Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

And so it begins...

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/08, 09:20 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gon
er

The same power with smaller engine and better fuel economy, IRS... ok it's slower than GT in 0-60 but
I see the camaro more complete and modern in price/qualit terms.

Ford needs to modernize Mustang (IRS, ABS and traction control standard on V6, brakes, more hp...)
same power? power doens't mean anything if its slower. better fuel economy, sure casue its slower again.

So i guess if you are someone that only cares about handling it might be better, but so is a mazda miata.

If you perfer that type of car then i guess its all yours but I perfer a pony/muscle car and will be staying with the stang.
Old 8/27/08, 09:25 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its missing two cylinders brother jk

the maro 6 is heavier, less tq, going to sound diff... if you are looking for mpg thats a little better and better ride id go w/ it if not id stick w/ the GT
Old 8/27/08, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

Doubt we see IRS in the Stang until the new RWD platform. New engines for 2011MY will be just as good or better than GM's. But......I do like GM's thinking with a 300hp V6 & 422HP V8 Camaro.
Old 8/27/08, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
if i remember correctly when we had the camaro back in the 80's and 90's they had the engine that would do strait line runs faster than the mustang, but the mustang had the corner (no pun intended) on handling. also, i remember reading that the mustang had the all important "fun factor" and not the camaro. if people wanted to go fast in a strait line, then they bought the camaro, if they wanted to have fun with their car, they would buy a mustang. anyone else remember this?? i like "fun factor" better....
Old 8/27/08, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

I think this "handling" subject is a bit overrated. Yes, I would like the Mustang to have IRS, but unless you are road course racing, does it really matter?
"Improved" suspension should be good enough, until the new RWD platform is ready. Better brakes will solve a lot of issues as well.

If you are a classic car or muscle car lover, IRS isn't the most important thing. A lot of people like that "raw" feel. That's the main reason they purchase those kind of cars.
It is a Mustang after all. Not a Lincoln!

I am not making excuses for Ford being cheap, but we are a minority. Most people like cars for their looks. Then price & gas mileage.
Here in Ohio, most Muscle car lovers care about looks & speed. Drag racing is big. Not road course racing.
Old 8/27/08, 11:16 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well so much for the people who were worried that the base level V6 Camaro would be a threat in stop light to stoplight with the GT........
Old 8/27/08, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

no its just to let the die hard chevy fans feel a little better that it will beat the v6 mustang. Its doesent matter if its five years older to them lol its just something that makes their boat float. we shouldent care the 5.0 in 2011 will be somthing to wait for but chevy and dodge wont be ready for it
Old 8/27/08, 12:22 PM

To paraphrase a bit:
I think this "acceleration" subject is a bit overrated. Yes, I would like the Mustang to have 400hp, but unless you are drag racing, does it really matter? An "improved" 4.6 3V should be good enough, until the new 5.0 is ready. Better brakes will solve a lot of issues as well.
If you are a classic 289 K-Code GT, Pony Car lover, HP isn't the most important thing. A lot of people like that "balanced" feel. That's the main reason they purchase these kinds of cars. It's a Mustang after all, not a Mercury Marauder.
Of the two, a lotta horsepower or a lotta handling capability, I think it is the latter that is far more usable, not to mention safer, to enjoy outside of a track environment. Of course, the ideal is to have a well balanced and matched combination of both, not to mention perhaps most imporatantly, excellent brakes. As for actual fun, its not necessarily how fast a car goes, but how a car goes fast.

As I would rate the current Mustang, its strengths are pretty much the opposite: very good power/acceleration; so-so handling, especially on less than smooth roads; and mediocre at best brakes. Were I king of Ford, I'd address these aspects of its performance envelope starting with the weakest first.

As for the "raw" aspect, that all too often verges into defining a car by its weaknesses, or lack of engineering, rather than truly enjoyable qualities, especially in regards to a daily driver rather than Sunday track star. Perhaps "tactile," "full of control feedback" or "communicative" might be better involving criteria for a performance car. My daddy's International Harvester Low Boy tractor was as "raw" as it gets, as was that '71 F-100 pickup with 200+K on the clock, but neither was particularly enjoyable to drive (outside of doing donuts in the fields with the pickup that is :-). The "raw" qualities of the current Stang's suspension and brakes really reflects more a simple lack of performance capability than anything else IMHO.

