GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

2007 Mustang Flowmaster Issues!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/06, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Another thing that I can't help but think is that the ring clamp supplied with the Flowmaster kit needs to be positioned so that one ring on the clamp is on one side of the alignment stub and the other ring, of the same clamp, sits on the other side of the alignment stub. I didn't try it but I can't help but think this. This way when you sock down the exhaust clamp the cut out for the alignment stub on the flowmater pipe will compress in somewhat.......It's possible...... The directions with the Flowmaster kit don't actually say where to position the clamp......Anyone try or do this????
Old 8/9/06, 06:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The alignment stub should goes between the metal "wires" of the clamps. The end of the clamp should be at the very end of the muffler. There's a picture somewhere on this site that shows this... Just do a "Flowmaster" search and you'll find the picture if needed. I saw the example and it looked pretty easy. This has been an issue with the 05s and 06s as well. Try it and let me know. I have a new set of Flows in the basement awaiting delivery on of my 07.
Old 8/9/06, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep...That's how I set mine up the second time and worked like a charm!!!
Old 8/9/06, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by StangNut
I have the same problem Taco Bill described but I have SLP's.
Haven't had a chance to try his solution yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to report the results.
What type of SLP's do you have. I got the Loudmouth's and the kit installed like a dream. No problem's with not clamping or loose fit. I now have about 9,500 miles and still no problem's I have a 2005 GT and installed them about a year ago.
Old 8/9/06, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I also have the LM's. Had them on for 10,000 miles. (Installed exactly one year ago today in fact) One day recently I noticed the right side tip was lower than the left. I lossened the clamp on the tip, lined it back up so it matched the other one and retightened. Then I pulled down on the tip a little just to make sure it was snug. It moved right back to where it was. It was sliding somewhere upstream. Tried tightening the rest of the clamps and it didn't help.
Still haven't had time to try the fix mentioned above.
Old 8/9/06, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

How do the flowdogs sound though?? Is it a huge diff from the stock exaust?
Old 8/9/06, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Found this pic on this site. Flowmaster agreed to send me a new set of clamps because I killed my first set. Going to take a shot at this when they come in.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=flowmaster
Old 8/9/06, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Put my Flowmasters on last week. I was appalled by the difference in Flowmaster inlet tube I/D compared to Stock. The Flowmasters were easy to install, but only because the inlet pipe was expanded a 1/5 inch too large. The FLowmaster supplied clamps are not strong enough to crimp the oversize tubing down to size- you have to use the standard type auto muffler clamps! Somebody at FLowmaster is getting way to jiggy on the pipe-expanding machine, and needs a good slap.

QC should have caught these problems- Do they have any QC?
Old 8/10/06, 06:43 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Listen up boys and girls. There is a very good chance that FORD changed the exhaust design during production, which is not a fault of the aftermarket manufacturer. It happened to me when I bought one of the first magnaflow kits for my 05. It didn't even come close to lining up. Look at pics in my blog. FORD changed the design without notifying any aftermarket manufacturers, but then again, why would they.
Old 8/11/06, 06:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Found this pic on this site. Flowmaster agreed to send me a new set of clamps because I killed my first set. Going to take a shot at this when they come in.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=flowmaster
thats exactly how i have my flowmasters clamped!! Had them clamped like that since day 1, no leaks, no falling off!
Old 8/11/06, 08:50 AM
GT Member

I wasn't talking about alignment problems. I was addressing the difference in ID/OD between the stock pipes and the Flowmaster inlet pipe. I don't think the factory changed it's exhaust system OD during the last few months! ?
Old 11/2/06, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I installed a single American Thunder exhaust on my 07 V6. It sounds great. According to the pictures I need to move the clamp a bit upwards. Will do that soon.

