GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

4.6 Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/08 | 03:10 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

4.6 Stroker

Ok guys, the questions have been pouring in I can hardly keep up, i'm happy to answer any questions but i'm going to give everyone a rough idea of what this involves. We'll start with a parts list:

BBK Intake - $290-350
BBK Throttle body - $300
BBK Under drive pulleys - $250
ported and polished heads - Huntsville Automotive
custom ground Crane cams - Call $800 +-
Eagle stroker kit w/Eagle Armor - Starts at $2200, check suppliers for current pricing
BBK Long tube ceramic coated headers - $470-550
BBK x-pipe w/after market integrated cats - $440
Magnaflow Magna-pack exhaust w/2 3/4" mid pipes - $550
Zoom twin disc clutch, Zoom aluminum flywheel, & pressure plate - $880-1200
Pro 5.0 Short throw shifter - $290
Fidanza 1 piece chrome moly drive shaft $600+
Pro Urethane Bullet motor mounts - $170
Xcalibrator 3 Tuner w/custom BB&T Racing tune - Module - $300, tune depends on your shop

Well i'm going to be completely honest with you guys, just so you know. When it comes to costs, this was a project for Eagle (first 07+ with a 4.6 stroker) and so cost wasn't really where I came in besides buying the car and testing it.Huntsville Automotive did the head work, very reputable shop, and they flow better than the ones you can buy from what they said. I'm sure price has changed anyways so best bet is to call/shop around. http://www.bbandtracing.com/ My guys, located right outside of Memphis, TN.

Cams I would just say for a ball park quote a comp stage3 or something similar, you can also call any cam manufacturer and they will cut one to your specific application (such as if you wanted to go with a blower, the cam would be different than if you want a high hp n/a car)
http://www.huntsvilleengine.com/

Hours is another story, my car was a work in progress for exactly 12 months and 1 day, BUT this is so that we could know what to tell customers when it comes to this project I can walk you through all our problems and save you from our mistakes. You could realistically do this in steps, the biggest thing would be your block work.

When it comes to that, here's what I can say: FIND A REPUTABLE SHOP, I'm not sure where your from but I can recommend a great place in Memphis lol. The main thing will be having it bored/honed that's your cost. What I would recommend but can't assume because I'm not sure how willing you are to do a lot of this yourself, is that you pull the motor and test fit the kit before you take it to a shop. My kit required no clearancing BUT every block is just a little bit different. This way you can know whether or not the shop is trying to screw you over. A good shop will usually have a 3 week turn around on something like that. The rest realistically you could do yourself except for a good dyno tune. You would also need to talk to the shop on this though, if they are willing to work with you and get a rough tune set up where you can drive it to the shop it would be ideal, if not you'll have to do what we did and get it towed to their shop for tuning.

I know for the most part the Eagle kits don't require clearancing but that is a rule, there are always exceptions. This kit IMO (because i'm not bias at all) is the only way to go. I've seen the MMR shortblocks and other things similar but i'm unimpressed, and why give up a good aluminum block you've already paid for? I also can say that the 4340 rotating assembly with a simple ARP bolt upgrade Eagle offers is rated at 1,500hp if i'm not mistaken (1000 w/o the upgrade)
and if you did go this route I would kick you if you didn't get the Armor that I mentioned earlier (polished gained 17 rwhp by just polishing a ring and pinion) so this is something I can recommend from first hand experience.

I'm sure i'll think of more, if I missed something point it out and i'll be sure to get back to it I love getting people that are interested in this I think it has so much untapped potential.

Now, I know for a fact this is for 07+ Mustangs but I can't speak for 05-06, you HAVE to use cam phasers (Comp Cams now offers them, saw a BBR kit for around $60) If you do not, don't do this kit. Take it from someone who had to replace 2 pistons and some valves, start with them. This is something we had to discover on our own, so let me save you some money.

Another problem we've had is with the TB, it throws codes when I run it really hard and we still haven't figured out what's causing it. I've heard that the spring is too stiff from N/A applications but who knows, i'll update if we find the problem. It's almost to the point where i'm either going to replace it (possibly with a GT500 TB) or just go back to stock, but I don't want to go back to stock.

Price

Roughly $7,500 - 9k
There's a lot of room for variables here, and you could already have a lot of this purchased such as exhaust could knock off 1500+, cai another 300, tb, etc, so its comparable with a blown application if you can find someone to do reasonably priced block work.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3035476

And that's all i've got for now guys let me know with any feedback i'll be happy to answer any questions or help if I can.
Old 9/24/08 | 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Wonderful! Never knew a stroker was so rare in a community full of Stangs!
Thanks for all the info!
Old 9/24/08 | 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Also, did you do springs/retainers with your cams?
Old 9/24/08 | 03:16 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Lol once you have one you realize it, and no problem hope it helps some of yall.
Old 9/24/08 | 03:17 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by officespace56
Also, did you do springs/retainers with your cams?
And you could, I didn't, mines not a very radical cut so it wasn't necessary. I would think that it could only help definitely couldn't hurt.
Old 9/24/08 | 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
BBK Throttle body - $300

