Scion FR-S vs 2011-13 v6 Mustang

Scion FR-S

2.0 liter flat 4, 200 hp boxer engine
rear LSD
2700 lb curb weight
RWD 6 speed tranny
Low center of gravity
24-32 est mpg

25000 non negotiable "Trueprice" (roughly 28 out the door)

2013 Mustang

3.7 liter 305 horsepower v6
solid rear axle
RWD 6 speed tranny
3500 lb curb weight
20-31 mpg

22200 msrp negotiable invoice (roughly 25 out the door)

Last edited by Titusdrake; 3/23/12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 3/24/12, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mustang, hands down. Even completely putting aside my bias for mustangs its the better car. I was really excited for the FT 86/ FRS when I first heard about it, but I don't think the final product lives up to the hype. If you're looking for an autox/track car than the frs might be a little better, but on the street, the mustang costs less, gets great gas millage, is faster, and has a back seat that humans might actually fit in.

If you want a lightweight, low power, great handling sports car, buy a used miata. Period.
Old 3/24/12, 06:56 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this question really being asked?!?
Old 3/24/12, 10:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Yes, Trent, your question is being asked. Otherwise, I see no questions here, excepting the one below this box I'm typing in for the quick replay that says "Quote message in reply?", but I'm guessing you didn't really care about that one.

---

You buy a Mustang because.

Others will buy an FR-S because.

If you're worried about performance in *any way*, then these are both not your cars, really.

It is interesting in that it's a lighter car, the FR-S, with a better power-weight ratio. Depending on it's gearing, it may actually give the V6 Mustang a decent run.

But really, there is no comparison on these, they are totally different. I wouldn't worry about it. People are going to buy what they are going to buy... Neither of these are fuel/power/cargo useful items, overall.

/However... just think if Scion/Toyota decided to all of a sudden stick a V6 or V8 in it. The V6 at even 250-275HP the FR-S would be... interesting, I'd imagine.
//But really, yeah, they have to work on the price. Good for Mustang.

Last edited by houtex; 3/24/12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 3/27/12, 10:57 AM

Sort of an apples and oranges thing comparison in some sense, though not a totally ridiculous comparison (two mid-$20K sport coupes). I do think they appeal to two rather distinct groups though, so the right answer really depends on what you're actually looking for.

The Mustang V6 is a bit faster, larger and probably even turns in better raw handling numbers. While ostensibly cheaper, that's probably true only of a real stripper while a more typical Stang V6 probably costs much the same as an FR-S.

However...

The FR-S is not so much about how fast a car goes (it sprightly, but only just that) but rather, how a car goes fast and in this aspect, the initial reports are of a stellar driving experience. Just leave the stop watch at home. A lot of this is just basic, simple physics: its smaller, much lighter, lower (especially the snake like CG) with a nominally better suspension (IRS).

Things will likely get a bit more interesting in a year or two when:

The revamped 2015 Mustang comes out -- slightly tighter, lighter and more adept/agile handling-wise (IRS).

A turbo is lashed to the boxer motor to bring power and torques up to the mid/high 200's. Slightly larger and much stickier tires (than the Prius mileage masters now fitted) will likely improve the handling numbers, if leaving the driving experience much the same (perhaps even a touch degraded, actual fun-wise).

In other words, the FR-S will be posting better numbers while the Mustang will be delivering a funner driving experience, meeting more in the middle.

The used Miata comment is interesting, and perhaps this might compel Mazda to actually produce a Miata-based 2+2 coupe variant -- the demise of the RX-8 will leave that hole in the lineup. However, they don't and a used Miata is, well, used regardless of their peerless reliability.
Old 3/27/12, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Is this question really being asked?!?

This X's 100
Old 3/27/12, 01:28 PM

Why not, in this sub forum?

They are two 2+2 RWD sport coupes in the mid/upper $20Ks. I do see some market overlap and cross shopping -- perhaps not a huge amount, but probably not so insignificant as to make such questions and comparisons moot.
Old 3/27/12, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Why not, in this sub forum?

They are two 2+2 RWD sport coupes in the mid/upper $20Ks. I do see some market overlap and cross shopping -- perhaps not a huge amount, but probably not so insignificant as to make such questions and comparisons moot.
I agree with you, I think they're definitely similar enough to warrant comparison. While I've driven neither of them, I have a feeling the driving experience is going to be very different between the two, and that'll probably be a deciding factor for a lot of people. (putting aside things like practicality and style)

My guess is, as was mentioned above, a V6 mustang, especially with the handling package will probably post higher overall skidpad/figure-8/slalom grip numbers, but the feeling will be different.

