GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aluminum Driveshafts

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/08, 03:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum Driveshafts

Does anyone have this driveshaft, and any info about it. It has a good price. It kinda sounds like the SpyderShaft.

http://www.lightningforceperformance...ang-p-551.html
Old 4/1/08, 03:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 302svt
Does anyone have this driveshaft, and any info about it. It has a good price. It kinda sounds like the SpyderShaft.

http://www.lightningforceperformance...ang-p-551.html

Looks like a new player in town. I have to agree that it looks and sounds very much like the Spydershaft. It is also price similiar...it also sounds like a quality part. I like competition...are they willing to deal? I got my Spydieshaft about $50 cheaper than that!!
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 4/1/08 at 04:27 PM.
Old 4/1/08, 03:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you want a 3.5" shaft, spend a bit more and get a REAL 3.5" shaft. www.shaftmasters.com

Old 4/1/08, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

The blurb on the product is virtually word-for-word from Ron's Spydershaft website, BUT did anybody notice the absolute contradiction here??? The blurb lists "no adapters to vibrate," but the photo CLEARLY shows an adapter on the slip-joint end... Methinks the product pic doesn't match the blurb.

Also, the Spydershaft IS a "real" shaft. My install went very smoothly, with no vibrations whatsoever up through around 85MPH at steady-state cruise, and with no vibrations evident accelerating or decelerating through around 140MPH. The build quality is excellent, fit and finish is excellent, and the price and customer service is excellent. I'm sure Shaftmasters makes a good product, but so does Ron!
Old 4/1/08, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
The blurb on the product is virtually word-for-word from Ron's Spydershaft website, BUT did anybody notice the absolute contradiction here??? The blurb lists "no adapters to vibrate," but the photo CLEARLY shows an adapter on the slip-joint end... Methinks the product pic doesn't match the blurb.

Also, the Spydershaft IS a "real" shaft. My install went very smoothly, with no vibrations whatsoever up through around 85MPH at steady-state cruise, and with no vibrations evident accelerating or decelerating through around 140MPH. The build quality is excellent, fit and finish is excellent, and the price and customer service is excellent. I'm sure Shaftmasters makes a good product, but so does Ron!

Hey good eye Dave..... I have to agree. They say "no adaptor" but the picture seems to show something else. Anyone in the know about this new shaft on the market??? While I had an issue getting my new pinion flange seated correctly that came with the Spydershaft I had my gear guy get it seated and I have no vibration at all up thru 100 mph. My vote is for Spyder!
Scott
Old 4/1/08, 05:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Shaftmaster 3.5" shaft for me.
Old 4/1/08, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shaftmaster 4'' Girth does matter....
Old 4/1/08, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey good eye Dave..... I have to agree. They say "no adaptor" but the picture seems to show something else. Anyone in the know about this new shaft on the market??? While I had an issue getting my new pinion flange seated correctly that came with the Spydershaft I had my gear guy get it seated and I have no vibration at all up thru 100 mph. My vote is for Spyder!
Scott
Are you guys with aluminum driveshaft taking your cars to the track? Or is it just sometime to put on your Mod list. Also how many tenths would the shaft shave off in the quarter?

Last edited by Rapture; 4/1/08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 4/1/08, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
Are you guys with aluminum driveshaft taking your cars to the track?

I have not and don't have any plans too. Why do you ask? I can tell on the street that the car spools up quicker. It is a worthwhile mod!! The claims are 2-3 tenths in the 1/4

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 4/1/08 at 07:00 PM.
Old 4/1/08, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
Are you guys with aluminum driveshaft taking your cars to the track? Or is it just sometime to put on your Mod list. Also how many tenths would the shaft shave off in the quarter?
I do but haven't lately as my tires aren't holding traction with all my mods plus 4.10s. So untill I get some drag radials I'll just have to enjoy it on the street. I don't think anyone here would spend $$ just to add to their mod list. Atleast I hope not.
Old 4/1/08, 06:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spydershaft person here with no problems. Ron stands behind his product 110% and it is a great mod track or no track.
Old 4/1/08, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I've tracked mine, and it appears to be good for a couple of tenths, at least. The quicker revving, though, is particularly appreciated on the road course, as is the reduced static weight. Absolutely a worthwhile mod.
Old 4/1/08, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran down the 1/4 for the first time this pass weekend and I am addicted I

Edit: Show N Go for the Win

Last edited by Rapture; 4/1/08 at 07:49 PM.
Old 4/1/08, 08:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I didn't notice that much of a difference, but its there
Old 4/1/08, 09:56 PM
Bullitt Member

it's one of those mods that you don't notice on the "butt dyno" but shows up on the time slips. If you horse around at higher road speeds, you'll notice snappier acceleration, and a LOT less "drag" when you lift the throttle. It also seems a little more responsive to the brakes as well...
Old 4/1/08, 10:28 PM
GT Member

For those of you that have aluminum driveshafts already, did you need to buy adjustable LCA's or UCA's? What about pinion angle?
Old 4/2/08, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Also, the Spydershaft IS a "real" shaft.

Just making sure you're not and no one else is misinterpreting what I said- I said a REAL 3.5" shaft- that is what the Shaftmaster's shaft is, the Spydershaft is not. I never said there is anything wrong with the Sypdershaft, only that it is not a true 3.5" which is important for anyone considering a 3.5" unit. For people that are looking at a 4", the Spydershaft is a great unit- Shaftmaster's also makes a 4" unit too.
Old 4/2/08, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Just making sure you're not and no one else is misinterpreting what I said- I said a REAL 3.5" shaft- that is what the Shaftmaster's shaft is, the Spydershaft is not. I never said there is anything wrong with the Sypdershaft, only that it is not a true 3.5" which is important for anyone considering a 3.5" unit. For people that are looking at a 4", the Spydershaft is a great unit- Shaftmaster's also makes a 4" unit too.
Tom makes some good points. do the research there are positive points to 3.5'' and 4'' shafts, 3.5 gives some leeway on lowered cars although I'm installing a 4'' Shaftmaster on my 06 and I have a 1'' drop ! most of these issues are covered in tacobill's Coast install write up ! heres a pic of a Shaftmaster 4" I should have installed today...........maybe ...lol

Last edited by blkstang06; 4/2/08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 4/2/08, 08:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davesiar
For those of you that have aluminum driveshafts already, did you need to buy adjustable LCA's or UCA's? What about pinion angle?
If you don't have a radial drop you "probably" won't have to adjust the pinion angle. I have Roush springs and the rear is only about an inch drop and I do not have the adjustable UCA.
Old 4/2/08, 09:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
If you don't have a radial drop you "probably" won't have to adjust the pinion angle. I have Roush springs and the rear is only about an inch drop and I do not have the adjustable UCA.
Do you remember what your pinion angle is with the 1 inch drop? Just curious how much a small drop like that takes it out of spec, if at all.
I have a few mods in line before the driveshaft but hopefully this summer I'll get one.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshafts