GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aftermarket Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/07, 11:12 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aftermarket Clutch

What type of aftermarket clutch and flywheel did you go with and how does it compare to stock.

My car is putting down 410 RWHP and 480 RWTQ, Need Clutch Opinions
Old 7/12/07, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

No one has an aftermarket clutch or flywheel???
Old 7/12/07, 10:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a centerforce dual friction clutch and a fidanza aluminum flywheel clutch has very good grip and the engine revvs faster with the aluminum flywheel no complaints here
Old 7/12/07, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

New Mcleod RST clutch. You can either use it with the stock flywheel or an aluminum or steel Mcleod Flywheel. it is a dual disc unit designed to handle up to 900 hp.. pedal is actually lighter than stock as well. it is a awesome unit!
Old 7/13/07, 02:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How difficult is a clutch install on these cars? I'm not really looking to upgrade, but if/when replacement time rolls around I'd like to know if I can do it myself or not.
Old 7/13/07, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
How difficult is a clutch install on these cars? I'm not really looking to upgrade, but if/when replacement time rolls around I'd like to know if I can do it myself or not.
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. Possible, but a total PITA. The tranny tunnel is pretty tight, and it's hard to line up the pilot shaft and clear the tranny tunnel when putting the tranny back on. Also a pain to bleed the clutch. Took me and several ASE certified mechanics over 8 hours to do mine. Total PITA. After you do one, could probably do it again in a couple hours. Mine was the first for all the guys helping me do it. But it's not fun and wouldn't even think of tackling it without a lift and tranny jack. Possible, just not fun unless your idea of fun is poking your eyes with a hot soldering iron.

I have a Spec Stage 3+ and Spec AL flywheel. Very tough to gauge engagement point and you have to manage the rpms perfectly, chatters a lot, lots of gear lash/clutch noise when pedal is not pressed in and car in neutral, and still will slip when power shifting which shouldn't happen with a clutch that's suppossed to hold 800rwhp on a 440rwhp car. Wouldn't recommend it. It does hook a lot better than stock and revs quickly, but I would try the Centerforce and Fidanza if I do it again, or keep the stock as long as possible. Lost a little bit of driveablity and gained a harder to drive clutch.

Put it this way, I've drove stick shift cars for over 20 years, and have had many "competition" or "high performance" clutches, and I stall out at a stoplight in this car about once a week compared to like... almost never with all my other cars. I HATE stalling out, makes you look like a jack a$$.
Old 7/15/07, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've done clutches on several different makes/models without a book (except for torque specs) and would definately give my stang a try.

It might take some time but it's worth the satisfaction value alone!

Get a service manual and go for it.

My last cars clutch was a hydro and when I replaced the clutch I put in an ACT 6 puck unsprung disc and an Extreme PP. The engaugement was on/off, chattered if you didn't get the engagement just right (after that it was quiet) and my left leg ended up being larger than my right over time. Stalling or chirping tires at every light was, eh... at best, entertaining....

My advice;

-no mods that necessitate stronger clutch, get another stock one
-get service manual and do it yourself
Old 7/15/07, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Got a CF dual friction clutch. I stand by that it was the best mod that my car has for overall drivability. I was raised on race clutches and practically learned to drive stick on a race style clutch so I love how they feel. Whenever I get into a stock car from factory I can't stand the clutches.
Old 7/15/07, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Got a CF dual friction clutch. I stand by that it was the best mod that my car has for overall drivability. I was raised on race clutches and practically learned to drive stick on a race style clutch so I love how they feel. Whenever I get into a stock car from factory I can't stand the clutches.
I'm close to replacing the clutch in my car, and am leaning toward the centerforce DF since I've had good experiences with them in the past, and would like to pick your brain for some info if you don't mind:

How's the pedal effort compared to stock with that centerforce DF?

Does it give any more feedback than the stock unit?

Can u reuse the stock flywheel?

And lastly, does it chatter at all? Cause that's the main reason I want a new clutch, I'm getting sick of the chatter with my stock clutch.

Thanks
Old 7/15/07, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
How's the pedal effort compared to stock with that centerforce DF?

