GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aftermarket Muffler Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/05, 09:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a set of Mangaflow Axle backs yesterday. The left side went in real easily in about 20 minute. The right side was a pain in my butt. It was hitting the rear bumper and misaligned. I had to use a hammer and bend the hangars a bit. The right one is still off a bit and I want to further adjust it. Has anyone run into this problem and if so what was your solution?

FYI....The Magnaflows and MAK X-Pipe sound awesome. The car is as quiet as stock on the highway, but at WOT it's loud. The raspiness/high pitched sound went nearly away and the note has a more bass to it.
Old 9/27/05, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Yeah... I have magnaflow catbacks on my car and had to bang one of the hangers withe a hammer to get it perfect.

I am getting the MAK o/r x-pipe tomorrow so that's good news!
Old 9/27/05, 03:22 PM
V6 Member

My right SLP Power-Flo axle-back is ever so slightly lower than the left one. I need to take it off and pound the hanger into submission.
Old 9/27/05, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Loosen the clamps at the midpipe and adjust the muffler to where you like it and have someone else tighten the clamp back down on the midpipe.
Old 9/27/05, 03:33 PM
FR500 Member

My Ford Racing ones don't quite line up either, I've tried beating the hangers into submission to no avail. I need to get it on a lift to really take care of it.

I found a local muffler shop that'll hook me up real cheap...
Old 9/27/05, 03:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am going to take it to my friends shop and get it up on a lift. I was getting tired of laying on my back working on the stupid right muffler. I also need to tighten the slip joint clamp with an impact.
Old 9/27/05, 09:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Just fiddle with it a bit. Get it to where you want it and tighten them up!
Old 9/27/05, 10:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mid pipe adjustment is a good place to go after trying to align everything else. My left pipe is about 1/4 inch lower than the right one but that's how it is on my body also!
Old 9/28/05, 12:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GRAYPNY@September 27, 2005, 10:04 PM
Mid pipe adjustment is a good place to go after trying to align everything else. My left pipe is about 1/4 inch lower than the right one but that's how it is on my body also!

Old 11/5/05, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

I got my Magnaflow axlebacks in today. Same story here. The driver's side went in after 30 minutes. No lift or anything. The passenger side went in a little slower because of that hard to access front bolt between the muffler and the body. Getting the stock muffler out was tight there.

Now the darn right muffler sits too high and rests on the top of the bumper just barely. Tried the midpipe adjustment and everything for about 3 hours (no one to help though); tried to use jackstands to hold up the muffler just right but didn't work.

Running out of daylight now. Taking a break. I guess I'm going to have to get someone to help me out. This is a two man job if the alignment isn't right.
Old 11/6/05, 10:29 AM
V6 Member

Okay. I messed around with it again this morning. I'm convinced that the passenger side rear hanger isn't bent quite properly. It's only off 1/2 inch though but enough to be a problem.

I took a different approach this morning. I tightened all the hangers bolts(including the rear two) and then loosened the midpipe bolts and tried to rotate. Didn't work. Then I loosened the clamp at the muffler and tried again. Nope. If I loosened the back two bolts on the muffler and let it fall some then it lined up right. But as soon as I tighten those two bolts its up against the top of the bumper.

For now, I'm just using the top vertial (reference to rear hanger bracket) bolt to hold up the rear hanger and I'm off at least 1/4 inch each way (lateral and vertical) to get the bottom hanger bolt in. Seems sturdy enough with just that one bolt though I'd like to get that other bolt in too.

How did you guys bend the hangers with a hammer without breaking the weld?

I may just end up going to a muffer shop but I hate waiting around or leaving them my car if I could safely resolve this myself. I'm almost there too.

Love the sound of the Magnaflows by the way. Deeper than stock but no noticeable drone.
Old 1/31/06, 09:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just got my Magnaflows today from Ninosport. As far as the alignment issues, I just had a thought...
Has anyone used metal washers under the hanger brackets to shim them down into matching alignment?
Old 1/31/06, 11:51 AM
V6 Member

yeah, when I installed mine I had to have someone help me by holding it in place while I got the midpipe connector adjusted and tightened.
Old 1/31/06, 08:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by GTJeff@January 31, 2006, 12:01 PM
I just got my Magnaflows today from Ninosport. As far as the alignment issues, I just had a thought...
Has anyone used metal washers under the hanger brackets to shim them down into matching alignment?
I tried that trick of using washers. Didn't help in my case. The tailpipe was still to close to the rear valence molding. I used three washers which was about all the bolt could handle. I finally got a 2 ft piece of 1/2 inch pipe and used that to bend the hangers 1/4 inch or so. I had to bend the hanger on one of the Magnaflows and on one of the JBAs to get them to fit (I experimented with both brands of mufflers on sound). The washer trick may work only if you have a very small adjustment.