GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Another Hurst Competition Plus installed

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/06, 12:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

First I want to thank dustindu4 and davids2toys for their helpful posts and all the trial and error they went through with their shifters - the information was invaluable.
My previous shifter set up in the car was the stock shifter with Steeda urethane bushings and an MRT round ****. This set up did have more noise and vibration than the stock rubber bushings and it was very noticable.
Today, I installed the Hurst Competition Plus w/chrome stick (and black ****) and the supplied urethane bushings. First I'll say that the shifter makes less noise than the stock shifter w/urethane bushings. The shifts are incredibly short, and despite the extra effort to row through the gears, this is a mod I couldn't be happier with [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Now about the "less noise" issue - what I did was take a bit of dustindu4's and davids2toys' info and combine it. I went to Lowes and bought 2 small rubber sheets that they have in the plumbing section. They measure about 5"x7" and are an orange color. I bought one that is about 1/16" thick, and one that's 1/8" thick. I used the 1/16" piece to cut an isolator to use between the stick and shifter, and the 1/8" piece to use at the rear of the shifter where it mounts to the body/drive-shaft tunnel. The 1/8" piece insures that there is no metal-to-metal or urethane-to-metal contact. It's rectangular in shape and evidently does what I intended it to do. I used Loctite 242 (blue) on the threads of the studs where the rear of the shifter mounts, and tightened the nuts just snug - not fully torqued.
Took the car out for a shake down - remembered that folks on here reported a buzzing/vibration at or above 3K RPM, so I left it in second and took it to redline and listened for any unusual or new noises. NONE - I was shocked that it was quieter than the previous set up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek.gif[/img] So I blasted through the gears several times, took it up to about 90MPH and no addition noise/buzzing/vibration. When I decelerate (throttle lift only, no brakes applied), I do see the stick vibrating and there's a slight noise, but you really have to listen close for it. Even with the radio on a normal volume I won't hear it. We'll see how things go once the thing breaks in and whether the noise increases.
I'd also like to add that if anyone wants parts for their 05+ Stang, please check Speed Unlimited first. I got the Hurst from them and it showed up with no shift ball, which put the install off for a week. I received the shifter on a Friday and was excited about installing it the next day, only to discover no shift **** in the packaging. I sent an email that night, and also called them the next morning. The guy who was working there on Saturday told me that eBay issues are M-F/8-5. Oh well, no biggie since I was another week out from installing the thing any way. Later that day I get a call from George @ Speed Unlimited (on Easter weekend no less) and we talked for a bit, he checked a few boxes in his warehouse to confirm that the **** was supposed to be in there. He sent me a **** UPS - I couldn't ask for better customer service [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Thanks again to Dustin and Dave for their trial and error info!
Old 4/22/06, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write-up. Thanks for consolidating the various info in several other threads. Please keep us posted over the next several weeks as you break it in.
Old 4/22/06, 01:41 PM
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wsmatau @ April 22, 2006, 1:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Nice write-up. Thanks for consolidating the various info in several other threads. Please keep us posted over the next several weeks as you break it in.
[/b][/quote]
X2 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 11:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ordered one from them last week. Should be here in a few days.

Was there anything else you did during the install that you got from the other threads? Just the two "isolators" and that's it?
Old 4/22/06, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Seems like a pretty neat, noticeable, and simple mod. Considering it...
Old 4/23/06, 06:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ April 23, 2006, 1:34 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just ordered one from them last week. Should be here in a few days.

Was there anything else you did during the install that you got from the other threads? Just the two "isolators" and that's it?
[/b][/quote]

No not really - just the pieces of rubber, Loctite 242, fully tighten the forward mount bolt, and only snug down the rear nuts and shift linkage nut [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

nice writeup and consolidation of some previous threads, Dave. Appreciate it! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTAS @ April 23, 2006, 7:27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No not really - just the pieces of rubber, Loctite 242, fully tighten the forward mount bolt, and only snug down the rear nuts and shift linkage nut [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]