Does it give any more feedback than the stock unit?

Can u reuse the stock flywheel?

And lastly, does it chatter at all? Cause that's the main reason I want a new clutch, I'm getting sick of the chatter with my stock clutch.

Thanks
1. Pedal pressure is definatly harder but won't be as hard as clutches with the same rating because of the technology CF uses with the weights on the clutch. Basicly the pedal pressure gets harder and harder as the RPM's increase.

2. I felt like the stock clutch was slushy and I had trouble driving it because of the lack of feedback. I was able to drive the car much smother because of the new clutch and the improved feedback.

3. You can reuse the stock flywheel, I did.

4. Just to give you an idea of what I put the stock clutch through: at 8,000 miles, mine was toast and would chatter like crazy away from stop signs and such. The CF clutch definatly doesn't chatter like that.
Old 7/16/07, 07:58 AM
V6 Member

Thanks guys, this helps a lot. I was leaning towards a spec stage 2+ but now im confused. Im going to look into the centerforce and a light weight flywheel. If anyone else has any input on this topic please post. Thanks again guys.
Old 7/16/07, 08:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
FWIW, when I have to change mine I will either do the Centerforce or just replace with another stock unit. My tuner has had a Spec in their own car, and is not recommending it..... sorry you've had the same problems Brad.
Old 7/16/07, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Centerforce / Fidanza here. Love it!
-Slightly more pedal pressure, 10% maybe.
-Much better feedback.
-I can't make it chatter if I try to.
-Holds everything I am throwing at it.
-Much cheaper than Spec.
Old 7/16/07, 03:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
FWIW, when I have to change mine I will either do the Centerforce or just replace with another stock unit. My tuner has had a Spec in their own car, and is not recommending it..... sorry you've had the same problems Brad.
Thanks for the kind words. That's the way it goes, sometimes a part works, sometimes you have some drawbacks. Out of all my mods, I'd say the Spec has the most drawbacks and I regret it the most. I just wouldn't recommend a Spec with the amount of chatter I've been getting. I should have kept the stocker in for a bit longer, when I took mine out, it looked fine. If it went out today, I'd probably try the Centerforce. Not sure if I can reuse the Spec Al flywheel with the Centerforce, though. Hopefully it won't go out any time soon, though!
Old 7/16/07, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

Cali HP addict, are your using an aluminum flywheel or are light weight steel flywheel.
Correct me if i am wrong, i heard that cars with an aluminum flywheel could create chatter and that your better off going with a light weight steel flywheel, it would feel more like stock.

Which centerforce clutch shuold i look for, any particular options. As i said before im putting 410 RWHP and 480 RWTQ.

Thanks for the help
Old 7/16/07, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

My Mcleod Aluminum flywheel has no chatter of any kind. I think the centerforce stuff is very nice, but I can also say from experience that some of the DF clutches we have tested from Centerforce did not hold up past 425hp...just FYI
Old 7/16/07, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
My Mcleod Aluminum flywheel has no chatter of any kind. I think the centerforce stuff is very nice, but I can also say from experience that some of the DF clutches we have tested from Centerforce did not hold up past 425hp...just FYI
How did they fail? Mine was working fine with 402rwhp/470rwtq with 5k rpm launches on drag radials...
Old 7/16/07, 09:24 PM
GT Member

Im not real happy with my SPEC3+, especially after the whole snapped input shaft incident..... not very driveable. Wife refuses to drive it, had to go buy her new 07 gt vert.....turn out to be a 36,000$ clutch....
Old 7/16/07, 11:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jizabel
Im not real happy with my SPEC3+, especially after the whole snapped input shaft incident..... not very driveable. Wife refuses to drive it, had to go buy her new 07 gt vert.....turn out to be a 36,000$ clutch....
I missed your snapped input shaft incident, what happened?
Old 7/17/07, 05:04 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I missed your snapped input shaft incident, what happened?
snapped it shifting from 3rd to 4th (1:1), POWER SHIFTING with about 500 miles on the clutch. The Spec3+ doesn't loosen up till about 1200-1500 miles. Plus the TR3650 is a POS...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Clutch