GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

39# injectors, 90mm MAF, BAP for FI?

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/05, 10:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought the upgraded Saleen twin screw unit. I'm planning on getting a custom dyno tune for it. I want it tuned to around 400 rwhp, but really I'm just going to ask the tuner to tune it to whatever the car wants to make safely.

I've been reading around the internet and people seem to think that if you're going with a dyno tune, that 39# injectors and a 90 mm MAF are great upgrades that can allow for more power to be made *safely* by the dyno tune.

So I have a few questions...
1) What injectors do I look for on ebay? Any 39 lb sn95 Cobra injectors? Or only 99-04 sn95 Cobra 39 lb injectors?
2) What kind of 90mm MAF works in an 05? An SVT Lightning MAF? Does it matter that I have a K&N intake?
3) I read that larger injectors are useless without a pump that can supply the pressure. Is our stock pump cabable of supplying the 39 pounders throughout the RPM range on an FI application? Is a new fuel pump necessary? How about that boost-a-pump thing?

Is all this stuff really necessary for only 400 rwhp? What if I want to get between 425 and 450 rwhp, then is it necessary?

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 12/26/05, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, I would definitely go for the upgrades: 39# injectors, 90mm MAF and the BAP (yes, it works fine for at least 450rwhp, if not more). You didn't say what pulley psi you are considering, but even if you stay around 400rwhp, these upgrades will help keep fuel to the engine. The last thing you want to do is run out of fuel at high rpms and go lean. Better safe than sorry (which can be expensive). Also, contact JDM Engineering about a package deal on all these items (and even a baseline tune if you want). I'm pretty sure they can help you out.
Old 12/26/05, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was just going to stick with the pulley that came with the kit...which makes me wonder even more if these upgrades are necessary...?

Also, I was going to try to pick up these items on ebay...do you think that will save me a considerable amount than buying them via the package from JDM?
Old 12/26/05, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

1) The 39# injectors come stock on 03-04 Cobras. SVTPerformance.com's market forum usually has a few sets up for sale.

2) dunno, sorry

3) The stock pump can handle pushing enough fuel for 400-425 rwhp.
Old 12/26/05, 05:30 PM
GT Member

clockworks, here is my plan:

stick with the stock setup for awhile, and wait for the new MAF on the 07 Shelby to come out, and then grab that up. The current larger MAF's, like the Lightning kit, require some modification. I am hoping that the 07 kit does not. I have the 04 cobra injectors in my closet, those are going on the same time. As far as a tune, I hope to use ST Motorsports, the same guys who are doing Don W's car. As far as the fuel pump, I am similarly going to wait to see what solution the 07 cobra provides OR going with a BAP.
Old 12/26/05, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

1) only 03-04 cobra injectors. they are longer and skinner than previous injectiors that you may see in magazine ads for cheap.

2)steeda has a MAF setup but i don't like it cause your using the same stock rubber tube. C&L has there new "racer" cold air setup looks nice and priced at $299 for the tube and filter and heat sheild. I am working with tunable inductions for a cold air setup I think he will be sending a 90mm out for trial fit. Hopefully tomorrow I should get it tuned in the next week or so.

3)I've heard 425rwhp is ok anything higher you will be pushing it. correct me if I'm wrong but it's a 255lt/hr pump.

p.s. the injector I go on ebay from a guy that upgraded his blower after supposedly 7000miles and I got them for $100 shipped.
Old 12/26/05, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by pmcarlino@December 26, 2005, 6:54 PM
I am working with tunable inductions for a cold air setup I think he will be sending a 90mm out for trial fit. Hopefully tomorrow I should get it tuned in the next week or so.

p.s. the injector I go on ebay from a guy that upgraded his blower after supposedly 7000miles and I got them for $100 shipped.
hey pmcarlino, i was also in contact with John De Molet of tunable induction, I can't wait to use his intake. let me know how it works out.

i got my injectors brand spanking new for 160 off ebay btw.
Old 12/26/05, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by svt boost@December 26, 2005, 6:33 PM
clockworks, here is my plan:

stick with the stock setup for awhile, and wait for the new MAF on the 07 Shelby to come out, and then grab that up. The current larger MAF's, like the Lightning kit, require some modification. I am hoping that the 07 kit does not. I have the 04 cobra injectors in my closet, those are going on the same time. As far as a tune, I hope to use ST Motorsports, the same guys who are doing Don W's car. As far as the fuel pump, I am similarly going to wait to see what solution the 07 cobra provides OR going with a BAP.
Sounds like a good plan, I might follow suit.

About the tune, are going with a mail order tune from ST Motorsport, or do you live close to their shop?
Old 12/26/05, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Madhouse@December 26, 2005, 2:02 PM
1) The 39# injectors come stock on 03-04 Cobras. SVTPerformance.com's market forum usually has a few sets up for sale.

2) dunno, sorry

3) The stock pump can handle pushing enough fuel for 400-425 rwhp.
Hey Madhouse...did you get my PM?
Old 12/26/05, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by clockworks@December 26, 2005, 7:50 PM
Sounds like a good plan, I might follow suit.

About the tune, are going with a mail order tune from ST Motorsport, or do you live close to their shop?
I live around 100 miles from their shop.
Old 12/26/05, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Blazing Saddles@December 26, 2005, 8:52 PM
It may support that much HP on paper, but in reality it will only support 380 RWHP.
I agree with George. I am 415 rwhp and my pump is down to about 31psi. The injectors are supplying enough fuel to keep from going lean but I am at my stock pump limit I believe.
Old 12/26/05, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by clockworks@December 26, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, I just bought the upgraded Saleen twin screw unit. I'm planning on getting a custom dyno tune for it. I want it tuned to around 400 rwhp, but really I'm just going to ask the tuner to tune it to whatever the car wants to make safely.

