GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aftermarket.....after thought.....

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/05 | 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Wondering if anyone else is questioning some of the aftermarket items available for the 05 and now 06's.

Case in point.....I pulled my previous CAI off the other day to replace it with the WMS high velocity intake. When I flipped the CAI over I noted a sizeable rub mark from where it sat next to the power steering reservoir. It rubbed thru the paint and into the white plastic of the tube. No damage to the cap on the reservoir or the reservoir itself, just the tube of the CAI. It was only on the car for a month and a half and about 300 miles total. The plastic protective sleeve, supplied with the CAI that covered the upper radiator hose, was also noticieably worn....I wonder just how long it would of lasted before it rubbed thru and started to rub on the lower rad. hose.

I since then have half way installed the WMS intake and noted the replacement hose they provide to the radiator overflow tank sits right on top of the power steering hose, another possible rub situation......

Maybe I'm just **** about the install of some of these new aftermarket products, but it kind of seems if your expecting them to last a good while you have to really make sure everything is protected or supported, and also maybe do some of your own engineering to compensate for install oversights..... The CAI was basically designed to just lay on top of the power steering reservoir and upper radiator hose.....I wondered about wear when I installed it, and it looks like it should of been addressed with a better solution insteasd of going with what was provided.

hags1
Old 10/12/05 | 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think with any new new production vehicle there will be issues with aftermarket parts just like there are issues with the original vehicle. Ultimately, length of use is the best test of how well built and compatible an aftermarket part will be. I think if you're looking to go aftermarket and are looking for the best bargain/longevity, it's best to wait and let other people be the 'lab mice.'

If you're positive you installed the original CAI correctly and there was no warning or directions on how to prevent rubbing, I'd contact the manufacturer and ask for a refund.
Old 10/12/05 | 04:56 PM
GT Member

I think that the bottom line is that the major car manufacturers spend heavily on research and development.They have the time,resources and of course the money to do this intesive research on their products,where many of the aftermarket companies simply dont have that kind of resources to tap into.So they develop a product,mount it on a test mule and rush into production.They need to recoup their investment as quick as possible.
Some of the larger aftermarket companies are in cahoots with the OEM and can spend time together developing products such as Steeda,Saleen,Roush etc...
Its best to stick with the big names (usually) to get the best products that are tested properly and provide a warranty.