Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Tailgated by a Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/08, 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tailgated by a Pontiac

Yesterday on my way home this ugly car kept tailgating me. Then he passed me (very fast) and then cuts me off. (Edited) . Come to find out it was a GTO 6.0 and I believe they have 400 horses behind them. What an ugly car...Pontiac couldn't come up with a nicer body for a 400hp car?
Old 2/28/08, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good friend of mine has a Black one w/ red int.. it's not a 'bad' looking car, but I agree, it could of been so much better.
Old 2/28/08, 08:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
are you sure it wasn't a grand am or a grand prix or a bonniville LOL ...ya know thay all look the same
Old 2/28/08, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I bet money it was a cavelier.
Old 2/28/08, 09:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
are you sure it wasn't a grand am or a grand prix or a bonniville LOL ...ya know thay all look the same
So true!
Old 2/28/08, 11:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or a G6.
Old 2/28/08, 11:14 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Maybe it was Montana.
Old 2/28/08, 01:18 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^lol, the GTO's arent too bad looking, the 400hp is a plus. They just didnt sell many of them.
Old 2/29/08, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats the beauty of them. Not every kid on the block has them and everyone of us will wave of flash lights if we hapen to see each other.
Old 2/29/08, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
Good friend of mine has a Black one w/ red int.. it's not a 'bad' looking car, but I agree, it could of been so much better.
I don't think the GTO was at all bad looking, a touch understated perhaps for those whose mind flashes "Judge" when the think GTO, but clean and well proportioned. The styling was getting a bit old by the time it finally made it here, late in the Monaro model cycle, and certainly didn't have the freshness and flash of the '05 Stang.

As for being so much better, the only other real alternative was it not being at all. It was only after Maximum Bob Lutz drove some Monaro's whilst looking at Koala Bears in Australia, that he essentially decreed that a version WOULD be brought Stateside, right now. So Pontiac engineers really had a rush job to Federalize the thing with styling changes pretty much left to the front and rear bumper caps and eventually twin nostril hood. Given the constraints, they did a remarkable job and the GTO was a very competent and capable performance car, especially the 6.0 versions.

Perhaps now with the showing of the Holden Coupe 60 concept, essentially a Monaro replacement, Pontiac, assuming they aren't now gun-shy after the last GTO experience, will have their fully up-to-date next GTO platform.
Old 2/29/08, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree. I happen to ove the looks of mine. Especially a 3/4 from the rear love that angle.
Old 2/29/08, 10:13 AM
Cobra Member

I kinda like the style too. Doesnt stick out enough to catch the eye of every cop looking to meet his quota, but still looks smooth and elegant (yes i know i just called a GTO elegant)... at least till you drop the hammer on the 6.0.
Old 4/4/08, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
I don't think the GTO was at all bad looking, a touch understated perhaps for those whose mind flashes "Judge" when the think GTO, but clean and well proportioned. The styling was getting a bit old by the time it finally made it here, late in the Monaro model cycle, and certainly didn't have the freshness and flash of the '05 Stang.

As for being so much better, the only other real alternative was it not being at all. It was only after Maximum Bob Lutz drove some Monaro's whilst looking at Koala Bears in Australia, that he essentially decreed that a version WOULD be brought Stateside, right now. So Pontiac engineers really had a rush job to Federalize the thing with styling changes pretty much left to the front and rear bumper caps and eventually twin nostril hood. Given the constraints, they did a remarkable job and the GTO was a very competent and capable performance car, especially the 6.0 versions.

Perhaps now with the showing of the Holden Coupe 60 concept, essentially a Monaro replacement, Pontiac, assuming they aren't now gun-shy after the last GTO experience, will have their fully up-to-date next GTO platform.
I agree 100% ... I liked the GTO ... too bad it didn't have the Pontiac V-8.
Old 4/4/08, 08:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was filling up this morning and a black GTO was pulling out of the Quik Stop. He definitely was running an off road X with no mufflers. It sounded like really loud rice.

But I always thought they actually looked decent. I like it better than the Charger.
Old 4/5/08, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I traded my 05 6-speed GTO for my GT. What a relief....it's a piece a cake to get a GT to perform as well as you'd like. However, there's nothing you can do to make a GTO into a good looking car.

Vary Cavalier(ish) from the rear passenger window on back.
Old 4/5/08, 08:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
I kinda like the style too. Doesnt stick out enough to catch the eye of every cop looking to meet his quota, but still looks smooth and elegant (yes i know i just called a GTO elegant)... at least till you drop the hammer on the 6.0.
I don't really like the style.
I don't hate it either.
It is an ultimate sleeper IMO.
It looks like all the rest of the cars on the road.
Old 4/5/08, 09:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Prior to 06 I was all GM. I still think the GTO is an ugly pig version of the Cavalier. I had a Z71 with the 5.3L and I think that looked nicer than the GTO. The GTO missed the boat on so many levels. The factory suspension is so weak for the torque and the car just doesn't handle right.

Now, if GM were to take a semi fuel economic engine with power and put it in a body style that didn't go all vanilla, they would have something decent. I honestly bought both my Mustangs because GM had nothing to bring to the table. Ever since the catfish looking Camaro I have been a bit let down.

Now, if they took the new Camaro and made a decent Trans Am version that was 79 retro, I may have to break down and get one. I just see everything they do lose the edges and turn into a clump of a vanilla blob car.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the Holden products make it through. I was even a bit eager to see the new G8, but I'm sure like everything else it will be a sport / luxury that can't hang with the sports cars and isn't too plush.
Old 4/5/08, 10:41 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I would have to seriously consider a retro Trans Am off this Camaro platform. But the Camaro just isn't doing it for me and for the GTO I think it was sad to but that name on that car IMO. I'm not against that car but that's selling out to put GTO on it and turn that name into an Australian car.
Old 4/5/08, 01:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I would have to seriously consider a retro Trans Am off this Camaro platform.
GM doesn't need another competitor for Camaro.
Old 4/5/08, 09:05 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
GM doesn't need another competitor for Camaro.
Very true. I know they won't do it, my future lies with a 2010 or 2011 Mustang, but Trans Am's have been in my family a couple of times and I just like the nameplate and possible design differences over a Camaro.

BTW passed a GTO today while I was in my truck on the freeway. Blew his doors off. Ford F150 the ultimate sleeper. lol

I guess he was probably laughing saying look at this hoser in his truck passing me!

Quick Reply: Tailgated by a Pontiac