Which is Better All Car vs. Car Topics

Need help! 05, 06, or 67?

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/05, 03:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys - got the call today...that I'm SOL. Dealer called to tell me he's refunding my money, theres no way I can get my 05 Now, i have two choices - I can try and order another 05 from a different dealer, who can give me everything I want minus the spoiler delete (check my sig), but for 1500 above invoice (or about 500 off MSRP, however you want to look at it), when i ordered my first 05, it was for 500 over invoice If I want to wait til October-November, I can get the 06 from yet another dealer, who I am friends with and who can get me an 06 for $50 above invoice, he just can't get any 05s. If I wait for the 06, I'll buy a 66 or 67 fastback, maybe do a little resto on it, and have it as my daily driver for the next 6 or 7 months, then sell it to buy the 06. Before you say, do what'll make you happy, remember - NONE of these choices are gonna make me too sad
Old 3/7/05, 03:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Cthulhu@March 7, 2005, 4:04 PM
Hey guys - got the call today...that I'm SOL. Dealer called to tell me he's refunding my money, theres no way I can get my 05 Now, i have two choices - I can try and order another 05 from a different dealer, who can give me everything I want minus the spoiler delete (check my sig), but for 1500 above invoice (or about 500 off MSRP, however you want to look at it), when i ordered my first 05, it was for 500 over invoice If I want to wait til October-November, I can get the 06 from yet another dealer, who I am friends with and who can get me an 06 for $50 above invoice, he just can't get any 05s. If I wait for the 06, I'll buy a 66 or 67 fastback, maybe do a little resto on it, and have it as my daily driver for the next 6 or 7 months, then sell it to buy the 06. Before you say, do what'll make you happy, remember - NONE of these choices are gonna make me too sad
Couple problems with the plan. It'll take more than a couple weekends to do a "little resto" on it. Heck, I'm counting in years, not months on mine. Also, it is very difficult to get money out of a car that you've put money into in the form of parts and/or mods. This would require getting a heck of a deal on the car you buy, and not putting a whole lot into it. Last problem: availability. 65-68 fastbacks (two different body styles, 65-66, and 67-68) don't exactly grow on trees. Lots of people spend months and months just to track down a good car.

That's just the big stuff. There's also all the little stuff that goes into daily driving a 40 year old car. It can (and has) certainly been done, but it takes a special mindset to put up with the little annoyances and lack of conveniences that a late model car would have. Don't get me wrong, it has a definite up side such as all the looks and , but waves and doesn't keep an old car running either.
Old 3/7/05, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Darn Ben. I am sorry to hear that. I'm sure you checked around, I don't have a good answer. Good Luck!
Michael
Old 3/7/05, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I am in no real hurry, so I am gonna order an 06. $50 over invoice for an 06? Thats a no brainer for me...jump on that deal
Old 3/7/05, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Michael, John - thanks for the kind words and advice
Blake, I'm not really trying to make a profit on it, just not losing much money (I don't want to spend 20k on a car and resell it 6 months later for 15k, you know?) But am I being delusional? Can I find a good condition, near daily driver quality 66 or 67 fastback GT for around 20-22k? My family owns a classic car museum, and I've got plenty of mechanics in the family, so I can put some work into it, but I'm not looking for a project car)
Old 3/7/05, 04:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Cthulhu@March 7, 2005, 5:02 PM
Michael, John - thanks for the kind words and advice
Blake, I'm not really trying to make a profit on it, just not losing much money (I don't want to spend 20k on a car and resell it 6 months later for 15k, you know?) But am I being delusional? Can I find a good condition, near daily driver quality 66 or 67 fastback GT for around 20-22k? My family owns a classic car museum, and I've got plenty of mechanics in the family, so I can put some work into it, but I'm not looking for a project car)
Ah, those details really help. Most people, when looking for a classic mustang, have major sticker shock when they realize that a great condition fastback costs over 20K, and a perfect show winner is more than that. Lots of enthusiasts go about it the way I have, buying a car with troubles but potential, and spend a long time bringing them back to life.

