something grounded with the wrench, you have a very nice, direct short across the battery with a big chunk of metal. You can arc weld with that much current and it WILL take a chunk out of your wrench (best case) in a split second. The worse case is much uglier (if rarer!).

Once one of the cables is off, there is NO difference between taking the positive or negative cable off. The circuit is open and that is what matters.
Old 10/3/05, 07:32 PM
GT Member

OK now who is ready to data log the WMS intake with Ram AIr tray on the thread below?
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=34185&hl=