Another problem we've had is with the TB, it throws codes when I run it really hard and we still haven't figured out what's causing it.
You answered your own question. Use the BBK POS for a doorstop and put the stock one back on. The stock TB works fine for any NA application, and virtually all centri or turbo applications, and any twin screw/roots situation up to about 12psi.
Old 9/24/08 | 04:34 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by don_w
You answered your own question. Use the BBK POS for a doorstop and put the stock one back on. The stock TB works fine for any NA application, and virtually all centri or turbo applications, and any twin screw/roots situation up to about 12psi.
I've seen where it shows gains out of radical strokers, mine isn't radical but I still would like to figure out what's wrong before throwing the money away. Appreciate the input though
Old 9/24/08 | 05:13 PM
Service Manager

We've removed aftermarket throttle bodies as well due to surge and tuning issues. Stock works fine over 525RWHP so far and we're about to go higher so we'll see how it does.....we have just put together a 3V stroker here
Old 9/24/08 | 05:17 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by svopaul
We've removed aftermarket throttle bodies as well due to surge and tuning issues. Stock works fine over 525RWHP so far and we're about to go higher so we'll see how it does.....we have just put together a 3V stroker here
Congrats man. Have to let me know how it turns out for ya, I got lucky with mine but absolutely love it.

As far as the TB issues, i've said it before I know it has problems but I just hate throwing away my money like that. I've got a few more things we decided to try and if they don't work, they don't work but at least I tried. Maybe I could get paid by BBK for trouble shooting it
Old 9/24/08 | 05:17 PM
GT Member

EVERYONE has had problems with the BBK TB since day one! Everyone knows they are a POS!! Stick with the stocker, you'll be fine!
Old 9/24/08 | 05:21 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Lol for sure, I found another company that makes them, but only sells to big names. They were willing to deal a little but i'm afraid it just won't be worth it
Old 9/24/08 | 06:20 PM

So now you're worried about wasting the $300 on a BBK TB + the $$ for the tune? Are you sure your 415 isn't an estimate of Flywheel HP?
Old 9/24/08 | 06:32 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

I don't like to waste things, it's paid for why not try to use it? Cut me a break guys i'm not ignorant, its est a little over 500 at the flywheel. And the money for the tune doesn't really matter, they are working with me trying to get it fixed but there's no sense in wasting time, I look around and try to find a few solutions, and they'll put it on the dyno for a day and try some different things.

Last edited by EagleStroker; 9/24/08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 9/24/08 | 09:19 PM

Cut me a break guys i'm not ignorant
Maybe not, but you seem to be the only one who hasn't known about the TB issues. They have been a problem for at least three years.

If you really want to go big, get the Black Diamond monoblade from Whipple. I just replaced my stocker with that the "little" version (only 1600cfm).
Old 9/24/08 | 09:26 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by don_w
Maybe not, but you seem to be the only one who hasn't known about the TB issues. They have been a problem for at least three years.

If you really want to go big, get the Black Diamond monoblade from Whipple. I just replaced my stocker with that the "little" version (only 1600cfm).
No i've known about the issues, to little to late found out after I bought it. Which i've had it for a year and a half, should of done more hw on it. And how much does the Black Diamond run?
Old 9/24/08 | 09:29 PM

No i've known about the issues, to little to late found out after I bought it. Which i've had it for a year and a half, should of done more hw on it. And how much does the Black Diamond run?
I really don't know what they sell them retail for. I got mine through "channels", so what I paid is not relevant.
Old 9/24/08 | 09:30 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Gotcha, I tried :/ i'll figure something out
Old 9/24/08 | 10:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mister Roper
Are you sure your 415 isn't an estimate of Flywheel HP?
Hey dude, didn't you read the issue of MM & FF a few months ago? Jim III's car was in there, for a story on Cams. His car with pretty much the same mods (stroker, heads, cams, among other items), put out 401rwhp. So I think his numbers are on par. The difference could very well be the Armour Polish he said that gained some extra power.

Robert, thanks for the PM and for the new thread. VERY informative!!! I'm gonna go dream about this setup in my car now (meaning I can't do any of this right now )
Old 9/24/08 | 10:51 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey dude, didn't you read the issue of MM & FF a few months ago? Jim III's car was in there, for a story on Cams. His car with pretty much the same mods (stroker, heads, cams, among other items), put out 401rwhp. So I think his numbers are on par. The difference could very well be the Armour Polish he said that gained some extra power.

Robert, thanks for the PM and for the new thread. VERY informative!!! I'm gonna go dream about this setup in my car now (meaning I can't do any of this right now )
Man THANK YOU! At least someone backs me on this. And I really think the polish made a difference, I told you my ring and pinion example. But anywho, haters will hate, only takes one guy to prove it can be done

And don't mention it it's what I do, love this stuff, live for this stuff lol. I went ahead and made this because of all the questions I was gettin hit up with, figured I might as well take a few and help everybody that was curious out.

Last edited by EagleStroker; 9/24/08 at 10:54 PM.
Old 9/24/08 | 11:28 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ang/index.html

Found it, and he's only at 298 c.i. but is running an 11:1 compression

Quick Reply: 4.6 Stroker