You should have no problem finding a really good condition driver in that price range. I had gathered from your initial post that you'd want to go the save-money-and-work-on-it route with the "little resto" statement. With a 20K budget, you ought to be able to get a car that needs little or no work, drive it for months and then turn it around, breaking even or potentially making money depending on what buyer you get.
Old 3/7/05, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Cthulhu@March 7, 2005, 4:04 PM
Who was your dealer?
Old 3/7/05, 04:21 PM
V6 Member

I got the same word (SOL on my 2005 GT order) last week, I ordered it last December. Not sure if some dealers are being more honest - there are a lot of folks in this forum with pre-January orders still being told they will get their cars.

I took a different tack- I went to the biggest Ford dealer in the Twin Cities area and re-ordered the same car last week. They insist that I'll get a 2005 and their price was not too much more. We'll see if a volume dealer can 'get er' done' for me.

Good luck with whatever you do. If I can't get a 2005 from this place, I'm looking to order an 2006 this summer. Until then, I've still got my 1995 V6 convert!!

Brad
Old 3/7/05, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would think you could find a darn nice one for 20k. Does your Family own the one in Lenexa? Again best of luck!
Michael
Old 3/7/05, 04:49 PM
V6 Member

IMO, I'd go for the '66 or '67. If you are handy with the tools and enjoy restoring things it'll be fun for you and give you a sense of accomplishment when you're done. Not to mention I think the '66 and '67s are quite possibly the most beautiful classic cars ever made
Old 3/7/05, 04:54 PM
GT Member

Tim - Went to Bob Allen ford on 95th and Metcalf - nice salesman, they accepted my X-plan, they jsut couldn't get the cars I guess. With my friend I can get a better price than X-plan on the 06, think I'll go there (Louisberg Ford, and I'll let you in on a secret - even tho he's a friend, all their cars are 50 over invoice, so if you are still thinking about ditching the 05 order and waiting for the 06, you might check it out)
Brad- I'd do that too, but the only dealer in town (and i've called over a dozen places around here) wants 1500 over invoice, and theres a place in TX with my exact car that wants over invoice, so the best route seems to be the 06 - like the name btw, reminds me of me Be ready to get an 06, tho - the dealer that cancelled my order WAS the volume dealer for the area.
Blake -thanks for the good info and advice, and even for replying to my thread in the classics forum. Yeah, I wouldnt mind getting a project car and putting some TLC work into it, but I don't have the time really. I'd need to get the 66 or 67 (so much more expensive - curse you Nicholas Cage!!!!) in May-ish, and have it readily driveable, so I'm willing to sacrifice money for time.
Old 3/7/05, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Michael - yep, KC Classic Auto Display. My dad started it in 86, a friend of the family runs it now, but I'm still over there as much as I can be.
Matt - too right you are! My favorite thing in the world is the 67 GT 500 and GT fastback. Guess which one I can afford? I'd love to take the time to restore a 67 shelby, but even in bad shape its probably outta my budget. I'd restore a fastback, but I need to stop driving my 96 town car, its about due for something expensive to break, and I just need a new daily driver (and I've wanted a mustang since I was 7 - no way I'm getting a civic to drive the next 6 months )
Old 3/8/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool, I was just in there last week!
Michael
Old 3/8/05, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Nice - hope you liked it!
Old 3/8/05, 03:28 PM
GT Member

I'd hold off for a bit.

Save your dough, and see what the market brings you in 06.

If nothing else, you could probably find a used 05 for 3-4k less than invoice.

You wait for the 06, most of the 'annoyances' that you'd usually find in a first year edition (for a new platform) should be ironed out.

Also, by that time, the Cobra should be out and about.
Who knows, maybe you can go that route!

Anyhoo, dats my 2 cents!
Old 3/8/05, 03:35 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by Cthulhu@March 7, 2005, 5:04 PM
... If I wait for the 06, I'll buy a 66 or 67 fastback
... NONE of these choices are gonna make me too sad
Pics of classics are great. Dealing with one every day is slightly different.
For starters, make sure the cowl has been repaired. If not, you'll get free swimming lessons. Second, check for rust, specially the chassis around the control arms. Third, be ready to switch to electronic ignition. Fourth, brakes. Give yourself a minimum 200 feet if you drive over 55mph. There could be a lot more. Let me know if you want additional heads up.
Old 3/8/05, 03:40 PM
Cobra R Member

I dont know but these 05 gt's are sure rare around st. louis. By the time 06's come out probably wont be more than 40 in st. louis. Mine should be here tommorrow or thursday.