20 questions (New intake and tunes)

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/07, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 questions (New intake and tunes)

Hey guys,
Newbie here so take it lite...

I just purchased an used xcal2 and c&L intake for my 06 gt and have a couple of questions.

One,
Could I use the existing tune's on my 06 as long as he only modded it for an intake? The guy had it tuned from evolution performance for his 05 gt with 89 and 91 octane tunes.

Two,
if he had an auto (transmission) and I have a stick, will that make a difference.

Three,
I have pretty much spent all my money on getting this and an exhaust (thanks Harley Bill) Could I get away with just one tune from Bamchips?

Four,
If I get just one, I want the fastest accelerating tune which one?

Five
Is that one best for everyday driving

Six,
Does this come with any factory tunes (I believe they are called canned tunes, but don't want to confused anyone as I may be confused)

Seven,
I really like what I have read abot Doug's tunes. Will I get better results locally? I live in Baton Rouge and have read Stang-hi does good work somewhere.

Eight,
Will I really get THAT much better of a tune if I visit Doug. He's like 8 hours away and I know the service will be awesome. but will I get that much better performance?

TIA,

Sorry for such a long post. I know computers not cars
Old 1/22/07, 06:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gremlin190
Hey guys,

I just purchased an used xcal2 and c&L intake for my 06 gt and have a couple of questions.

One,
Could I use the existing tune's on my 06 as long as he only modded it for an intake? The guy had it tuned from evolution performance for his 05 gt with 89 and 91 octane tunes. Don't use someone else's tunes- they may not match your calibration code. Besides that, hopefully the tuner was returned to stock before you received it.

Two,
if he had an auto (transmission) and I have a stick, will that make a difference. Possibly in the gearing portion.

Three,
I have pretty much spent all my money on getting this and an exhaust (thanks Harley Bill) Could I get away with just one tune from Bamchips? Yes, one good tune will be fine.

Four,
If I get just one, I want the fastest accelerating tune which one? www.brenspeed.com Just my opinion......lol don't hate me you 'Bama lovers! Doug is great too- don't start the war again......

Five
Is that one best for everyday driving. Depends on how you drive......

Six,
Does this come with any factory tunes (I believe they are called canned tunes, but don't want to confused anyone as I may be confused) Since you bought it used it would be best to start over with an emailed tune, not a canned tune or for sure not someone else's old tune.

Seven,
I really like what I have read abot Doug's tunes. Will I get better results locally? I live in Baton Rouge and have read Stang-hi does good work somewhere. If you're gonna pay someone to actually dyno tune (on a dyno) then do that. However some tuners are very good at their non-dyno tunes; for example a custom dyno tune only netted my 3 more hp over Brenspeed's normal tune they emailed me.

Eight,
Will I really get THAT much better of a tune if I visit Doug. He's like 8 hours away and I know the service will be awesome. but will I get that much better performance? Ask someone local to Doug, I don't know.

TIA,

Some answers for you, in red.
Old 1/22/07, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

1. Don't really understand. Are you using someone elses tuner? Buying it second hand?

2. Same questions as above but yeah it's a different tune setup.

3. Probably

4. 93 Race more than likely

5. The answer to question four and this question can NEVER be the same. There's always trade offs. You could daily drive on that tune but I don't think Doug recomends it. More than likely the 91 or 93 Performance tune is your best bet.

6. The tuner will retain your stock tune so you can switch back to it whenever you need it. A "canned" tune is a tune that you just get through the mail and never actually get the car dynoed.

7. I've been to several tuners for my 05 GT and now I swear by Doug. Most accurate way to do it is, get a canned tune from doug, get a couple of dyno runs in and send Doug the results. He will adjust accordingly.

8. Since you're 8 hours away I wouldn't say that it's worth the 1 maybe 2 hp that you'll pick up. Same thing could be accomplished through the internet like in my answer to #7.
Old 1/22/07, 06:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
5. The answer to question four and this question can NEVER be the same. There's always trade offs. You could daily drive on that tune but I don't think Doug recomends it. More than likely the 91 or 93 Performance tune is your best bet.

