GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which 3' Driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/07, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which 3' Driveshaft?

I'm searching for a lighter driveshaft for my 07 GT. As I was studiing this forum I learned about the problems a 4' shaft could bring. And I'm afraid that I will get problems when I start to install it. I wanna do this by myself...is this possible to install with commomn garage tools?

So I decided to choose a 3' driveshaft but I'm not sure which supplier to choose. Can you tell me which driveshaft you would advise?

Thx.

Greetings from germany.

Florian
Old 3/5/07, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

This is the one I went with.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html/ford_mustang.html
Old 3/5/07, 09:14 AM
V6 Member

And were there any problems with clearance ? Did you install it by yourself? Experiences? Tips?
Old 3/5/07, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

Hasn't arrived yet. When I get it, I'll have full writeups. From what I have read, you should be able to do it yourself (I'm planning on it). Only thing I think you should have other than the common garage tools is a torque wrench, although a lot of people have those also. There should be no clearance issues with a 3" shaft, since it is the same diameter as the stock piece.
Old 3/5/07, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Call the driveshaft shop and speak with Frank. He makes a very nice 3" shaft for our cars that works great. We have tested it out with great results and no issues whatsoever. Tell him Chris from B&M referred you and you may get a nice deal on one...
Old 3/5/07, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by freebass55
Hasn't arrived yet. When I get it, I'll have full writeups. From what I have read, you should be able to do it yourself (I'm planning on it). Only thing I think you should have other than the common garage tools is a torque wrench, although a lot of people have those also. There should be no clearance issues with a 3" shaft, since it is the same diameter as the stock piece.
Yeah...I waiting for your write...would be great!!!

@subzero
Thanks a lot...there I'll start the next conversation...and try to get Infos an perhaps a good deal. What's the web adress of the driveshaft shop?
Old 3/5/07, 01:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My Denny's DS is in the mail. I'll post about it after I install it.
Old 3/5/07, 01:58 PM
Cobra Member

www.driveshaftshop.com
Old 3/5/07, 04:02 PM

You gotta call these guys cause they don't have a good web site
http://www.psiperformance.net/
Got mine from them for $460.00 to my door and Im in NJ
Old 3/5/07, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by scramblr
My Denny's DS is in the mail. I'll post about it after I install it.
That Denny's shaft looks great...... nice choice my man!
Old 3/5/07, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor

Every time we've sold Denny's shaft, people have loved it! That will work out nicely for you! They're a great company!

That whole thing just didn't sound right!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/5/07, 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I thought the same thing as I typed my reply..... um, uh, yep sure did.
Old 3/6/07, 06:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

So the debate in my head is Denny' 3" steel DS vs. a 3.5" or 4" Aluminum one. My goal here is too minimize that whole inertia, rotating mass thing. Does the 3" shaft have less inertia even though it is a little bit heavier than the larger diameter Aluminum shafts?!? Are we talked about such a minor difference at this point that is doesn't really matter??

I'm only lowered about 1" in the rear so I'm not too worried about the fitment issues. My plan is to bolt on as much as possible staying N/A, including cams, and eventually Nitrous.

Also, this thread title asks which 3" shaft. Is there more than one kind (Denny's) out there?
Old 3/6/07, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor

With the 4" shaft, it's lighter than any other out there (16 lbs), and is still stable because of the diameter at critical speed.

If the 4" aluminum doesnt have any problems with clearance (which you wont with that drop, or even another .5" or so) that will be your best decision!

Coast 4" Aluminum Driveshaft... of course I'm going to push my own product the most. HOWEVER, it GENUINELY is an AWESOME product, and I'm steering you the right way by pushing this product over the other ones I (or somebody else) could sell you.

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 3/6/07, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

Can't wait to read the writeups...
Old 3/6/07, 12:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if this is an appropriate question for this thread but here goes. With the Mustang having a fairly short coupled drive shaft, why didn't Ford or after market vendors consider a double Cardan joint in the driveshaft like the 80's and 90's Broncos? This would eliminate a lot of the pinion angle problems with lowered suspensions.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
Old 4/15/07, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Every time we've sold Denny's shaft, people have loved it! That will work out nicely for you! They're a great company!

That whole thing just didn't sound right!

CR
Tillman Speed
Tillman, for lowered cars, what did you set the pinion angles at? I have a Denny's and we set the pinion angles to the stock angles and I am getting vibrations at 75mph+. Any suggestions as to what to set the angle to? I have a CHE double adjustable UCA.
Old 4/15/07, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cobra4548
Tillman, for lowered cars, what did you set the pinion angles at? I have a Denny's and we set the pinion angles to the stock angles and I am getting vibrations at 75mph+. Any suggestions as to what to set the angle to? I have a CHE double adjustable UCA.
With both the Coast and Denny's driveshaft, they should operate properly at stock pinion angle specs (up to about 1.5" of drop). Anywhere between 2.7 - 3.0 should not have vibration issues. If your Denny's driveshaft is within these specs and you're still having vibration issues, the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe within the adaptor, or the shaft itself is out of balance. If the shaft itself is out of balance, that could be an issue.

We've only had one real problem with the Coast aluminum driveshaft, and when he reinstalled, he found the adapter plate must not have been bolted on properly. His pinion angle was out to 3.4, and he still had no vibration issues until 90+ mph. He said he was going to adjust the pinion angle, and I'm sure now the driveshaft doesn't vibrate at all. This could have been what happened as the design of the Denny's adapter plate is similar?

Either way, it may just be the nature of the steel driveshaft without a teflon coated spline stub? I would start with the pinion adapter, and make sure it was a clean install... and if you have exhausted the adjustment of the pinion angle, we can only assume the shaft is out of balance.

Good luck, once everything is cleared up, you'll LOVE the way the vehicle responds!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
Old 4/15/07, 11:31 PM
V6 Member

I have the Coast Alum Driveshaft 4" and have no issues. I would highly recommend it. I dropped .2 from my 1/8 mile time when I had it installed.
Old 4/16/07, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
With both the Coast and Denny's driveshaft, they should operate properly at stock pinion angle specs (up to about 1.5" of drop). Anywhere between 2.7 - 3.0 should not have vibration issues. If your Denny's driveshaft is within these specs and you're still having vibration issues, the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe within the adaptor, or the shaft itself is out of balance. If the shaft itself is out of balance, that could be an issue.

We've only had one real problem with the Coast aluminum driveshaft, and when he reinstalled, he found the adapter plate must not have been bolted on properly. His pinion angle was out to 3.4, and he still had no vibration issues until 90+ mph. He said he was going to adjust the pinion angle, and I'm sure now the driveshaft doesn't vibrate at all. This could have been what happened as the design of the Denny's adapter plate is similar?

Either way, it may just be the nature of the steel driveshaft without a teflon coated spline stub? I would start with the pinion adapter, and make sure it was a clean install... and if you have exhausted the adjustment of the pinion angle, we can only assume the shaft is out of balance.

Good luck, once everything is cleared up, you'll LOVE the way the vehicle responds!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-3711
I guess I should have been a little more clear in my original post. I have the Eiback Pro lowering kit, all 4 springs. We installed the new 1 pc. and used the stock pinion angles as measured before we took the old 2 pc off the car. Any ideas as to which direction I should take the angle? Right now it is at 3.5 down. Should I go more towards 0? I get vibration at around 65 mph+. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Which 3' Driveshaft?