Here is my concern. Please see photo 1. My AT exhaust came with 3 hanger mounts not 2 as shown on flowmasters website (photo 3). My stock exhaust comes with 3 as well. I was able to remove 2 of the hanger mounts successfully on the stock muffler and placed it on the AT exhaust without any problems. The hanger mount near the axle pipe doesn't seem to wedge its way out. See photo 2 where I arrowed the hanger mount I'm referring to. Therefore, my AT exhaust is installed with 2 of the 3 hanger mounts. How can I detach the final hanger mount from the stock muffler so that I can install it on my AT exhaust without damaging the stock muffler? Has anyone else had this problem?
Attached Images    
Old 11/3/06, 02:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Just had mine installed on my '07 with no problems using the supplied clamps and they sound awesome maybe it was just a bad batch?
Old 11/3/06, 06:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Shaun81
Just had mine installed on my '07 with no problems using the supplied clamps and they sound awesome maybe it was just a bad batch?
Another satisfied customer
Old 11/3/06, 08:12 AM
Bullitt Member

After I placed my clamps more towards the end of the pipe of the Flowmaster like in the pic in the above link I have had no problems at all. Put about 300 miles on the mufflers and love em. I think there starting to break in and "season" a bit now.........love those flows!!!!!
Old 11/3/06, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by viiStang
How do the flowdogs sound though?? Is it a huge diff from the stock exaust?
Tremendous difference from stock. Or, in other words, wonderful!
Old 11/3/06, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a 2005 'Stang and Flowmaster ATs.

I can't get the stupid &&& Flowmaster clamps to work. I tried loosening the H pipe, centering the muffler, tightening, retightening, setting the clamp on either side of the exhaust nipple... NOTHING. ALL these suggestions above may have merit but haven't worked in my case.

The exhaust buzz/rattle comes back after less than 1k miles, I look under the car and voila - the clamp is tight but it is not clamping the pipes together. I can pull off the muffler no problem, and there is soot buildup on the exhaust to show exactly where my exhaust leak is.

DO **NOT** waste your time with the supplied Flowmaster clamps. I just bought some stainless saddle clamps, will install this weekend. Hopefully this will cure the problem for once and for all.

Great sounding muffler, but extremely poor clamp design.
Old 11/3/06, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I have a 2005 'Stang and Flowmaster ATs.

I can't get the stupid &&& Flowmaster clamps to work. I tried loosening the H pipe, centering the muffler, tightening, retightening, setting the clamp on either side of the exhaust nipple... NOTHING. ALL these suggestions above may have merit but haven't worked in my case.

The exhaust buzz/rattle comes back after less than 1k miles, I look under the car and voila - the clamp is tight but it is not clamping the pipes together. I can pull off the muffler no problem, and there is soot buildup on the exhaust to show exactly where my exhaust leak is.

DO **NOT** waste your time with the supplied Flowmaster clamps. I just bought some stainless saddle clamps, will install this weekend. Hopefully this will cure the problem for once and for all.

Great sounding muffler, but extremely poor clamp design.
...I went right to the saddle clamps and have never had a problem. Just tighten them down good...
Old 11/3/06, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Same story here.. I've got a 2006GT. Installed my Flowmaster AT kit (17410) on at 400 miles using the supplied clamps.. even talked to one of the Flowmaster engineers prior about their clamps. He assured me I will not have any clamp problems.. NOT. At 1100 miles, I was getting a consistent metallic vibration rattle at exactly 1400 RPMs.. took it into service (thinking it was the TSB cross-member rattle issue), turned out to be my Flowmaster clamps. I even used an impact wrench the first time. Anyway, Ford was cool and retightened my Flowmaster system at nocharge... OK for now, but only have 1400 miles. What brand clamps are being recommended... and did anyone go to a muffler shop and have their Flowmasters welded on?
Old 11/4/06, 06:28 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should use a stainless u-bolt style clamp, like the Summit Racing # G4725. I broke one of the cheap Flowmaster clamps trying to tighten it by hand.

Quick Reply: 2007 Mustang Flowmaster Issues!!!!!!!