GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

60HP with Heads and Cams from BBR!?

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/06, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60HP with Heads and Cams from BBR!?

I'm a little suprised here, I picked up the August issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, and I see on the cover "60 HP 4.6 3V Swap"

I go straight to the article and read it, and according to BBR or Blow By Racing
www.blowbyracing.com that using their CNC ported heads and camshafts with simple bolt ons, and a tune they were able to 351hp and torque to 336.

I was never planning on any forced induction, and as I wanted more power than just an intake and tune, I am interested in this $2000 set-up if it does hook up this type of power.

Peruse the BBR website, they make claims similar and greater here under their product descriptions

http://www.blowbyracing.com/engine.html

Thanks
Fitz
Old 7/4/06, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

*Note:
Dyno Graph 351 hp / 336 tq
BBR 3V Heads-stock valvetrain), BBR Stage 1 Camshafts, JLT CAI, Stock exhaust manifolds, BBR offroad X-pipe, & SCT Xcal 2 Tuner
From their website...
Old 7/4/06, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

using their race/track cams which are Stage 2, they claim

With our stage 2 street/strip camshaft, BBR heads, BBR custom SCT tuning and basic bolt-ons we have seen an average of 375-385 rwhp.
**All tuning done with 93 octane pump gas and Dyno'ed on a dyno jet.**
Old 7/4/06, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe there are still people out there that don't know about BBR's shady reputation (and I'm being very kind here).

Caveat Emptor says me...
Old 7/4/06, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

yay more threads
Old 7/4/06, 09:33 PM
Cobra Member

I have heard horror stories about BBR from people I trust...They will never see any of my cash.
Old 7/4/06, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

does mm&ff do any of their own dyno testing, or is the vendor's word good enough for them?

Last month they "tested" the Whipple s/c... and the dynosheet had Whipple letterhead on it, as though it were lifted directly from the website.
Old 7/4/06, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I had no idea about BBR reputation, where did you guys suggest to look for alternatives to BBR?
Old 7/5/06, 12:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you want just power, I would look into a nice set of Comp Cams from Doug @ www.bamachips.com and some nice ported heads from somebody else.

BBR has a bad rep which is a long story.... but I bought their cams anyway, but im tired and dont feel like going into detail on why yet again, very sorry, so do a search on here for the other cam threads, and you will see my reasoning. They have been good to me so far, I have my cams here next to me, but they arent on the car yet.
Old 7/5/06, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Power is my main concern, I will look around and see what I like. I hear only good things about Doug
Old 7/5/06, 06:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
does mm&ff do any of their own dyno testing, or is the vendor's word good enough for them?

Last month they "tested" the Whipple s/c... and the dynosheet had Whipple letterhead on it, as though it were lifted directly from the website.

Let me give you a little info on MM&FF's articles...

When you see something featured or a big spread about something other then a personal car turn the pages until you find their advertisment. Usually the bigger the ad the bigger the article. About the only place that I see them use regularly that isn't a huge advertiser is Modular Depot, and I've know Ken there and I trust anything that comes from as they are some of the best guys I know in the Modular parts game.

thanks, Doug.
Old 7/5/06, 06:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Doug904

When you see something featured or a big spread about something other then a personal car turn the pages until you find their advertisment. Usually the bigger the ad the bigger the article. About the only place that I see them use regularly that isn't a huge advertiser is Modular Depot, and I've know Ken there and I trust anything that comes from as they are some of the best guys I know in the Modular parts game.

t
hanks, Doug.
Doug, do you think a set of aftermarket cams, LTs, CAI, and the appropriate tune(your tune) could achieve a 350 rw #?
Old 7/5/06, 07:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Test Car... the LNR car...
Guy was on this site and pretty much all the others...spammed them with numbers (basically copy and pasted the thread from one site ot the next on what his car got)

When he was called out by FourCam, who even would pay for the dyno at a 3rd party... made every excuse in the book.
I seem to remember something about him spouting those numbers off saying he was't offiliated with them etc etc, and found out he was

Buyer Beware
Old 7/5/06, 07:20 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The original thread if I am not mistaken....

This was pretty much what was on each mustang forum from here, to Stangnet to SVTPerformance....and started on the Corall

It's long, but it will state what happened...and why BBR is kinda..shady.

Probably have to login to see the Corall one. It has the WHOLE callout etc.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...=707198&page=1

The SVT one is shorter...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...&highlight=BBR
Old 7/5/06, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

thanks, Doug.
Hey Doug did you ever get your custom comp cam in your car and get some tunes hashed out???
Old 7/5/06, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok....I have the stick now wheres the horse?
Old 7/5/06, 04:49 PM
GT Member

thanks, Doug.
Yeah Ken is the man with mod motors. Glad he is local and works on mine.
Old 7/5/06, 05:19 PM

It's funny to see their hp claims above. Originally, they were touting 400rwhp with their setup. I guess 400 was too much wool to pull over everyone's eyes.
As well, they are regrinds, not solids like you could get from Comp. If you're doing a poweradder down the road, I would hold out on the cams. A different pulley on a S/C or turning up the boost on a T/C could make up for anything you could gain from cams alone. Cams are more effective with a poweradder if they are specific to that poweradder. IMO, it's still a bit too early for cams for the S197. It would be nice to see a competitor come out with a set before taking that plunge.
Old 7/5/06, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree 100%, David, but BBR does also sell billitt solids in addition to the regrinds.

However I am a sucker for the rough idle, and I decided to test these out.
Old 7/6/06, 09:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 169stang
It's funny to see their hp claims above. Originally, they were touting 400rwhp with their setup. I guess 400 was too much wool to pull over everyone's eyes.
I was just about to say the same thing. But these new numbers seem to be a bit more realistic.

Quick Reply: 60HP with Heads and Cams from BBR!?