I've been reading around the internet and people seem to think that if you're going with a dyno tune, that 39# injectors and a 90 mm MAF are great upgrades that can allow for more power to be made *safely* by the dyno tune.

So I have a few questions...
1) What injectors do I look for on ebay? Any 39 lb sn95 Cobra injectors? Or only 99-04 sn95 Cobra 39 lb injectors?
2) What kind of 90mm MAF works in an 05? An SVT Lightning MAF? Does it matter that I have a K&N intake?
3) I read that larger injectors are useless without a pump that can supply the pressure. Is our stock pump cabable of supplying the 39 pounders throughout the RPM range on an FI application? Is a new fuel pump necessary? How about that boost-a-pump thing?

Is all this stuff really necessary for only 400 rwhp? What if I want to get between 425 and 450 rwhp, then is it necessary?

Thanks for the help, everyone.
1. Previous posts have answered your question

2. The K&N won't work with a 90mm MAF. I use the Steeda CAI with the 90MM MAF housing, stock MAF and the stock rubber tube. If you don't want to go with high boost (8 or above) the stock MAF will work for your application.

3. Answered previously.

I have the Saleen S/C running about 6.5lbs of boost. I originally had the stock pulley and maxed out at 380 rwhp but changed the pulley to my current number.

Will
Old 12/26/05, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

How do yall feel about the Kenne Bell boost-a-pump thing? Easy to way to save a few bucks, or kinda a gimmicky thing that should avoided?

Would 39lb injectors combined with the BAP be enough to solve the fuel problem up to 425 rwhp?

I guess no one can say for sure until they try it out and have the car on a dyno and all, but what would yall speculate?
Old 12/26/05, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Will, sorry if you've written this all before somewhere, but can you tell me your setup and how long you have been running at those numbers? 415 rwhp is right in the range I want to be in. Where did you get the pulley to do 6.5 lbs of boost? Do you feel you are currently running safely or would you change some stuff? You mentioned that you think your stock pump is at it's limit, do you feel comfortable running "at the limit" or would you prefer to beef up your system (assuming you want to stay at 415 rwhp)?
Old 12/26/05, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by clockworks@December 26, 2005, 10:43 PM
Will, sorry if you've written this all before somewhere, but can you tell me your setup and how long you have been running at those numbers? 415 rwhp is right in the range I want to be in. Where did you get the pulley to do 6.5 lbs of boost? Do you feel you are currently running safely or would you change some stuff? You mentioned that you think your stock pump is at it's limit, do you feel comfortable running "at the limit" or would you prefer to beef up your system (assuming you want to stay at 415 rwhp)?
Current setup - Saleen S/C, 39# injectors, Steeda CAI, 90mm MAF housing with stock MAF.

I got the pulley from JDM, it is a 8lb pulley but I only see 6.5lbs of boost.

When I had it tuned I had it tuned for a safe 11.5 A/F throughout the pull.

I feel comfortable at the limit of my pump because I am not always at that limit, I am only pushing my fuel pump at the end of the rpm range.

To answer your other post the BAP will resolve the fuel issue of a stock shortblock I believe. Personally I don't want to go for bigger numbers on my stock block. I do want to go higher eventually but I have not decided on what route to take as far as engines go.

Will
Old 12/26/05, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is what I am doing and would recommend for you:

1. Get the 39lb injectors
2. Get a Diablosport MAFia so you can adjust it.
3. Get a KB Boost a Pump.

I am installing a ProCharger and my goal is 425rwhp. The ProCharger includes the 39lb injectors and their rebranded boost-a-pump. I ordered the MAFia seperately and feel its necesary because of post I have read. Once I am on the dyno we will be able to see if it is necessary. I also purchased a Steeda PCV oil seperator. I am not sure if it's something you would need with your setup, but it will help in mine.

Just my 2 cents after lots of research.

Jon
Old 12/26/05, 10:48 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MyFastGT@December 26, 2005, 10:17 PM
Current setup - Saleen S/C, 39# injectors, Steeda CAI, 90mm MAF housing with stock MAF.

I got the pulley from JDM, it is a 8lb pulley but I only see 6.5lbs of boost.

When I had it tuned I had it tuned for a safe 11.5 A/F throughout the pull.

I feel comfortable at the limit of my pump because I am not always at that limit, I am only pushing my fuel pump at the end of the rpm range.

To answer your other post the BAP will resolve the fuel issue of a stock shortblock I believe. Personally I don't want to go for bigger numbers on my stock block. I do want to go higher eventually but I have not decided on what route to take as far as engines go.

Will
wonder why you are only seeing 6.5lbs of boost, whay is your exhaust setup? I wonder what the calculations are for the twin screw blower etc, and if they are correct for the 8lb pulley.
Old 12/27/05, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by svt boost@December 27, 2005, 12:51 AM
wonder why you are only seeing 6.5lbs of boost, whay is your exhaust setup? I wonder what the calculations are for the twin screw blower etc, and if they are correct for the 8lb pulley.
I have an x-pipe with high flow cats but that should not make much of a difference in boost.

The pulley is the 3.6 and it is supposed to be an 8lb pulley but it is not on my car. I have spoken to others who see 7 or so but not 8 usually. The bypass is adjusted correcly but I feel safe at my current power level so 6.5 is good.

Will
Old 1/2/06, 08:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clockworks@December 26, 2005, 7:50 PM
Hey Madhouse...did you get my PM?
I did, but I answered you on ModularFords instead, I'm not here on TMS much anymore.

Quick Reply: 39# injectors, 90mm MAF, BAP for FI?