I still maintain that the best lightweight sports car one can buy is a used miata though. That's what I'd do, buy a base model sixxer mustang for 25ish and then spend the difference between it and the FRS (3 grand-ish) and buy a used first gen miata.
Old 3/27/12, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

The FR-S and BRZ would probably be better off being compared to each other, (LOL) or a Genesis Coupe. Though that almost 1000 pund difference would be really noticable in a corner. Too bad we don't have any of those where I live.
Old 3/28/12, 08:27 AM

Well, the FR-S and BRZ are, for all practical purposes beyond the merest of stylistic and tuning tweaks, the same car, so such a comparison would essentially be moot.

A Genesis Coupe vs. FR-S/BRZ comparison would be slightly closer, but in actuality, the Genesis Coupe, in terms of size, weight and whatnot, is much closer to the (V6) Stang than the FR-S/BRZ. Now if Hyundai, soaring off their recent success, grows a pair and finally just stuffs their sweet 5.0 V8 in that dam thing, then there really would be a great comparison between the Mustang (5.0) and the Genesis Coupe. Even slapping a turbo/supercharger on the Coupe to get power up into the low-mid 400hp range would make that so.

I see the most likely, though not terribly likely actually, scenario for a true close competitor would come from Mazda and a Miata-based coupe.

Or, is their any talk of a convertible version of the FR-S/BRZ (I don't recall seeing anything to this effect)?
Old 3/28/12, 10:39 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
Sort of an apples and oranges thing comparison in some sense, though not a totally ridiculous comparison (two mid-$20K sport coupes). I do think they appeal to two rather distinct groups though, so the right answer really depends on what you're actually looking for.
Agreed, they are 2+2 coupes but the experience is entirely different which is a great thing actually.
Old 3/29/12, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Mazdas next gen miata should be out by the end of next year. They're looking to drop 600lbs off the already 2800lb car. They want it to be very similar on size to the original miata.
Old 3/31/12, 01:13 PM
FR500 Member

Like others have previously posted, these two cars are not exactly in the same segment. The MX-5/Miata would be a better competitor -despite a lack of sorta rear seats- since both are primarily focused on the driving experience opposed to performance numbers generated. IMO, it depends on what you want out of the car. As a pure "driver's car" the nod goes to the FR-S/BRZ. As a more practical "all-around" car, I give the edge to the V6 Mustang.
Of course, I'm hoping Mazda does a proper coupe with all the Skyactiv tech along with the "Jinba ittai" philosophy of the MX-5.
Old 4/2/12, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Are you guys saying that your V6 Stang handles well? Last thing I remember seeing at the track (Road Track, not Drag Strip), were repeated nose dives under hard braking and body roll that made me dizzy......

And totally agree that these two cars are not to be compared, rather silly.

Last edited by meanmud; 4/2/12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 4/3/12, 08:45 AM

Of course, I'm hoping Mazda does a proper coupe with all the Skyactiv tech along with the "Jinba ittai" philosophy of the MX-5.

Perhaps, presuming a good market reception for the BRZ/FRS, Mazda might be inspired to develop a coupe version of/alongside the Miata convertible. That could certainly better rationalize the Miata platform by increased production to better defray development costs.
Old 5/4/12, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Not sure why Motortrend did it but oh well!
Old 5/4/12, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

As much as I love the Mustang and have a warm place in my heart for it, IF that was my budget I would buy the Toybaru. I just cant resist the double wishbone awesomeness on all four corners for that kind of money.
Old 5/4/12, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Choosing from the two, and being a subaru guy it's a no brainer for me. The BRZ/FR-S are great track cars. I am sure we will be seeing a turbo version in the next year or so as well.
Old 5/4/12, 04:34 PM

Front of brz is strut.
Old 5/4/12, 08:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ManInABox
Choosing from the two, and being a subaru guy it's a no brainer for me. The BRZ/FR-S are great track cars. I am sure we will be seeing a turbo version in the next year or so as well.
Nope, they have said no plans for FIing the toyobaru twins. IIRC there are clearence issues with the boxer engine set so low. Might see something akin to the Boss though with an upgraded NA variant (just a guess on my part, I haven't read anything that indicates as much).

Quick Reply: Scion FR-S vs 2011-13 v6 Mustang