GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

0-60 times not good

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/05, 03:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy 4th guys!

Lately my mustang has been reallly lagging on me. I took it in to the dealer and they noticed a little lag but said the acceleration is normal. It's an auto GT. I drive it with TCS off and O/D off. I'm going from 0-60 in 7 -8 seconds I can't get it into 5 second terriroty no matter what. I've disconnected the battery, done the reset thing with the ignition and gas pedal technique, and it just lags. I'm not getting 5.2 seconds from a cold stop, what's wrong? I've still got the popping strut TSb parts to come in so they can replace them. I do notice when I accelerate that the front end seems to make a faint whine like something is forced or like rubbing on the wheels. Would suspension problems be slowing me down?
Old 7/4/05, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Rins05GT@July 4, 2005, 4:29 PM
Happy 4th guys!

Lately my mustang has been reallly lagging on me. I took it in to the dealer and they noticed a little lag but said the acceleration is normal. It's an auto GT. I drive it with TCS off and O/D off. I'm going from 0-60 in 7 -8 seconds I can't get it into 5 second terriroty no matter what. I've disconnected the battery, done the reset thing with the ignition and gas pedal technique, and it just lags. I'm not getting 5.2 seconds from a cold stop, what's wrong? I've still got the popping strut TSb parts to come in so they can replace them. I do notice when I accelerate that the front end seems to make a faint whine like something is forced or like rubbing on the wheels. Would suspension problems be slowing me down?
What are you using to time the 0-60 runs?
Old 7/4/05, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

There is an issue somewhere, no way should it be taking over 7 seconds to hit 60. I've noticed the dealer says everything is normal, just so they don't have to fix it. There is something wrong with it, take it back, or to another dealer.

If I can do 0-60 in 4.9 (and I'm not good) you should be in the 5s.
Old 7/4/05, 03:47 PM
V6 Member

I've been using the built in chronometer to time it. The dealer never wants to deal with sh**. You buy a $30,000 car and they treat you like trash. I mean I'm sure the people getting the 4.9 to 5.2 times are using o/d off too on their auto's. I don't understand it. I hear all the mags and people say that they hit theirs and it goes and they get kicked back in their seat and whiplash this and that and all excilerating and exciting. I don't feel any of that. My 03' v6 mustang convertible gave me a bigger rush when I was getting all that wind. This car should just pick up and throw you back. it hasn't done that to me once yet. Everytime I move the gear selector I hear clunks, everytime I corner, the struts clunk or pop. When I go over slight bumprs or accelerate I hear weird clunks or sounds coming from what seems the suspension like lose screws or hangers. I get a sound like two glass beer bottles hitting eachother coming from under my trunk area sometimes when I accelerate.
Old 7/4/05, 09:09 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have it dynoed
Old 7/4/05, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

Good idea. That sounds like one sick pony to me.
Old 7/5/05, 03:33 AM
Bullitt Member

There is something going wrong with your car.
I've got an auto and have no problems. If anything, got to slack on the gas!
I just stomp it in D and it takes off! Have them fix all the problems. Then you
will feel all those horses and have grin on your face!
Happy Trails!!!
Old 7/5/05, 03:18 PM
GT Member

Go to the dealer and take a tech with you and drive your car back to back with one on the lot. If it is as slow as you say it is, they should be able to notice an obvious difference and then they can't argue with you.
Old 11/18/05, 10:39 AM
V6 Member

Hey guys I followed this advice on this link: http://www.mustangforums.com/m_772172/tm.htm

It reads:

The procedure:

- Turn your key to the ON position (not just ACC), wait for the various dash warning lights to go out - but do NOT start the car.

- Press your throttle all the way down in one smooth motion - just do it at a normal speed (take about 2-3 seconds to hit bottom).

- Let it up, as soon as you hit the bottom.

- Turn off your ignition and wait 3-4 seconds.

- Start the engine up normally and drive.

May have to repeat 3 times for the Computer Training to complete
this procedure trains the throttle variable switch to the throttle body servo motor.
May need to be redone everytime you flash the PCM.

The Strange thing is, I went through this sequence and all my downshift hesitation went away. no pausing and lurching when Stomped on.

I have found similar references to the throttle by wire lag on other cars.