?? I don't understand that statement......
Old 1/22/07, 10:30 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Unless the used SCT tuner you bought is either the canned or preloaded 9415 X-CAL ? I wouldn't recommend it and I also hope for your sake that the previous owner returned his vehicle back to the stock program before shipping it off to you..
Old 1/22/07, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
?? I don't understand that statement......
There's no way the best performance/accelerating tune is the best for daily driving, hence why we don't all drive racecars.
Old 1/23/07, 04:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gremlin190
Hey guys,

One,
Could I use the existing tune's on my 06 as long as he only modded it for an intake? The guy had it tuned from evolution performance for his 05 gt with 89 and 91 octane tunes.

No.

Two,
if he had an auto (transmission) and I have a stick, will that make a difference.

Yes.

Three,
I have pretty much spent all my money on getting this and an exhaust (thanks Harley Bill) Could I get away with just one tune from Bamchips?

Yes.

Four,
If I get just one, I want the fastest accelerating tune which one?

The torque tune. Choose the octane you're comfortable with.

Five
Is that one best for everyday driving

Yes.

Six,
Does this come with any factory tunes (I believe they are called canned tunes, but don't want to confused anyone as I may be confused)

I believe they come with three tunes from SCT. 87, 89, and 93 octane.

Seven,
I really like what I have read abot Doug's tunes. Will I get better results locally? I live in Baton Rouge and have read Stang-hi does good work somewhere.

I doubt you will get better results locally.

Eight,
Will I really get THAT much better of a tune if I visit Doug. He's like 8 hours away and I know the service will be awesome. but will I get that much better performance?

You don't have to drive to Doug to get his tunes, he will email them to you.

TIA,

Hope this helps.
Old 1/23/07, 04:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

There's no way the best performance/accelerating tune is the best for daily driving, hence why we don't all drive racecars.
It's not going to be as drastic as racecar vs. stock Mustang.

Besides, racecars don't use programmers, and they have many more modifications than just engine management.

The best tune for a daily driver is a tune that delivers more power in the low to mid RPM range than in the high RPM range. However, it varies with your location, regarding traffic and where the power is needed in the RPM band.
Old 1/23/07, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stang281

Besides, racecars don't use programmers, and they have many more modifications than just engine management.

The best tune for a daily driver is a tune that delivers more power in the low to mid RPM range than in the high RPM range. However, it varies with your location, regarding traffic and where the power is needed in the RPM band.

+1........
Old 1/23/07, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brenspeed!!!

lol and bamachips . BRENSPEED has treated me good
Old 1/23/07, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

+1!!
Old 1/23/07, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys. I get everything in on thursday. I hope the guy unlocked the xcal also. I asked him specifically about this and he said he did. For the price, I couldn't pass it up and figure I would take my chances. I can still buy a new xcal and come out cheaper (though not by much) if this tuner doesn't work out.
Old 1/23/07, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stang281

It wasn't a realistic comparison and I didn't mean for it to be. Take for example the shift firmness on an automatic. For the best acceleration you'll probably want a much more firm shift than you would ever want to daily drive with. It's just little things like that.
Old 1/23/07, 05:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All your questions were already answered... Some of the forum's top gurus have given you some pretty good advice. My only concern would be buying a second-hand tuner. I hope that you got a great deal. Personally, I like Doug's 93 race the best, and it is good for every day driving as well. If you have a reputable dyno/tuner locally that you trust, then that would probably be your best bet. If you're willing to drive 8 hours to get your car personally dyno'ed and tuned by Doug... all the better, although his "canned" tunes are awesome as well . Absolutely nothing wrong with Brenspeed, and some others, either. Do your research as this is an important decision.
Old 1/23/07, 06:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

It wasn't a realistic comparison and I didn't mean for it to be. Take for example the shift firmness on an automatic. For the best acceleration you'll probably want a much more firm shift than you would ever want to daily drive with. It's just little things like that.
True.
Old 1/23/07, 08:34 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Is this X-cal II you bought the custom 9400 or 9415 Strategy Flash preloaded tuner ? If it's the custom 9400 and say the custom tune is set up for an Automatic tranny with 4:10 gear ratio and your car is a 5 spd. manual with stock gear ratio ? then NO you cannot load somebody else's custom tune files into your vehicle..You must either go to a local tuner and have him custom tune your car on a dyno and then load the new tune files onto your programmer or you'll have to contact an SCT dealer such as Doug from bamachips or Brent from brenspeed who will write you new custom tune files for your specific mods and for your specific calibration and will then e-mail the new files to download into your programmer..If on the other hand the programmer is the 9415 preloaded tuner ? then yes you can use it regardless of what vehicle it was last used on..