GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Amsoil VS Mobile 1

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/06, 07:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have 5000 miles on my car and have changed the oil twice because of time not miles. My question is would there be any problems with changing oils? I am currently using Mobile 1 5-20W and want to change to Amsoil. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 08:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is would there be any problems with changing oils?

Shouldn't be a problem...but I wouldn't use Amsoil. It thickens up out of spec for the weight of the oil. I've posted a link that did a real test on Mobil1 vs Amsoil. Read it for yourself and judge. Also, the main reason I use Mobil1 Synthetic is for its ability to hold contaminants in suspension so they go out with the oil change. My brother-in-law Has raced Pro Stock motorcycles and has his own shop that does performance upgrades on racing motorcycles and he said that only the Mobil1 fed motors have no deposits under the valve heads when he tears them apart. All others have deposits. I realize motorcycle engines are a little different than our 4.6L but it just proves Mobil1 performs under hotter conditions than other synthetics. Read the article. It was sent by another member of this forum a while ago.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old 2/4/06, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GRAYPNY @ February 4, 2006, 6:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have 5000 miles on my car and have changed the oil twice because of time not miles. My question is would there be any problems with changing oils? I am currently using Mobile 1 5-20W and want to change to Amsoil. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Don't Do It!!! It will void your warranty!!!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollinglaugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollinglaugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollinglaugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollinglaugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rofl2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollinglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 08:46 PM
RPM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GRAYPNY @ February 4, 2006, 8:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

If your changing oil that often [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] just use any API 5w20 mineral oil [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img] . Amsoil [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] or Mobil 1 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img] can go a lot longer than 5000 miles.
Old 2/5/06, 12:48 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJC302 @ February 4, 2006, 7:32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My question is would there be any problems with changing oils?

Shouldn't be a problem...but I wouldn't use Amsoil. It thickens up out of spec for the weight of the oil. I've posted a link that did a real test on Mobil1 vs Amsoil. Read it for yourself and judge. Also, the main reason I use Mobil1 Synthetic is for its ability to hold contaminants in suspension so they go out with the oil change. My brother-in-law Has raced Pro Stock motorcycles and has his own shop that does performance upgrades on racing motorcycles and he said that only the Mobil1 fed motors have no deposits under the valve heads when he tears them apart. All others have deposits. I realize motorcycle engines are a little different than our 4.6L but it just proves Mobil1 performs under hotter conditions than other synthetics. Read the article. It was sent by another member of this forum a while ago.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
[/b][/quote]
Heh, that source tested Amsoil's "lower end" stuff. I'd like to see them test the series 2000 or the 3000.

-Dan
Old 2/5/06, 01:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ February 4, 2006, 11:51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Heh, that source tested Amsoil's "lower end" stuff. I'd like to see them test the series 2000 or the 3000.

-Dan
[/b][/quote]

either way they're both good oils and can't go wrong with either. I don't think anyone is really going to go 10,000 miles between changes, let alone 14,000 or 18,000 or whatever.