GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aftermarket shock install question

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/10, 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket shock install question

Do you use the stock rubber bushings or the ones that come with after market shocks (i.e. Koni sports)?? Asking because I installed a set of Koni Sports last night and noticed the stock rubber bushings are a lot different than ones provided by Koni. I should have taken pictures, but the stock bushing has a shoulder area that sticks up ~ 1/2 inch above the body mounting hole and the top piece fits over it. But the Koni's bushings only had a small shoulder area (same for top and bottom), which not seems to have much material for keeping the shock centered in the mounting hole.

I installed them with the Koni bushings since the upper half of the stocker was attached to the large washer/nut... but since the Koni instructions were pretty vague, thought I would double check which way is correct.
Old 4/14/10, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Doug,
I assume you are talking about the rear shocks? I installed my Koni sport 1 1/2 weeks ago and I used the stock rubber mounts. I did not get anything with my rear Koni shocks.
Scott
Old 4/14/10, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Doug,
I assume you are talking about the rear shocks? I installed my Koni sport 1 1/2 weeks ago and I used the stock rubber mounts. I did not get anything with my rear Koni shocks.
Scott
Doug, I happened to go the opposite route of Scott on this one. I also assume you're talking about Koni Sport rear shocks. I installed those and I used the rubber bushing that came with them (which I assume you're talking about the bushing that is mounted against the trunk wall and the conical washer?). I saved my OEM ones in the box with the OEM shocks but put the Koni ones on the car with the Koni shocks. Also:

-Matt
Old 4/14/10, 01:52 PM
Cobra Member

Yep, referring to the rears as I assumed when I said "shocks" and not "struts" that was clear

I did the same thing as you Matt.

Scott, were the stock top bushings fixed to the washer/nut?
Old 4/14/10, 02:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
Yep, referring to the rears as I assumed when I said "shocks" and not "struts" that was clear

I did the same thing as you Matt.

Scott, were the stock top bushings fixed to the washer/nut?
Yes... the steel washers are stuck to the rubber bushings in some manner. I really had no choice but to re-use the stock mounts since I didn't get any other mounts with my shocks. And if you got any kind of instruction sheet with your Koni's I am really feeling screwed because I got nothing with my struts and shocks. Not that I really needed them but....
Old 4/14/10, 03:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if these pics helps, but this was how Leo's D-Spec were installed.

Old 4/14/10, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

I should scan and post the "instructions" that came with my Koni's as they were pretty much useless. Just a bunch of pictures and not many words.

Scott, what initiall setting did you use for your rears??

Last edited by Doogie; 4/14/10 at 03:39 PM.
Old 4/14/10, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a shot of the stock bushing. The piece on the right is the lower 1/2, which would extend a good bit into the the trunk area... and the top 1/2 is large enough for the lower piece to fit well up inside it.

And the Koni bushings on the other hand both look the same and only have maybe a 1/4 inch that extends into the mounting hole (if that makes sense). If I end up swapping the stock bushings back in, I will post up some pics of the Koni bushings.

And here's the provided install instructions. There is more information on the back (in similar detail) about how to set them.

Last edited by Doogie; 4/14/10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 4/14/10, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Whoops...I need to back up. I guess the Koni's I bought are the cheapy none adjustable set. I do not have the sports. I have the STR.T set. Maybe that's why I didn't get new rubbers and instruction included.