Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Off road x pipe or Off road h pipe

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/12, 07:06 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off road x pipe or Off road h pipe

Hi all I know there is lot of threats about exhaust, but I was reading about differences between both systems and had the conclusion was that h pipe is louder than the x pipe and he x pipe gives you more power.

I have a pair of loudmouth II with catted stock h pipe but I wanting to be louder so I was considering to get and off road x pipe or just an off road h pipe. What do you guys thing that I should be go with?
Old 6/22/12, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd go X pipe with the loudmouths.. But it will be LOUD.

Typically X pipes are better with straight through style axleback like the loudmouths, gives it a very straight pipe "racecar" sort of sound, but can cause some popping and 'backfire' sort of sounds on decel.

H pipes give a deeper, more "old school muscle" sort of sound that compliments chambered mufflers.

As far as performance differences go, some claim that X is better than H at high rpm and is good for a couple more hp, but it's nothing you're going to be able to actually feel driving the car. Saying you went X pipe for 1 or 2 more hp is like saying you're going to drive totally naked to save 5-10 lbs worth of clothing weight. haha
Old 6/22/12, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kevin509
I'd go X pipe with the loudmouths.. But it will be LOUD.

Typically X pipes are better with straight through style axleback like the loudmouths, gives it a very straight pipe "racecar" sort of sound, but can cause some popping and 'backfire' sort of sounds on decel.

H pipes give a deeper, more "old school muscle" sort of sound that compliments chambered mufflers.

As far as performance differences go, some claim that X is better than H at high rpm and is good for a couple more hp, but it's nothing you're going to be able to actually feel driving the car. Saying you went X pipe for 1 or 2 more hp is like saying you're going to drive totally naked to save 5-10 lbs worth of clothing weight. haha
Lol that's a good reference, I thinking to go with x If I would wanted an old school way I would take some Flowmasters, an now the question is: at low rpms the offroad x pipe will be louder than the actual catted h pipe?
Old 6/22/12, 07:46 PM
GT Member

What year is your car? I had slp loudmouths on my 94 gt with long tubes high flow catted x and it sounded so awesome. I received many compliments. As long as you can pass inspection I'd go with offload x
Old 6/22/12, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mdelao
Lol that's a good reference, I thinking to go with x If I would wanted an old school way I would take some Flowmasters, an now the question is: at low rpms the offroad x pipe will be louder than the actual catted h pipe?
The cats are probably the single most sound restricting part of the whole factory exhaust system, so going to an off road pipe of any sort (X or H) should significantly turn up the volume from idle to redline. Of course the difference is going to be most noticeable at WOT/high rpm, but you'll be able to hear the difference all across the rpm range.
Old 6/23/12, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer
What year is your car? I had slp loudmouths on my 94 gt with long tubes high flow catted x and it sounded so awesome. I received many compliments. As long as you can pass inspection I'd go with offload x
2000 GT has only 80k miles tuning like a new. Do you think that I have a chance to pass the inspection?
Old 6/23/12, 11:59 AM
GT Member

Correction, iPhone writes what it wants

2000 GT has only 80k miles runing like a new. Do you think that I have a chance to pass the inspection?
Old 6/23/12, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off-road Pro chamber, best of both worlds.
Just recently pulled out my long tubes and went back to the pro chamber.
Kinda gives it high pitch tinny NASCAR when paired w/ Steeda axle backs.
I've tried most exhaust set-ups on these cars and I came back to the pro -chamber.
Didnt get that 'mustang character' w/ the (x) but it sure was loud and gave the car more pull on the top-end.
Old 6/23/12, 02:00 PM
Cobra R Member

2000 GT has only 80k miles tuning like a new. Do you think that I have a chance to pass the inspection?
I have the same year, I passed emissions with my o/r h and Mac catback. But I don't think they knew what they were looking for. Lol
Old 6/23/12, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

X no doubt
Old 6/23/12, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

It depends on your state and local laws. Where I am, all they do for emissions tests is plug into the OBD port and check the system, and as long as it checks out okay you get the pass. If your area is like that, you can use a tuner to switch off the rear 02 sensors and you should pass as long as it's not throwing any codes for anything else.

If you live somewhere where they do a visual inspection of the car though you might be SOL because they'll look underneath and see you have no cats and fail you. Gutted cats+tuner is probably your best bet in that situation.
Old 6/23/12, 08:15 PM
Cobra R Member

It depends on your state and local laws. Where I am, all they do for emissions tests is plug into the OBD port and check the system, and as long as it checks out okay you get the pass. If your area is like that, you can use a tuner to switch off the rear 02 sensors and you should pass as long as it's not throwing any codes for anything else.

If you live somewhere where they do a visual inspection of the car though you might be SOL because they'll look underneath and see you have no cats and fail you. Gutted cats+tuner is probably your best bet in that situation.
Its funny cause they obd tested my car, and looked for cats (which aren't there) and I still passed!
Old 6/23/12, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
Its funny cause they obd tested my car, and looked for cats (which aren't there) and I still passed!
Maybe you got the 'cool car' pass. My boss drives a Cadillac XLR-V and he said when he last did emissions testing the kid just wanted to look under the hood and hear the exhaust and told him to do a burnout on the way out, never even plugged in the OBDII sensor. hahaha
Old 6/23/12, 08:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe you got the 'cool car' pass. My boss drives a Cadillac XLR-V and he said when he last did emissions testing the kid just wanted to look under the hood and hear the exhaust and told him to do a burnout on the way out, never even plugged in the OBDII sensor. hahaha
That's what I was thinking. They started it and reved it up Hahaha.
Old 6/23/12, 08:54 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
H-pipe will sound a lot cleaner and more even tone. X-pipe will free up a COUPLE extra horses and I stress only a COUPLE. I would go with the H all day long.
Old 6/23/12, 10:42 PM
GT Member

Correction, iPhone writes what it wants
I agree with the info above. It all depends on your states laws. Do they do a visual inspection where you are located?
Old 6/24/12, 06:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
H-pipe will sound a lot cleaner and more even tone. X-pipe will free up a COUPLE extra horses and I stress only a COUPLE. I would go with the H all day long.

and if you want to see what a real X pipe looks like take a look at the Dr. Gas X ( the best X imo) and then the others. some of the others just by design don't even add any hp.

H pipe...it just sounds so much better.
Old 6/24/12, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer

I agree with the info above. It all depends on your states laws. Do they do a visual inspection where you are located?
El paso TX,
Old 6/24/12, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

El paso TX,
You can pay some one of if need be! I went to a inspection place that was "no pass no pay" so I bet they were eager to pass everyone.
Old 6/24/12, 10:51 AM
FR500 Member

Want louder? Throw some longtube headers on along with the off road H or X pipe of your choice. Maybe convert to dumped exhaust pipe routing to rattle the interior for bonus points.

Quick Reply: Off road x pipe or Off road h pipe