Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Viper backed down from challenge

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/05, 02:44 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rrobello@January 17, 2005, 1:48 AM
yeah or he is just another yuppy who buys an expensive sports car to indulge in his midlife crisis and does not have the ***** to exceed 60mph
couldnt say it any better
Old 1/17/05, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

i love the adrenaline of going fast, but the feeling of a cop behind you takes it all away. The track is where ill be to test limits of a car. Around here its just not worth it. You lose your license for someting like 5 years. I dont think im willing to take that risk. Things always seem fun until the consequences roll around.
Old 1/17/05, 03:40 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Be thankful he was kind enough to spare you the embarrassment.

Old 1/17/05, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@January 17, 2005, 4:43 PM
Be thankful he was kind enough to spare you the embarrassment.

Old 1/17/05, 03:59 PM
GT Member

mayb he has too much to loose . . . and dosent want to risk his car being impounded (in ca thy will impound the car for 30 days if caught racing) and plus he could be sued if he hit another car and/or a person . . . is it really worth it just to have "fun" to loose everything maybe even your life! . . . next time u have the urge go to a track! and IMO it takes more ballz to walk away than to illegally race!
Old 1/17/05, 04:14 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by rrobello@January 17, 2005, 2:48 AM
... or he is just another yuppy who buys an expensive sports car to indulge in his midlife crisis and does not have the ***** to exceed 60mph
ROTF!!! You're hilarious.

Does the phrase "legend in your own mind" ring a bell?

DING... DING!!!

Old 1/17/05, 05:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX+January 17, 2005, 3:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackRiderX @ January 17, 2005, 3:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-rrobello@January 17, 2005, 1:48 AM
yeah or he is just another yuppy who buys an expensive sports car to indulge in his midlife crisis and does not have the ***** to exceed 60mph
Or he's just a guy who has his priorities in order and uses his brain ....[/b][/quote]
I agree with this 100%. He did use his brain. There sure are a lot of loose lips on this thread.
Old 1/17/05, 05:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by rrobello@January 17, 2005, 5:37 AM
Anyway, I think a forfit should count as a kill, so add a Viper to the list.
First off, this Viper did not "forfeit" to you, as many others have said. He simply thought the situation through and found it to not be worth his gas for one reason or another, which is perfectly valid considering the lesson in domination he would have doled out forthrightly.

There will be no adding of Dodge Vipers to the "kill list' until we see some '05s running around with supercahrgers, and even then it'll take some doing. Heck, he could have given you a full second head start(assuming he is a skilled driver) and still edged you out to 60mph.

So, in closing, No Soup For You! :nono:
Old 1/17/05, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Goodness we have some ignorant people on these boards. He simply didn't want to race, get over it. Oh and BTW it does not count as a kill
Old 1/17/05, 10:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He may have been going through a mid life crisis but he had a Viper and a hot chick with him. Not too shabby in my book.
Old 1/17/05, 11:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Much as I love the Pony...without some supercharged oaties under the hood..."You don't step on Superman's cape..." ... that's a snake I wouldn't consider playing with...
Old 1/17/05, 11:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by rrobello@January 16, 2005, 11:48 PM
Hmmmmm....... maybe he likes his toys and doesn't need to blow $$$ on unnecessary speeding tickets and insurance costs on ridiculous street racing.
Old 1/18/05, 07:36 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Perception is reality; but for many, reality is distorted beyond recognition.

Here's a story. I used to teach Martial Arts, but used to go to other studios to practice and see what they were doing and if I could learn something new, etc. (I liked watching other instructors and so on). No ego, I'd go in a wear a white belt and be at the back of the class

. So I was doing this at a sorta distant Karate class -- after a couple weeks, the instructor could tell I had some ability and asked about rank/experience, and I told him I had a few black belts (truth) but liked to shut-up and practice and learn. He told me to wear my black belt (as I'd earned it) -- true enough, but not in his art. But still, I did.

Next class we did some sparring. And one of his brown belts was feeling his wheaties and coming on strong. I told him to watch the control, a few times. He'd ignore controlled kicks or punches I tapped him with, and punch through them, without control and so on. I didn't want to hurt him, but the instructor was letting it go on. Finally, I pulled a punch to his face, and instead of respecting it he just charged and gut punched me. I'd had enough. I hit him about half a dozen times, kicked him a bit, pretty hard, swept him, all in a single exchange. (He suddenly realized how completely outclassed he was, and had better watch it).

The instructor rotated us to the next group, and I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. But the next guy was obviously top dog in the studio, and again, started the same garbage, and the instructor was letting it go. I could have outclassed him and hurt him too. Instead I bowed out. Took off my gloves, got my stuff, and left in class.

Later that instructor turned out to be talking with my instructor, and somehow was asking my instructor about other "people in the area". He started talking trash about me (not realizing who I was or the relationship), and telling a story about his students mopped the studio with me and so on. My instructor let him go on a while, and then laughed, and just said, "he probably didn't want to have to injure your entire class, and you, because you were too dumb to control your students".

The moral is, that some people get it, and some people don't. When you're young and dumb you have something to prove, or you play without realizing the consequences. But there are situations where the only winning is to not play the game. I could have beaten his students and him, but why? What would have that done (or proven) except left us all hurt? He wasn't a good instructor or wise person, and it was not a good environment, so there was little I could learn, thus it was time to walk away. I had nothing to prove, and nothing to gain. Bye-bye.

Same with your little road-race. He had no upside, lots of downside and risks, so why bother. It wasn't fun for him, and if he'd beaten you by 20 car lengths, you'd probably still talk smack about how close a race it was -- and he'd just go through half a tank of gas, and be that much closer to having to buy some new gummies. 99 out of 100, I wouldn't have raced either if I'd been him -- but I'd have a fun time at the track on weekends.

Being mature is having nothing to prove, and knowing when to put wisdom ahead of ego. (IMHO).
Old 1/18/05, 09:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Not sure where, possibly Long Island-NY, but I saw a report about a town that has a free track open to all as long as you have a clean driving record. The policy worked and the street racing scene in that area has practically vanished.

Street racing :nono:
Old 1/18/05, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I can only HOPE that my mid-life crisis includes owning a Viper and having a hot chick.

Uh, oops, hope the wife doesn't read this...
Old 1/18/05, 11:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

The guy in the Viper had nothing to prove. He's got a great car, a good looking woman, and a brain. As much as I love Mustangs, you'd have seen nothing but the Viper disappearing off in the distance if he had decided to punch it. Perhaps he's seen what used to be a person being scraped off a highway. You only need to see that once to never even consider street racing.
Old 1/18/05, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

The guy was a wuss for not racing. End of story.
Old 1/18/05, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, what a wuss, he didn’t want to get his car impounded if he gets caught. I sure wouldn’t want my viper impounded. I’m sure he gets his jollies at the track and not the street. It’s not even worth his time maybe the SVT will be if they put enough in it.
Old 1/18/05, 11:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Shea@January 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
The guy was a wuss for not racing. End of story.
You're not trying to stir the pot here, are you?
Old 1/18/05, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rich@January 18, 2005, 12:00 AM
He may have been going through a mid life crisis but he had a Viper and a hot chick with him. Not too shabby in my book.
He likes Vipers's. I like mustangs. I would gladly take a Cobra and a hot chick (or better yet a Ferrari 575 Maranello...i like the car and don't care if u dont, so keep it to yourself) over a pointless race that Stevie Wonder could have judged the winner of.

Quick Reply: Viper backed down from challenge