I tried it and it seems to work great, no need for tune! I can now get my zero to 60 times at 5.8 to 5.9 seconds on my auto GT. This is with OD On and trac control on too! The only downside is it seems to get the lag on after a few drives. So I have to keep reprogramming ti which is a pain in the hiney. But it’s worth it. I want to save in buying a tuner. I mean has anyone else tried this? The tuner prolly can get me faster. I had tried this fix before but I was putting my foot down to fast and not calibrating it right I guess. What are your thoughts on all this drive by wire crap? I’m all for modern technology and I heard the vett’s had time for a few years and they never had lag. I’m sure ford’s done a crappy software or firmware coding with their drive by wire.
Old 11/18/05, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought the 0-60 times for the auto were in the 5.0-5.1 range
Old 11/18/05, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bigaloz@November 18, 2005, 1:46 PM
I thought the 0-60 times for the auto were in the 5.0-5.1 range
It is. When I tested mine, it hit 60 in 5.04 seconds in total stock form. Perhaps he meant to say 4.8-4.9 instead of 5.8-5.9. If it is 5.8-5.9, maybe he lives at a high elevation which would kill performance some.
Old 11/18/05, 11:14 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
merged the update with your original topic
Old 11/18/05, 12:31 PM
FR500 Member

4.8 to 4.9 seconds isn't right either if it's stock. The best 0-60 I have gotten with my heavily modded auto is 4.6 seconds, but usually it's 4.7 on a good day. I think he meant to say 5.8 to 5.9... and that's way too slow. How are you taking off, Rinaldo?
Old 11/18/05, 01:52 PM
V6 Member

Yeah this just launching it from a stop with trac control on and overdrive on and without revying the rpm's to 2,500 in neutral. I'm sure if I did not have trac on and o/d off and revved that I'd get a half second less. I meant 5.8. I was getting like a bit under 8 seconds before the lag, just barely beating a V6. I had the lag very bad! So I'm happy, just mad that the comp is crappy.
Old 11/18/05, 02:06 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Rins05GT@November 18, 2005, 1:55 PM
without revying the rpm's to 2,500 in neutral.

Ummmm, you don't want to ever do that. I'm sure you can do it a few times, but eventually, one day you'll do that, and you won't go anywhere because your tranny just turned into a smoking heap.

Brake Torquing...yes. Neutral dropping...no.
Old 11/18/05, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Neutral Dropping.....please dont say you've been doing that?!

User Error alert.

-Dan
Old 11/18/05, 08:05 PM
FR500 Member

Hate to sound like a broken record here, but never rev the car in neutral then drop it into drive. You will RUIN your tranny... a lot quicker than you think too. The correct way to launch is to "powerbrake"... which is to put your left foot on the brake (to the floor) and put your right foot on the accelerator, pushing down until you reach about 2500 rpm and then let go of the brake and accelerate to 60. You should also have your traction control OFF and O/D ON for best results. Either you are doing something really wrong during take-off, you got a GT with a 6-cylinder engine in it, or you got a lemon.
Old 11/19/05, 04:41 AM
V6 Member

Lol sorry guys I was at lunch at work, in a hurry and dunno what I was typing, I meant to say revving the engine while braking, but not in neutral, somehow I got neutral stuck in my head I don't think I've ever done that. I heard that's just as bad as shifting the auto manually from 1-2-3 instead of using drive. I knew a guy that did that all the time and ruined his tranny. But yea i'm sure i'd get below 5.5 if trac off overdrive off and punching it from 2,500 with foot on brake off the line. I'm just happy the lag is almost gone. Anybody try that JET throttle body? I heard it helps too? I just don't like the idea of having to do this throttle by wire reset hokey pokey all the time. Is it worth it, yes, but it seems so backwards! I mean since my lag is near gone, is there a point in still paying $350 for an SCT? Help me out guys!
Old 11/19/05, 09:35 AM
FR500 Member

I have the Jet TB Spacer, and an auto tranny... it definitely does help a little with the lag us auto guys get. It's worth the hundred bucks for it, that's for sure. You should still be getting close to 5 seconds 0-60. I did 0-60 in 5.1 seconds in my auto, basically stock... just had added my old Magnaflow axleback at the time.
Old 11/19/05, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

most of the autos that race at my local track LACR palmdale run 14.5's which is probably 0-60 in 6 or so sec's get it dynoed and if its way low complain if not woek on your driving skills and ask other auto drivers what they do differently then you to get better times

Quick Reply: 0-60 times not good