GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

All this tuneing talk has me going nuts... question?

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/06, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this tuneing talk has me going nuts... question?

Buy a part, have to get your car retuned to get the most out of it. Great, sounds pretty easy, but then again requires someone with a dyno and all the goodies. In order to avoid throwing a code or having a crappy running car.

Mod #1 : You buy for example a Steeda Intake and Predator to tune your car to use it without throwing a code for lean condition. Wonderfull your on your way because it's already got the tune.

Mod #2 : Now you pickup a set of headers. Do you have to tune the exhaust parts as well... hmmm to take advantage of the gains and not throw codes for o2 sensors etc...

Question #1: Do you have to get a custom tune or does someone have an all encompasing tune program where you just pick the parts you have and it generates a tune?

Drop cash on a new custom tune

Two months later you get a xpipe and axle back.. x amount of dollars.

Mod #3 : Xpipe and axle back go in and now you need another tune?

x amount of dollars on a tune.

Mod #4 : Throttle body goes on...

etc...

Does the cycle continue to require you to get a tune so the car doesnt give you trouble?

Strategy would necessitate that I should get parts in groups to take advantage of the dyno time/cost. Good for tuneing but bad when you have mods laying around waiting on other mods to take advantage of the tuneing you'll have to get.

i.e.

-get intake and tuner and flux capacitor & tune it
-get headers, xpipe and axle back & tune it
-get throttle body, ?? and ?? & tune it

Is there anywhere that offers a coarse on tuneing with these various tuners so that one can be educated enough to do it on your own?

I remember the good old days when you threw on an intake, bigger 4bbl and exhaust and maybe twisted a couple screws to get the carb adjusted and off you went.....

thanks for your attention...

frustrated jake
Old 8/28/06, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you are trying to squeeze every last hp out of the car, a semi-custom tune (like from Doug) will be much more than sufficient. My car was never tuned on a dyno until the supercharger went on. And Doug was great about e-mailing me revised tunes as I needed them (for $0). For example, he sent me a new tune when my headers went on. I believe he still provides that service as long as you buy the XCal2 from him to start with.
Old 8/28/06, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Just skip all of the nickel and dime stuff and add the 'wBOOST' and have it tuned once for that!
Old 8/28/06, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by don_w
Unless you are trying to squeeze every last hp out of the car, a semi-custom tune (like from Doug) will be much more than sufficient. My car was never tuned on a dyno until the supercharger went on. And Doug was great about e-mailing me revised tunes as I needed them (for $0). For example, he sent me a new tune when my headers went on. I believe he still provides that service as long as you buy the XCal2 from him to start with.
I bought a tune from doug initially (his torque tune). He has modded it for me after the 4.10's (free) and after the LT's (free). It is not that hard, but go with the xcal and use the live tune. I did a step by step a few weeks ago on how to load a tune in your hand held.
Old 8/28/06, 08:42 PM
V6 Member

This is just my opinion but do a little local research as far as shops go and find out what programmer they are most knowledgeable on. My guy Tony G at HP performance does all our tuning and he is a master of the SCT software. Having a programmer helps as far as tuning for the new mods but if you want to make sure you are getting the most out of your engine then a DYNO Tune is the best way to go.

Tony has been on PINKS as well as numerous articles in the magazines.

He has also built the fastest Ford GT super car with Twin Turbos and a SCT tune. They have the story on the SCT website.