GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

American Racing Catted H Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/07, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Racing Catted H Fitment Issue

I bought the headers and catted H pipe from Tillman Speed. I just had them installed last week and I am having a problem with the pass side cat hitting the body. There really are no adjustments that I can see to make. This happens on cold startup and on warm startup. On cold startup it is really bad for about a 1/4 mile. Once the exhaust heats up it quits happening. I am assuming that the exhaust expands enough to clear the chassis. In looking at it I can see that the driver side cat is 1/4-1/2 inch farther away from the body than the pass side cat. It is rattling not on the "frame rail" but on another part just inside and above the bottom of the "frame rail". I would say it has to come down and inboard, at least 1/2 in inboard and at most 1/4 in down if at all. I don't think I can bend it at all, not even the hanger. I prob shouldn’t try it either. I would want to compromise any of the welds. Any advice anyone can give me would be great. I can post pics tomorrow.
Old 8/3/07, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I haven't had ANY issues with my headers at all. Running awesome!! Did you contact CR or Nick at American Racing Headers? I wouldn't be too worried, as both guys are stand up people, and they will get it straightened out for you.
Old 8/3/07, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I have not contacted Nick yet as I didn't know who to contact. CR and I talked and I wanted to look at it more before I did anything. I wanted to see what you guys thought also. I still have to take pictures but I now have a video which was requested on another forum. This is the 1.75 Catted H and SLP LOUDMOUTHS at I would guess 1000 feet. I love the sound in the video and live. The problem with trumpets and rasp are very evident though with just normal driving.

Video http://media.putfile.com/American-Ra...SLP-LM-Burnout
Old 8/4/07, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I spent the day under the car loosening bands and shifting things around a bit. I made no progress. The pictures will tell the story The pass header is one finger width away from the "frame rail" the drivers side is two fingers away from the frame rail. I even attempted to move the motor over the 1/8 inch that is left in the oblong holes of the motor mounts. It is going to be enough. I think I did enough to keep it from rattling on cold startup, but hot and warm startups it still rattles. On cold startup it only rattled in reverse. Here are the pics. I circled the spot that it is hitting. The dark patch in the middle of the circle.

How much space do you guys have between the collectors and the "frame rails" and the cats and "frame rails"?
Attached Thumbnails American Racing Catted H Fitment Issue-pass-side-cat-rear-medium-.jpg   American Racing Catted H Fitment Issue-pass-side-collector-medium-.jpg   American Racing Catted H Fitment Issue-driver-side-cat-rear-medium-.jpg   American Racing Catted H Fitment Issue-driver-side-collector-medium-.jpg  
Old 8/6/07, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Just spoke to Nick at AR and he thinks we didn't get the H on all the way. Will try it and see what happens. Thanks Nick!!!