Last edited by rhumb; 8/27/08 at 12:26 PM.
Old 8/27/08, 12:50 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

give me more power good looks and a mean sound brother
Old 8/27/08, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the want for more HP is boys will be boys,mine is bigger than yours. Even though most will never race thier car we all want to be the one that says mine has more than yours. Does HP really sell cars? I think most people want the car to look good first. Look at the GTO and GT8. Looks and gas milage will sell more cars today.
Old 8/27/08, 01:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Whenever you open Motor Trend there are a lot of GM ads so that pretty much tells you who's gonna win their tests.
Old 8/27/08, 02:11 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
As I would rate the current Mustang, its strengths are pretty much the opposite: very good power/acceleration; so-so handling, especially on less than smooth roads; and mediocre at best brakes. Were I king of Ford, I'd address these aspects of its performance envelope starting with the weakest first.

The problem with that is that everyone else already does the cars like that. I'm all for improving the car. But the engine and performance should be the focus, when you are working on a budget you have to cut things and those shouldn't be where they cut.
Old 8/27/08, 05:51 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People just need to realize a mustang is a mustang is a mustang. It'll never be the best handling, accelerating,or braking car out there. But it sure as hell will be the most fun you can have for the price!
Old 8/27/08, 06:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Whenever you open Motor Trend there are a lot of GM ads so that pretty much tells you who's gonna win their tests.
I think this goes beyond ads. It seems that whenever something new comes out, it its crowned the better car. For some silly reason I have subscriptions to several of these magazines and they use some B.S. judgment to pick winners in there comparisons.

Back in 04' Motor Trend pitted the 04' Cobra up against the new for 04' GTO. Despite the fact that the Cobra and even a lesser Mach1 could spank the goat in every performance category the GTO was deemed the winner. I guess a bigger trunk and interior quality outweigh acceleration, handling, braking, looks etc.....

The same thing happened just a few months ago when the new SRT8 Challenger faced off against the superior GT500! I guess the formula to winning muscle car comparos is all about having a big trunk, thats the most important thing that I consider when buying a sports car how about you guys?
Old 8/27/08, 06:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SINBUSTER007
if i remember correctly when we had the camaro back in the 80's and 90's they had the engine that would do strait line runs faster than the mustang, but the mustang had the corner (no pun intended) on handling. also, i remember reading that the mustang had the all important "fun factor" and not the camaro. if people wanted to go fast in a strait line, then they bought the camaro, if they wanted to have fun with their car, they would buy a mustang. anyone else remember this?? i like "fun factor" better....
Sorry man I gotta disagree with you on that. In the 80s the Mustang was the quicker straight line performer (lighter with slightly less power.....sound familiar???) By the 90s the Camaro was the quicker and better handling car. Many would consider the Mustang the better daily driver/ options and features while the Camaro was more of the enthusiast car.
Old 8/27/08, 06:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe it's just me but I think a high content, rather expensive base model is a big mistake for GM. Sure, the base Camaro is worlds better than the current base model Mustang and will probably be better then the next gen base Mustang..... but at 14-15k it had better be! Ford has neglected the base model Mustang to keep costs down ant it works. May younger people that don't have much coin can easily afford a base model Mustang for under $20,000........ now the new Camaro comes out and the cheapest ticket for entry is mid 20k range?...ouch.

To be honest i'm not all that impressed by these 0-60, 1/4 mile times. A new 08' V6 Accord coupe has about the same performance for about the same price as the 09' Camaro. Don't get me wrong I have a feeling that the SS is gonna be a beast, but a big dollar base model is going to ensure that production numbers stay small. Though I must admit I am excited to see one in person after finally seeing a Challenger in person recently.
Old 8/27/08, 06:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
The Camero must rattle alot. They have black duck tape holding down the center console. OOPs
http://image.motortrend.com/f/108175...v6+cockpit.jpg

Last edited by GrnT; 8/27/08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 8/27/08, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Let me know when the real cars come out. At least it seems that the looks of the Camaro have improved. The black prototype is still hideous while the red one actually looks pretty cool. Go figure.
Old 8/27/08, 09:06 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I dont care how it handles, it still doesnt even look a fraction of one percent as good as the Mustang, you can tell it was quickly designed to be competiton to a, at that point rapidly selling car
Old 8/27/08, 09:51 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Automobile and Popular Mechanics have thier reviews out as well

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...onclusion.html

And topping it all off, the Camaro essentially blows away its competition - the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger seem positively primitive in comparison, a couple of rough-edged, cost-cut, sedan-derived chunks of ordinary.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4279655.html

Instead, we were tossed the keys to a pair of 2010 Camaro prototypes—and simply told to go drive them. It seems Chevy is mighty confident about these early Camaros. And after three hours driving the twins on some of the twistiest, most aggressive roads in San Diego County we discovered Chevy has good reason for this confidence. Rest assured, Camaro fans, this is going to be a very good car.
No Mustang or Challenger jabbing in there that I saw which makes it the best article of the three for me as it comes off more objective.

Quick Reply: And so it begins...